Help! Christmas gift fail!

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
For Christmas, I was going to make my mother a lap-size quilt. Well, while I was at my folks house for thanksgiving, my mom's best friend came by and gave her... yes, that's right, an absolutely gorgeous hand-made lap quilt. Way better than anything I could ever do. :cry:

So I'm sitting here with a pile of material in all my mom's favorite colors and I don't know what to do. I could possibly get more of the material and make a full-size quilt but I am not sure if I could handle that or if I have enough time. My parents have way too many pillows already so I can't do that. And potholders are just cheesy.

Anyone have any cool creative ideas for something I could make with quilted squares????

vixey

C'est la vie!
Registered
Reaction score
Placemats
Apron
Tablecloth

Deleted member 42

A loose-fitting jacket with pockets. Big pockets. Something to wear indoors and stash the remote or a book in and be warm.

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Jo, I can't think of any mum, anywhere who would not treasure a gift made by her most precious gift's hand. Make her another--one from you, she can throw it across her bed, her favorite chair. Use as a shawl wrap around the house. I promise you, she'll cherish it forever.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Thanks kimmi. :) I know that's true, but I still feel bad that she would get two of the same thing!!!

The problem with making anything wearable out of it is that the colors are not colors she would WEAR - they are pretty bright. And any kitchen stuff is out because my dad is now the cook.

I actually started out trying to make a tablecloth but then I realized the stitching between the pieces would be lumpy and I wasn't sure how to deal with that other than to quilt it, in which case... why not make a quilt?

I don't know, maybe I should just make it. She does have two reading spots, so one for each?

Or maybe I could make it a different shape, more like a shawl...

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
Perhaps a wall hanging? Especially if you can make it so it fits perfectly in an odd wall space (like between two doorways). Maybe even make it so it has slots for mail or cards?

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
I'm thinking the wall art idea is kind of cool, or simply do as you planned to do in the first place, Jo, and make the quilt. What kimmi said. :)

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Snow - I like the idea of slots for mail, etc.! My folks do have an empty wallspace but I am not sure purple/mint green/yellow matches their house. :) But hmmm yeah, that is a good idea. HMMMMMMMMM.

I also found this thing called a quillow? You put a kind of pocket on the backside of the quilt so you can fold it up into a pillow. I thought that was neat and just different enough to be all right.

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
I also found this thing called a quillow? You put a kind of pocket on the backside of the quilt so you can fold it up into a pillow. I thought that was neat and just different enough to be all right.

That might be great, Jo, especially if they travel a lot. It seems to me that something like that might travel/store very well, and something with multiple uses is always a good thing to have.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
How many squares do you have/how many could you make? My mother made a wall hanging once out of quilt squares that works like a family tree of sorts. I want to say it's 12 squares, plus a border... my and my sister's names in one square, then it spirals out to include a square for each of my parents, grandparents and great-grandparents, names and birth/death dates. I don't have a pattern, but I could probably take a photo and send it to you. It looks pretty simple, and you could probably take it as far back as you want.

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks kimmi. :) I know that's true, but I still feel bad that she would get two of the same thing!!!

The problem with making anything wearable out of it is that the colors are not colors she would WEAR - they are pretty bright. And any kitchen stuff is out because my dad is now the cook.

I actually started out trying to make a tablecloth but then I realized the stitching between the pieces would be lumpy and I wasn't sure how to deal with that other than to quilt it, in which case... why not make a quilt?

I don't know, maybe I should just make it. She does have two reading spots, so one for each?

An idea: Take the center piece of the quilt you will make for her to an embroider (misspelled) Have them do something, 'mum like', such as ' a mother holds a child's hand for awhile--but their heart forever... or take a special old piece of your clothing, one your mum knows well, and cut it for the center of the quilt, this way it becomes extra personalized....

No matter, she'll love yours! : )

ETA: A quillow is easy to make, and cool!

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
How many squares do you have/how many could you make? My mother made a wall hanging once out of quilt squares that works like a family tree of sorts. I want to say it's 12 squares, plus a border... my and my sister's names in one square, then it spirals out to include a square for each of my parents, grandparents and great-grandparents, names and birth/death dates. I don't have a pattern, but I could probably take a photo and send it to you. It looks pretty simple, and you could probably take it as far back as you want.

Wow, that's really cool! And I have exactly 12 squares, although I could probably get more of the material. But, uh, my family tree is more like a bush. :)

Okay, I think I am going with the quillow, and I like the idea of putting something significant in the middle.

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com

My sister and I did this for our parents' 50th. Colorful squares alternated with unbleached muslin, and in each muslin square, we had a daughter or daughter-in-law embroider their branch of the family and their wedding date. If there were children, they also did a square for their children. Mom and Dad both cherished it... my sister has it now that they're gone and she cherishes it, too.