Actors and Flash Bulbs

Linda Adams

Soldier, Storyteller
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linda-adams.com
This might seem like a pretty weird question ...

We all know what it's like when a flash bulb goes off on a camera and we're momentarily blinded by the flash. But what about actors who have to walk down a red carpet as hundreds of photographers take their pictures. Are there techniques the actor uses to avoid the worst of the flash bulbs?

Thanks!

RJK

Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:
Registered
Reaction score
I imagine it's just something they get used to. Have you ever looked closely at the eyes of the ladies reporting the news. you can see several bright lights mirrored in them. Those women are staring at the bright lights while reading a teleprompter.

Rabe

the living dead
Registered
Reaction score
This might seem like a pretty weird question ...

We all know what it's like when a flash bulb goes off on a camera and we're momentarily blinded by the flash. But what about actors who have to walk down a red carpet as hundreds of photographers take their pictures. Are there techniques the actor uses to avoid the worst of the flash bulbs?

Thanks!

Yes, it's a very simple technique.

Don't look directly at the flash. And for the most part, when they are walking down those carpets it's not completely dark. Lots and lots of bright lights are already there.

The combination of a bright light source and not staring directly at the flash will keep the flash from being 'blinding'. However, putting one or two out of whack will cause the sensation.

Which is why most photographers (professional types) will tell you to look at a point just behind or to the side of the lens and/or flash area. It helps to create the 'illusion' of looking into the camera but getting rid of the 'flash bounce' off the retina commonly referred to as 'red eye'.

These techniques, however, don't mean you can see past the flashing, just that you aren't blinded by it.

Rabe...

Sarpedon

Banned
Reaction score
I believe I heard a rumor that movie stars started wearing sunglasses for just that reason; that and the kliegl lights. Thats what supposedly made sunglasses fashionable.

Smiling Ted

Ah-HA!
Registered
Reaction score
I believe I heard a rumor that movie stars started wearing sunglasses for just that reason; that and the kliegl lights. Thats what supposedly made sunglasses fashionable.

Klieg lights. The man who invented them was Kliegl, but the lights themselves are called Kliegs.

Sunglasses are fashionable because the movie industry is centered in Los Angeles. Here in LA, sunglasses are really a necessity. Spending a day without them - or some kind of eye protection - is just asking for a glare headache.

Sarpedon

Banned
Reaction score
I consider Kliegl to be correct. If I were to invent something, I don't want people to call it something else just because they think my name sounds funny.

lexxi

bold enough for both those XXs
Registered
Reaction score
Like skaters and dancers 'spotting' when they spin, eh?

Off topic, but skaters generally don't spot while they spin. I know I don't, and I don't even spin that fast.

Closer to on-topic, flash photography is forbidden at skating competitions for a reason. But sometimes fans ignore the rules, and shows with theatrical lighting usually allow it, so elite skaters must get used to it and just hope no one flashes a camera in their eyes right when they're taking off for the trickiest jumps.

Linda Adams

Soldier, Storyteller
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linda-adams.com
Yes, it's a very simple technique.

Don't look directly at the flash. And for the most part, when they are walking down those carpets it's not completely dark. Lots and lots of bright lights are already there.

The combination of a bright light source and not staring directly at the flash will keep the flash from being 'blinding'. However, putting one or two out of whack will cause the sensation.

Which is why most photographers (professional types) will tell you to look at a point just behind or to the side of the lens and/or flash area. It helps to create the 'illusion' of looking into the camera but getting rid of the 'flash bounce' off the retina commonly referred to as 'red eye'.

These techniques, however, don't mean you can see past the flashing, just that you aren't blinded by it.

Rabe...

Thanks! This a big help :)

Smiling Ted

Ah-HA!
Registered
Reaction score
I consider Kliegl to be correct. If I were to invent something, I don't want people to call it something else just because they think my name sounds funny.

The only people who use the lights call them "Kliegs."
So did the Kliegl brothers themselves.
Their catalogs from at least 1950 on list "Klieglights" and "Kliegboards," not "Kliegl lights" and "Kliegl boards."

Last edited: