NYT Op-Ed - How to Publish Without Perishing

Status
Not open for further replies.

narnia

Registered
Reaction score
Interesting Op-Ed piece by James Gleick.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/30/opinion/30gleick.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1&em

My favorite paragraph:

As a technology, the book is like a hammer. That is to say, it is perfect: a tool ideally suited to its task. Hammers can be tweaked and varied but will never go obsolete. Even when builders pound nails by the thousand with pneumatic nail guns, every household needs a hammer. Likewise, the bicycle is alive and well. It was invented in a world without automobiles, and for speed and range it was quickly surpassed by motorcycles and all kinds of powered scooters. But there is nothing quaint about bicycles. They outsell cars.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That is a really interesting article. I am a book lover. I want to hold the (hardback) in my hands. But the idea that a book, out of print, and not found through a re-seller, could be available on Google brings joy to my heart.

MM

narnia

Registered
Reaction score
That is a really interesting article. I am a book lover. I want to hold the (hardback) in my hands. But the idea that a book, out of print, and not found through a re-seller, could be available on Google brings joy to my heart.

MM

So true. I searched for months to find a good copy of 'The Wolfen', long out of print. But nothing beats holding a book ... :Sun:

Status
Not open for further replies.