A REAL GYPSY COOKBOOK!!!

gypsycook

Registered
Reaction score
Hi guys, I was wondering if anyone thought that creating a Gypsy Cook Book would be a good idea? I hope this is the right place to post this ? If it is not, I am realy sorry, and please let me know where I can go to ask this question, thanks and blessings!!!;)

EssieRatcliff

will finish this story, honest.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
nekoroji.blogspot.com
Well, first off, it's Romanies, not gyspies. I hear they get offended when they're called gypsies. I'm afraid that's the only suggestion I can give. ><'

Mumut

Well begun is half done...
Registered
Reaction score
If there are enough Gypsy recipes which are different and tasty - yes. Also it would help if the ingredients are easily accessible - we don't have hedgehogs in Australia.

gypsycook

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry

But not to many americans know gypsys by romanies, all smiles and no i'm not affended, I am what God created me to be! :)
Just don't know if normal people would realy like the junk we seem to love and fill our bodies with. That is why so many 'romanies have heat failure, maybe? lol..

Last edited:

gypsycook

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Mumut !

Yes there are many different recipes, and naturally normal ingridients, we don't have appetizers, funny huh, never thought about that before, that sucks, because I realy love spring rolls, and wontons, guacamole, I know I spelled that wrong, we do copy however...

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW, gypsycook. I see you've posted this in a couple different places. We'll get them moved to the right place and someone will come along with answers for you in the proper forum. I'll take it to the other mods and see if we can figure the best place for your question.

gypsycook

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Stew21

Hi and I appreciate your help, this is a great site and I am realy glad to be here ! Yay, ;)

cooeedownunder

Grateful for the day
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.australianflavour.net
gypsycook what is a gypsie cook book? What makes it different? I am very curious...I like food, cooking, and well having a drink while I'm eating it. What would be some of the recipes, not ingredients as such, but names of them, and also I think that to do this type of book, you must show us their culture, a very interesting culture.

gypsycook

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Cooeedownunder !

Well I realy don't know if creating 'The Gypsy Cook Book' would sell. I love gypsy food but it is very fattening! I've often though about opening a gypsy restaurant, and then this horrid pic, came to mind, what if the peoples stomach could not handle this flavor, or only gypsys would come to eat and run me out of bus, they never would pay,lol. However not to mis-lead anyone, I feel that gypsy cooking is the most flavorful food in the world. I mean I love chineese, thats num 1, mexican 2, italian 3rd. I mean one can not live by bread alone, unless its Jesus. But for real gypsy cooking we cook with a lot of butter, oil, spices, and love! ok now for some of the names:
Homoko--Chicken stew thats delish!!
Jewache--Halibut stew
Sadma--Stuffed cabbage or bellpeppers(always with pork, unless its Dec.19th or lent
Gougewada--a desert made many different ways with filo
Pelogo--another desert with noodles
corange--another desert with walnuts and filo, almost like baklava
and so more, theres the old peoples food from the old days like horrible pigs feet, kidney stew, yuk, and gounze, intestines horrible! I could go on and on, and by the way, we have no gypsy dictionary, so this spelling is by heart. Now their culture, they love to live, alaways pretend their more important then they are, lol, but realy fun people, and wouldnt like me to delve to deeply with their hidden race. Thanks for asking, I hope this was not toooo long. Blessings

Keyan

ubiquitous
Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone at AW, I wanted to know if any of you think that a gypsy cook book would sell? Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask. Just wanted your thoughts, and if I should ask somewhere else please direct? Thanks alot..;)

I think it would, but I'm no expert. I wonder if it's like Indian food influenced by various European cuisines?

gypsycook

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Kenyan

We dont cook with currys or yogurt, most gypsys have never been in a real indian food restaurant, I love indian and persian and all mid-eastern types, but its hard to get an old dog to perform new tricks, once i took my then aunt in law to a vietnese place that my family loved and she threw up, but i love pho, i wont try to make it but its fun!

cooeedownunder

Grateful for the day
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Anything, well, almost anything can sell if you put the right spin on it. The recipe names you have mentioned have sparked my interest. I know nothing of them (although some are similar to recipes we cook, and my guess other cultures). I think this idea could work if you interwine the recipes with their history and where they came from.

Australians are thought to have a fat filled, tastless diet. But that's just crap. Our ancestors may have lived on meat and bread, and we may still be the biggest meat eaters in the world, but we also export out meat around the world. Some of it is known as the best beef in the world.

