PDA

View Full Version : You knew it was coming--what do you do with turkey leftovers?

Haggis
11-28-2008, 06:10 AM
Soup? Casserole? Cookies? Pizza? How do you get rid of all the leftover turkey?

blacbird
11-28-2008, 06:14 AM
We pretty much eat it in cold sandwiches, as God intended.

caw

Haggis
11-28-2008, 06:15 AM

caw

There's truth in what you say. But sometimes I even have the sandwiches without bread.

ChaosTitan
11-28-2008, 06:18 AM
I have a drumstick, two thighs, and some more dark meat set aside to freeze for soup. The rest of the white meat is being kept for sandwiches.

Inkspill
11-28-2008, 06:21 AM
I used to make open-faced sandwiches with turkey and cheese, drizzled with thousand island dressing.
A good use for leftover turkey (croquettes!) can be found here at Lunch in a Box: http://lunchinabox.net/2008/11/25/curried-turkey-croquettes/

Haggis
11-28-2008, 06:23 AM
I have a drumstick, two thighs, and some more dark meat set aside to freeze for soup. The rest of the white meat is being kept for sandwiches.

Do you use the carcass for soup stock?

icerose
11-28-2008, 06:55 AM
We make turkey wraps, sandwiches, and the most delicious wild rice and turkey stew.

C.bronco
11-28-2008, 07:05 AM
Bisquick turkey pot pie

Clair Dickson
11-28-2008, 07:35 AM
We make a dish affectionately called "Herman" (Don't ask-- my family is crazy.) You make a package of noodles. Then chop up a bunch of left over turkey (chicken works too) and ladle out leftover gravy (warmed). You can layer it or mix it together. It's easy and pretty tasty.

Ziljon
11-28-2008, 08:05 AM
Would you like a glass of wine with your Herman?

MaryMumsy
11-28-2008, 11:14 AM
Some went home with my Dad, more went home with brother and his wife. Friday night we will have reruns (the entire meal one more time). And if any turkey is left, it becomes sandwiches on dinner rolls.

MM

Cassie
11-28-2008, 01:37 PM
I suppose there's nothing like leftover turkey sandwiches (on white bread with mayo).

However, when I think of leftover turkey, I always recall, with fondness, watching my father (RIP), who had been asked by my mother to throw out the turkey carcass. He took the plastic garbage bag, which contained the carcass and leftovers, and went out into the backyard (which did include a nice bit of woodland). He wound up and swung that garbage bag a couple of times and threw it into the air, hoping, I'm sure, that it would land in the woods.

Instead, the damn plastic bag, full of turkey carcass and such, landed in the branches of a beautiful tree -- a tree that was in plain sight from our backyard and also the windows of our living room, dining room, and master bedroom.

I'll never forget it .... (so much for leftovers).

Kalyke
11-28-2008, 06:09 PM
We used to make turkey quiche. It was excellent. Ham can also be used. A big vat of turkey soup, put into plastic containers a frozen for later. That's a good way of getting it out of the way fast.

roncouch
11-28-2008, 06:16 PM
The carcass makes good soup stock (I've been told). I had to laugh at Herman. I bought a wig years ago, and my friends nicknamed the wig Herman. :)

Mel
11-28-2008, 07:42 PM
Turkey, gravy, potatoes and dressing get put in a large pan, heat it up then cut the rolls in half and place them on top and cover to steam. Makes a nice thick stew. We have enough turkey left over that some may be used for sandwiches too.

Shadow_Ferret
11-28-2008, 07:49 PM
We heat it up and have leftovers for a few nights until the potatoes and stuffing and other things finally run out and we're just left with the turkey.

The turkey can go into a food processor (my mom used to have a real meat grinder) and turn it into ground turkey. I think she added pickles and then miracle whip to the mash and then we'd have turkey salad sandwiches. :)

Now I'm hungry.

Williebee
11-28-2008, 07:55 PM

Yup. My favorite holiday meal.

Sage
11-28-2008, 08:15 PM
Mmm, turkey sandwiches. I love them more than the actual Thanksgiving dinner.

My parents always made soup from leftover turkey (after cutting off some meat for sandwiches, of course), gravy, and mashed potatoes.

donroc
11-28-2008, 09:24 PM
I throw away the bottle and open another. Wild Turkey for the bourbon-challenged.

vixey
11-28-2008, 10:09 PM
Left it at my MIL's. :D

cooeedownunder
11-29-2008, 02:24 AM
Various Ways of Using Cold Turkey
Mrs Jean Rutledge (1899 - 1907) - The Goulburn Cookery Book

Cut all the meat from the bones, except the legs (which are ecellent devilled); this can be minced, or made into rissoles, croquettes, or it can be curried. Any cold slices from the breast are very nice served with mayonnaise sauce and fresh lettuce.

HeronW
11-29-2008, 02:53 AM
--Turkey club sandwiches are always good: bacon, lettuce, tomato & turkey on whole wheat toast with thousand island dressing.

--turkey & veggie soup: 2 Qt water, add 1 C each: chopped onions, carrots, butternut squash & zucchini, 1/4C each fresh parsley & dill, chopped 1T salt, 1/2t pepper, 2 chicken bouillon cubes/packets, when veggies are soft, add 2C chopped turkey and 1/2 C tiny shell pasta, cook 1/2 hour more.

--schwarma: sautee slices of onions & peppers, warm turkey strips in oil, add garlic powder, salt, pepper and paprika, cut open a pita across 1/3 of the top and dump it in. Add hummus or tahini or some thousand island dressing.

