PDA

View Full Version : Putrid smells and vomiting

sulong
11-30-2008, 08:58 PM
Hi folks. I'm looking for the name of a few substances that people use to rub under their nose's when they enter a bad smell environment to keep themselves from vomiting.

I've seen investigator type characters on the tube do this,but I can't seem to find the names of those substances.

Thanks for any help

Ol' Fashioned Girl
11-30-2008, 09:07 PM
Probably Vicks or Mentholatum.

Mr Flibble
11-30-2008, 09:09 PM
Hmm when I toured the tanneries in Morroco ( believe me they smell BAD) they gave us sprigs of mint to hold under our noses.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
11-30-2008, 10:52 PM
Just confirmed by friend in Forensics: Vick's Vaporub. :)

Noah Body
12-01-2008, 12:00 AM
Well, that one's filed away for future reference. Thanks!

sulong
12-01-2008, 12:21 AM
Thanks a lot O'l Fashioned Girl and IdiotsRUs.

I'm happy that it turned out to be common and readily available items.

Onward with my disgusting descriptions.

Maryn
12-01-2008, 12:22 AM
Trivia you can wow your friends with: you see the characters apply the Vick's just below their noses in Silence of the Lambs, although if you hadn't read the book you wouldn't know what they're doing.

Maryn, quite trivial herself

Noah Body
12-01-2008, 12:34 AM
Hey, Harris coulda been wrong, you know!

jclarkdawe
12-01-2008, 12:55 AM
As well as Vicks, you try to breathe through your mouth, although depending on the smell, it can catch on the back of your mouth. Also, Vicks has its limits.

Showering afterward, lots of showers, is frequently done. I'm not sure it really is necessary, but ...

If it's really bad, you might use airpacks.

Because of the ventilation issues, there's a lot of differences between being in the morgue and recovering bodies. Sometimes you just can't get any air to move when you're in the field.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

Mumbleduck
12-01-2008, 01:46 AM
Also, if you're talking about bad smells from dead bodies - the smell will settle on your skin and in your hair, and it can't be washed off with regular soap, you have to use an astringent, like lemon juice or tea tree oil to break down the enzymes that make the smell stick to you.

Also, here is a discussion between cops about how they deal with the smell that I found while Googling the lemon thing:

http://www.policeworld.net/vb/archive/index.php?t-680.html

Noah Body
12-01-2008, 01:54 AM
Nice find, thanks for sharing it!

Mumbleduck
12-01-2008, 01:57 AM
No problem! In fact, looking at that 'Ask a Cop' section, it looks like that site would be an excellent resource for anyone needing info in the crime/police work area - the internet is great.

sulong
12-01-2008, 03:26 AM
Cool! Thanks guys / gals.
That cop link was well worth the read. And that was the smell I was trying to get to the bottom of.

RJK
12-01-2008, 06:15 AM
The smell gets in your nose hairs and if you have a mustache it stays in there too. You really need to clean it with a good shampoo, use a Q-Tip in your nose.

Back in the day, we used to smoke a lot around the DB's the smoke helped mask the odor. During an autopsy, everyone would light up just before the ME cut the bowel. Whew boy, nothing smells worse than that.

2Wheels
12-01-2008, 06:18 AM
... the smell will settle on your skin and in your hair, and it can't be washed off with regular soap, ... snip

Ah yes, affectionately known as 'Eau d'anaerobe'.

Ulee_Lhea
12-01-2008, 02:31 PM
In Singapore, they make this stuff call Tiger Balm that is like Vick's vaporub on steroids. We use it for going in stinky toilets in Thailand.

Sassee
12-01-2008, 06:49 PM
Also, if you're talking about bad smells from dead bodies - the smell will settle on your skin and in your hair, and it can't be washed off with regular soap, you have to use an astringent, like lemon juice or tea tree oil to break down the enzymes that make the smell stick to you.

Also, here is a discussion between cops about how they deal with the smell that I found while Googling the lemon thing:

I'm now wondering about the origins of lemon-y fresh household cleaners.

/eyebrow