We eat some of the most flavourism food in the world and are quite health conscious, but like all societies, we have traditional meals that are our favourites, that we indulge in now and again. And we have traditional meals that are a part of our weekly or monthly diet that are nothing but wholesome. A bit of fat never hurt anyone. Everything in moderation is the key.

I tried to capture what is essentially Australian food overall, a bit of this, and a bit of that, blended with what was. I think you could apply the same principle to your book.

BTW we love curry, that makes us a little different.

I think something like this could do well....i love the idea.

Good luck with it.

Last edited:

cooeedownunder

Grateful for the day
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
If there are enough Gypsy recipes which are different and tasty - yes. Also it would help if the ingredients are easily accessible - we don't have hedgehogs in Australia.

Ah, you are wrong....walk into a cake shop and ask for a hedgehog...they are excellent, not sure were they come from, but they are chocolate, biscuit, coconut? maybe biscuity, cake type things and they are excellent.
icon10.gif

cooeedownunder

Grateful for the day
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Almost every, well every family member from my father's side have died from heart failure, but it couldn't have been their food (well it might have been) but well, my mother's side haven't died from heart attacks... We all have to die from something....and gosh, if it is from eating food, well, I will stop here. We should eat healthy, but food alone does not cause a heart attack but can contribute to it.

But not to many americans know gypsys by romanies, all smiles and no i'm not affended, I am what God created me to be! :)
Just don't know if normal people would realy like the junk we seem to love and fill our bodies with. That is why so many 'romanies have heat failure, maybe? lol..

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Thread in SYW merged with this thread, sorry for any confusion.

-Derek

Ruv Draba

Banned
Reaction score
Well I realy don't know if creating 'The Gypsy Cook Book' would sell. I love gypsy food but it is very fattening!
I would buy it.

I think that the best way to sell it is to combine the recipes with stories and perhaps include a DVD of music -- so that people could hold theme dinner parties.

As for pig's feet, kidneys and intestines - yum! I don't know that such recipes will have general appeal, but you could either put them in a section of 'exotic' recipes, or else put them on a blog. :)

gypsycook

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Ruv Draba & Ol' Fashined Girl !

Everyone here at AW has been so helpful, I'm glad that this site exsists !
You could feel comforatable no matter what race/nationality.
Ok Ruv, I think your suggestions are great, gypsy food/gypsy folk tales/gypsy music, wow, realy cool. And to Sharen from down under you also gave some great advice so thanks. I love gypsy music, alot of buzukis and mandolins, and we even have Christian Gypsy Music thats realy nice too. My husbands 2 cousins have actually play for celebs, but their realy good, sort of like gypsy kings but better, and like alex fox. Now I would probably need the rights for some music, maybe or maybe not, lol.
And yes I will be posting a couple of recipes, Thanks again you have given me hope and desire to try! Peace :)

Last edited:

gypsycook

Registered
Reaction score
Yes You Are Correct !

But them roasted red peppers sure do look tasty.

I dont think anybody would like these, I know I dont lol.:cry: sorry I meant the gounze, pigs feet and other disgusting digestible non-edible foods, yuk...

Last edited:

Disa

Registered
Reaction score
Website
disawylde.wordpress.com
I'd love a whole Gypsy/Romani theme- you could even do a picnic basket complete with a table cloth, placemats, and/or cloth napkins with some of the beautifully colored fabrics. I've always been fascinated by the culture but I know so little about it.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Disa

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
I'd love to see a cookbook like this, particularly if you were able to work in folktales and stories of the Rom heritage in it. There's a great book called the Celtic Folklore Cookbook by Joann Asala which combines recipes with history and legends. A similar approach with the stories of the Rom culture would be a worthy addition to the kitchen.

gypsycook

Registered
Reaction score
Hello

Thanks Smoothseas, Disa & PattiThe Wicked, cute name. 1st, SS, those are red stuffed bellpeppers with pork and rice very tasty, no I was referring to another quote I think Ruvs, when it, was mentioned that pigs-feet, kidneys and intestines wouldn't be such a great idear in my recipes, of which I agree, however they could be placed under exotic, but yuk!
Yes if enough agree I will write 'The Gypsy Cook Book' with some history and gypsy music as well a c-d . You know alot og romanies wont be happy, but this is something I have been thinking about for years, and maybe this is the right time. Blessings & Happy Holidays !