CACTUSWENDY
11-29-2008, 02:59 AM
SHOVE IT IN MY FACE.

(carry on....)

rhymegirl
11-29-2008, 04:50 AM
How do you get rid of all the leftover turkey?

Well, Haggis...

Step by step. I open the fridge. Then I pull the plate holding the leftover turkey out of the fridge. Then I close the fridge door. Then I put the plate on the table. Then I stab some of the turkey with a fork and plunk it down onto a plate. Perhaps I deposit some of it into two slices of bread to make a sandwich. Then I gobble up the sandwich.

Next day: Follow the steps in above paragraph.

And so on.

mscelina
11-29-2008, 04:56 AM
Cats.

Carry on.

Haggis
11-29-2008, 05:11 AM
Cats.

Carry on.

Look. If you want to know what to do with cat leftovers, start your own thread.

mario_c
12-01-2008, 05:55 AM
Monte Cristos, anyone?
ETA by request: basically it's Hot turkey covered in melted swiss cheese, over french toast. Sometimes cole slaw and/or chicken is stuffed in there.

Bmwhtly
12-02-2008, 04:08 PM
Take a slice of bread.
Put it in the middle of a plate.
Pile surplus Turkey on bread.
Drop any other left-overs (particularly stuffing) around the bread.
Warm up the left-over gravy and pour over the whole thing.
You may need additional bread.

Tastygood!

Unique
12-02-2008, 07:56 PM
Friends, Romans, lend me your ... carcasses.

Turkey soup. Mmmm... with noodles, green peas, garlic, bay leaf, carrots, celery, and carcass....

bird bones. so very tasty.

Alas, I have no carcass this year. :(

MissKris
12-03-2008, 09:30 AM
Simmer turkey in barbeque sauce until it falls into shreds. Pile onto fat, round rolls.

Comine chopped turkey with a bag of frozen mixed veg, add a couple tablespoons of butter and a tablespoon or so flour. Cook until heated through. Add a couple cups of half and half and a good cup or so grated (real) parmesan and simmer until thick. Add in some precooked ziti. Serve it with the salad nobody ate on Thanksgiving.

Random spoonfuls of cranberry sauce make me happy.

Turkey pot pie with mashed potato dumplings as a topping. Start with about a cup of leftover mash, add an egg, some fresh rosemary, a touch of cream, and 2 cups or so of flour until you have a stiff dough. Knead it briefly, roll it out, cut rounds and lay it on top of bubbling pot pie filling. Bake in 375 oven until browned on top.

I'm not much of a measurer. Sorry 'bout that.

dclary
12-04-2008, 02:55 AM

eat them?

Don Allen
12-04-2008, 03:23 AM
Okay, here's the thing. I think I have ate my last turkey for a long time. No no no, not what you're thinking, turkey was fine, people loved it, no one got sick. BUT!!!! I'm sick to death of that freaken bird. Turkey this, turkey that, turkey burgers, turkey stew, turkey EVERYTHING!!! Next year its Lasagna, maybe after 49 years I'l get sick of that too but damn I need a break.....

CatSlave
12-04-2008, 03:39 AM
Turkey and grilled cheese panini on my Foreman griller.

Bmwhtly
12-08-2008, 05:21 PM
I'm sick to death of that freaken bird. Turkey this, turkey that, turkey burgers, turkey stew, turkey EVERYTHING!!!Turkey Burgers!

Good Call!

vixey
12-08-2008, 05:28 PM
Unless those leftovers were frozen, I hope no one is eating off the carcass of a 12-day old roasted turkey. Just sayin'.

Chumplet
12-08-2008, 06:47 PM
You still have your turkey from Thanksgiving??? Throw it out, man!

Laurababs
12-11-2008, 06:43 PM
Turkey and Pickle Sandwiches
yum yum yum yum yum yum :)

threedogpeople
12-15-2008, 12:00 PM
Turkey Enchiladas

Prep: 20 minutes
Cook: 25 minutes
Serves: 4-6

Read all the steps to make your shopping list:

Step 1:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Step 2:
1 cup shredded left-over turkey (or chicken)
1 package (8 oz) cream cheese
1/2 cup Pace Picante Sauce
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (or Tex-Mex cheese Mix)
1 teaspoon dried oregano
Optional: well drained can of black or pinto beans

Put all in microwave safe container and heat at 50% until cheese is melted (start with 2 minutes, stir then heat 1 more minute or more until cheese is all melted). Mixture should have the texture of tuna salad, if it is too dry add more Pace (a tablespoon at a time) until the consistency is OK. Stir to mix well.

Step 3:
8 (10 if you added the beans) flour tortillas

Spray 8 X 12 baking dish with non-stick spray. Place 1/2 cup or so of mix from Step 2 in each tortilla, fold over sides and place seam down in 8 X 12 baking dish.

Step 4:
1/2 cup Pace Picante Sauce
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (or Tex-Mex cheese Mix)

Top tortilla roll-ups with sauce & cheese.

Step 5:

Bake uncovered at 350 until the cheese on top is melted.

Serve with extra Picante Sauce and if you want sour cream, sliced black olives, sliced jalapenos, sliced red radishes.

This can be doubled or tripled. I usually triple the recipe and freeze the extra UNBAKED. If you freeze part of it, defrost in fridge for at least 4 hours and bake in 350 degree oven until warmed, etc. Will keep about a month in the freezer.

This is a party & church pot-luck supper favorite.