Children's books by other potty-mouthed skanks?

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
Sorry, can't help you.

Though I'm tempted to call Child Protective Services.

Have you read any of The English Roses books, Joe? I have. They're nice little children's books and my nieces love them.

Kind of odd that a writer would so summarily dismiss another writer's work because of what she's done in the past/present in a completely different type of entertainment. *shrug*

I got drunk at a bar and cussed out my boss fifteen years ago. Maybe you should start a thread about "Potty-mouthed bartender skanks" and threaten to call CPS on me too. I'm sure they'll be delighted to hear from you.

Disa

Registered
Reaction score
Website
disawylde.wordpress.com
Come on you guys. Just because she may have made her fame and fortune in the spotlight of the music biz and doing things some people don't approve of doesn't mean she has any less of a heart or an inability to be a fantastic mother. She's quite a shrewd business woman, to boot.

I, myself am quite the potty mouth and skank isn't necessarily a term I find objectionable(ask the dh) - in fact it's why I read the thread :) But there is a time and a place for everything and we as writers should really be more accepting of a person's talents and ability to cross mediums.

Had Madonna published her stories under a psuedonym, you'd be none the wiser.

Last edited:
Reaction score
If she wrote them, good for her.

Not that I know her, but I have a feeling I wouldn't like her personally if I did.

I've been a fan of her music for a long time, though. Never read 'her' books. Sometimes it's hard to distance the public persona I don't like from the product (music or books) of which I'm an admirer.

But...meh. I don't begrudge her any of her success. It's not a zero-sum game. There's room for all of us.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
When Jokes Go Badly Wrong.

-Derek

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
Sometimes it's hard to distance the public persona I don't like from the product (music or books) of which I'm an admirer.

It absolutely is. We have one CD of hers, a gift to Ol' Boy of a compilation of her hits at the time. Would I go to her concerts, buy her books, buy her other music, watch her on TV, see her movies? Do I care if she's happy, sad, rich, poor, successful or not? No. There's a group of 'entertainers' who have made quite a good living pushing the envelope and crossing the line - my envelope and my line, of course, in this instance - and I have no use for them. It amazes me when they finally grow up and try to join the adult world and can't understand why not everyone in it is welcoming - personally or professionally. Anjolina Jolie comes to mind here, too... spends years and years as another skank in a different medium... and now she's Mother of the Year. Some can pull it off, others not so much.

Whether she wrote the English Roses series or not - would they have been published if the publisher couldn't put 'Madonna' on the cover?

Reaction score
Now hey. I won't hear a word against Angelina, OFG. I have a serious girlcrush on her.

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We have The English Roses and have borrowed Mr. Peabody's Apples from the library. Both are good children's books with great artwork and a nice moral. I don't doubt Madonna wrote them, and either are good enough to have been published if written by otherwise non-famous author.

I haven't seen any evidence of Madonna being an unfit parent, ever. I do find it ironic that she doesn't let them watch TV at all because of the "garbage" on there, when she herself stars in and profits from a portion of said garbage.

Reaction score
Have you seen her in 'Original Sin' with Antonio? Talk aboutcher 'swoon'... y'all swoon over her; I'll take Himself.

Listen honey, I'm watchin SWAT just now and...I gots me some serious...um...let's just say if Colin Farrell was here right now, god help his manbits, cause I'd...um, yeah...

Despite the crappy dialogue. "The chief's gonna tear you a new one! Your ass is in a sling!"

Sheesh.

Colin. If you ever read this, I'm yours.

WendyNYC

fiddle-dee-dee
Registered
Reaction score
Her books, if she actually wrote them, are pretty cute. My daughters loved them and they still have no idea who Madonna is.

Serenity

NCIS...
Registered
Reaction score
...cause sometimes you just need a slap on the hea
The books are cute. I've read them to my preschoolers several times. I don't care that she is the person who wrote them (or didn't write them, whichever you believe) I care about the words on the page.

I will share a similar story. When I worked at a bookstore a few years back, we always had several of the current CD's randomly playing. I was checking a woman out when one of Madonna's songs that was popular at the time (don't remember which one) and she was tapping along and said she really liked the song playing, did I know who sang it. I told her it was Madonna and literally in less than a second, her expression changed. "Oh, well, I guess it isn't that good then, is it?" I responded (and I shouldn't have, and got talked to later about it-- although with a smile from my supervisor) "Well, it was good two seconds ago, wasn't it?"

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Her books, if she actually wrote them, are pretty cute. My daughters loved them and they still have no idea who Madonna is.
I wonder what they'll think when they grow up and see her other book - the big picture book with the aluminum cover. It's got a short, catchy name ...
This just can't be the same Madonna that wrote that Roses book we read as children...