Question for grandparents out there

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
A cousin and I are putting together a book as a Christmas present for our grandparents (I'll do the writing, she'll do the illustrations). But, now that it comes down to it, I've no idea what kinds of stories grandparents like.

So, for all the grandparents out there, what kinds of stories are appealing to grandparents? I suck at thinking up touchy-feely stories that people seem to like, all I can think up is dark, satirical stuff.

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
I'm not a grandparent (not even a parent, actually!) but I'd say many grandparents like stories about their kids and grandkids. Something with the kids pix in it that they can show off to their pals and reflect on and enjoy when the kids and grandkids aren't around.

One thing to do might be to get the kids (your mom/dad, aunts/uncles) together and put together photos of when the kids were growing up, make a story of the kids that gramps and gram can reflect on and remember those happy, young times. The kids will enjoy the recollection, and the grandparents will enjoy the memories compiled. Especially if the photos are rarely taken out or are missing the stories and dates. (How many boxes or books of photos have no names or dates to go with them-- the stories are missing and gramps and gram may not remember as well.)

Of late, my grandpa loves to put his old slides and photos onto CD and pop it in the DVD player when the kids gather. Then they all sit around the remember and try to place who was there and what was happening in the photo.

I know you were talking about illustrations, and I'm not sure how that might fit in... but, here's my idea. For what it's worth. =)

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
I'm not a grandparent (not even a parent, actually!) but I'd say many grandparents like stories about their kids and grandkids. Something with the kids pix in it that they can show off to their pals and reflect on and enjoy when the kids and grandkids aren't around.

One thing to do might be to get the kids (your mom/dad, aunts/uncles) together and put together photos of when the kids were growing up, make a story of the kids that gramps and gram can reflect on and remember those happy, young times. The kids will enjoy the recollection, and the grandparents will enjoy the memories compiled. Especially if the photos are rarely taken out or are missing the stories and dates. (How many boxes or books of photos have no names or dates to go with them-- the stories are missing and gramps and gram may not remember as well.)

Of late, my grandpa loves to put his old slides and photos onto CD and pop it in the DVD player when the kids gather. Then they all sit around the remember and try to place who was there and what was happening in the photo.

I know you were talking about illustrations, and I'm not sure how that might fit in... but, here's my idea. For what it's worth. =)

Actually I love it! And my cousin's both a writer and an artist, so this might fly with her as well. Thank you so much!!

astonwest

2 WIP? A glutton for punishment
Registered
Reaction score
Website
astonwest.com
When my grandparents read my novella (in an earlier form), they asked me about a bunch of words they couldn't find in the dictionary...these would be the words I intentionally made up as part of the language of the locals (in terms of distances).

Oops.

qwerty

exiled Brit
Registered
Reaction score
As a grandma, I'm not into urban girlie stuff, or depressing stories about old people. Actually, depressing stories about anything, which rules out mis-lit, although I did read it when I was younger.

Touchy-feely isn't necessary, and certainly not sacharine-sweet, but something with a positive, up-beat theme is good. Family and friends matter. They can have conflicts - who doesn't? - but some degree of feel-good is what I want when I escape into a book. And humour is always good.

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
Heheh, problem is, I suck about up-beat themes. My stories and novels are all depressing and there's no 'happy ending' in anything I've written. This is going to be quite an experience for me.

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not a grandparent, but my parents are, and we give them a book of our writing every single year. (One of this year's presents is my NaNo project) We also make a CD or two of music (three of us are instrumentalists, two of us sing). One year my daughter gave some of her art work that she'd done for school.

They enjoy anything with our bylines on it, though, as is suggested, stories and anecdotes that center around people they have known, even themselves, seem to be especially appreciated. My dad's favourite piece one year was a school project where I'd interviewed my mother about her role in the church and her faith formation.

Kerr

I vant to bite you
Registered
Reaction score
My brother and his wife put together a family story done with music and just pictures for my folks fiftieth anniversary. It went for an hour and a half and traced their early years through our development, marriages, families, and up to the present. We were all in tears watching. Their life is positive, Dama, and seeing it in stages like that makes the whole family realize that they have been creating their own story each day. Instead of thinking of it as fiction that you are creating, think about it as a documentary that you are recording.

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
My brother and his wife put together a family story done with music and just pictures for my folks fiftieth anniversary. It went for an hour and a half and traced their early years through our development, marriages, families, and up to the present. We were all in tears watching. Their life is positive, Dama, and seeing it in stages like that makes the whole family realize that they have been creating their own story each day. Instead of thinking of it as fiction that you are creating, think about it as a documentary that you are recording.

This would be a good idea, but sadly it was already done by my mom and aunt for their 50th wedding anniversary. So we'll go with the book form.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions! I'll definitely be looking forward to working on this proyect.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
I've been a grandfather for 13 years.

Surprisingly, we don't come from a different planet. We like the same kinds of things real people like. :D I'd love nothing better than for my 13 year old granddaughter to punch out a neat horror story for me.

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
I've been a grandfather for 13 years.

Surprisingly, we don't come from a different planet. We like the same kinds of things real people like. :D I'd love nothing better than for my 13 year old granddaughter to punch out a neat horror story for me.
Yeah, well, my grandparents aren't into the horror genre :D

I think I'll go around the internet and steal a couple of ideas, then turn them into original stories. Who knows, it might actually work.