PDA

View Full Version : Is there a doctor in the house?

underthecity
11-28-2008, 03:50 PM
Because I think I have food poisoning.

It was a typical Thanksgiving day, turkey, trimmings, family, and all that. I did not overeat, plus I ate the same things as everyone else.

After dinner, my stomach was full and I couldn't enjoy any pumpkin pie or anything. It was like that all night.

By 10 my stomach felt weird.

By 11 my pregnant wife got up to use the bathroom, then went downstairs since she later told me she couldn't sleep. She's been doing this somewhat often. She'll spend the rest of the night on the couch.

Midnight I woke up and my stomach felt horrible. I was out of breath, and could only lie on my sides. I kept belching, and it was a "bad" belch.

1:15 I had to get out of bed to use the toilet and emptied some of my stomach contents. Same for 2:15 and 4:15.

5:15 I had to use the toilet for something else. And it was pretty bad. And my mouth was dry.

By that time, my wife had returned upstairs and asked what was wrong, and I told her. She felt fine. Whatever bug I consumed might have only affected me. We won't know until we talk to the rest of the family later.

I didn't sleep hardly at all, but since my wife was up, she went off to visit some Black Friday sales and phoned a little while ago to tell me she found a Blu Ray player for $150

Right now I'm very tired, but my stomach is in knots and I keep feeling rumblings down at the other end. I suppose I'm going to feel this way for much of the day.

Any advice on how to cope? I've only had food poisoning once this bad before and I recall it was a long and painful day.

Thump
11-28-2008, 03:56 PM
Drink lots of water.

Ginger tea might help settle your stomach as well. Sorry, all I can think off >_< I have a stomach maded of iron.

regdog
11-28-2008, 04:24 PM
I'm not so sure about it being food poisioning, since no one else got sick. It may be a stomach flu. Try drinking clear fluids and drinking something like a Gator Aide or Pedilyte or Liqui lyte. They will help to replenish electrolytes. Drink the fluids slowly and take 2-3 times longer to drink than you normally would. You want your body to absorb the fluid, not throw it back up.

I would also advise giving your doctors office a call. I don't like when you said you couldn't catch your breath. It might just be from the excess gas build up, but I'd be cautious of it.

As Thump said, Ginger tea is good and if you are not allergic to ragweed Chamomile tea can help as well. Avoid it if you have a ragweed allergy. The two are related and it will only make you sicker.

Shadow_Ferret
11-28-2008, 06:00 PM
My 8-year-old has been throwing up the last couple of days. Maybe you have what he has.

But as Regdog said, I'd see a doctor.

Darzian
11-28-2008, 06:10 PM
The symptoms do suggest food poisoning, but it is not really logical that only you are affected. Since everyone ate the same dishes, everyone should be food poisoned. As the others suggested, a quick trip to the doc is best.

Fenika
11-28-2008, 06:36 PM
You can get advice over the net, but it's kinda hard to give you a physical. To the doctors

Maryn
11-28-2008, 06:47 PM
I read a week or two ago that there's a particularly nasty GI bug which made its debut in NYC and was moving west. It's a reasonable guess that you've got it, since if it were food poisoning, everybody at that table would have fallen ill.

If you feel really unwell, by all means contact your doctor, but the last time our family had this, the doctors couldn't really do a thing except give the advice I'm about to give you.

If you have a fever, muscle aches, bone aches, or headache, take an OTC fever reducer at the recommended dosage around the clock for 36 hours, rather than waiting for the symptoms to return. Tylenol is usually the best tolerated, but if you prefer aspirin or ibuprofen, they'll do.

Next up, hydrate. This means you drink clear liquids, any kind except alcohol, a lot. Tea is nice, and ginger tea may settle your uneasy belly. So is ice water, flavored water, Gatorade (clear ones only), 7-Up, and especially ginger ale, which settles nausea quite well. (If bubbles bother you, pour your carbonated beverage from one glass to another and back again a few times.) If drinking makes you queasy, try sips--just plenty of them.

If your lower GI problems are, ah, substantial, make sure you drink 8 oz. for each incident, or you could become pretty dehydrated, which will make you feel worse.

After that, it's the BRAT diet.

B for bananas
R for cooked rice, plain pasta, soda crackers, toast and other simple white-flour carbohydrates
A for applesauce and Popsicles
T for hot tea or other clear liquids like bouillon, chicken noodle soup, clear juices, etc.

Avoid all dairy products; all fats and oils (butter, mayonnaise, peanut butter); fiber like whole grains, fruits, and vegetables; and spices except for salt to taste. This gets boring but will help calm the digestive tract, no matter which end of it is in greater distress.

Feel better fast, okay?

Maryn, momming the hell out of everyone lately

Shadow_Ferret
11-28-2008, 07:00 PM
Next up, hydrate. This means you drink ... alcohol, a lot.
I tried this yesterday. I felt great.

Yeshanu
11-28-2008, 08:56 PM
You left out a few key words there, SF. :D

Really, Maryn's given the best advice so far, Allen. But with a pregnant woman in the house, and, as folks have said, the likelihood that it's not food poisoning, but viral, I'm with those who say off to the doc with you, especially if you're not much better by tomorrow.

Hugs.

underthecity
11-28-2008, 11:38 PM
It is possible I caught a virus from someone at the dinner, I suppose. That person could have been a "carrier" and I lost the lottery about who got it.

I did just have another "incident" from both ends. I've been able to taste turkey since yesterday, and just now a bunch more came out, along with my water and red Jello.

I'll try Maryn's advice and see how it goes.

This was NOT how I wanted to spend my Friday day off. I wanted to revise my story and start steaming wallpaper off the walls of the room formerly known as my library.

Sigh.

Yeshanu
11-28-2008, 11:49 PM
Allen, it takes time for a virus to incubate and reproduce to the point where it causes problems like that. Usually a week or two. If you've got a virus, you likely did not get it from someone at dinner yesterday.