Why dip your head lights?

Darzian

To-to-to-ron-to
Registered
Reaction score
What exactly is the purpose of dipping your headlights? I swear the drivers in this country abuse it. I've seen them dip their lights in the following circumstances:

1) You are waiting to turn onto the main road. The on coming driver dips his lights to say: "Don't turn cos I'm not stopping for you!"

2) You are a pedestrian at a pedestrian crossing, waiting to cross. On coming vehicles dip their lights to tell you, "Don't cross! I'm not stopping!"

The drivers dip their lights for totally selfish purposes. And it's highly insulting too. I mean, how can someone behave this way? While I was abroad, I noticed that drivers dipped their lights to inform other drivers of something, eg. accident ahead, or some other problem ahead to alert other people.

If one more driver dips his lights at me to order me around like this, I'm going for my axe.

Darzian

To-to-to-ron-to
Registered
Reaction score
Flashing them on and off twice or thrice.

Reaction score
Whut? Why should it be insulting?

Here, flashing an oncomer means 'go ahead'. It's a polite thing to do.

What bugs me are the drivers who dazzle you with their headlights. Dip them for chrissake unless you're trying to blind someone and cause a crash.

Darzian

To-to-to-ron-to
Registered
Reaction score

Here it means the absolute exact opposite.

It's like telling someone 'don't go.' (Mind you, pedestrian crossings have no value here as well. I-can't-wait-to-get-the-hell-out)

Hillgate

On location
Registered
Reaction score
If I were you I'd simply buy a set of headlights plus a car battery, strap them to your chest together with a circuit-breaker, and just flash them around while on foot. You'll fool them all, and in years to come can regale your grandchildren with the story of why you spent a night in jail...:D

Akuma

Rare Writer Pokemon
Registered
Reaction score

What bugs me are the drivers who dazzle you with their headlights. Dip them for chrissake unless you're trying to blind someone and cause a crash.

Well, that's usually my goal when I get behind the wheel. . .

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Here it means the absolute exact opposite.

It's like telling someone 'don't go.' (Mind you, pedestrian crossings have no value here as well. I-can't-wait-to-get-the-hell-out)

Note to self: Next time in US, remember to beware headlight dippers, or get run over.

Yeah it's polite over here - a sort of vehicular 'no, no, after you.'

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Note to self: Next time in US, remember to beware headlight dippers, or get run over.

Yeah it's polite over here - a sort of vehicular 'no, no, after you.'
The OP's in Sri Lanka, according to himself, not in the US. Here in North America, people mostly dip headlights to politely ask someone else to go ahead, just like in most places, I think. At least, that's my experience.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
The OP's in Sri Lanka, according to himself, not in the US. Here in North America, people mostly dip headlights to politely ask someone else to go ahead, just like in most places, I think. At least, that's my experience.

Oops

Note to self: Learn to Pay Attention!

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Just saying, many moons ago my dad was a policeman who took the advanced Mad Max driving course. Everyone was taught that flashing headlights means "Get out my farking way, I'm coming through!" -- a warning to pay attention, not a politeness. A couple of generations later it's gone the other way, flashing means "Go ahead!" or "Thanks mate!"

-Derek

WendyNYC

fiddle-dee-dee
Registered
Reaction score

Yes, that's my understanding too. Go ahead.

At least, I hope that what it means, because I always go!

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
I'm in America.

I was taught that if an oncoming car either strobes his lights on and off at you, or if he rapidly switches back and forth between high-beams and low-beams at you, it can mean one of the following depending upon the context:

1) There is a cop sitting patiently in a speed-trap and you're heading right for him, so slow down.

2) Your high-beams are blinding. Please switch to your low-beams.

3) We both arrived at opposite sides of this intersection at exactly the same time, but you may go first.

4) It's pitch black outside and you are driving with no headlights whatsoever. Please turn your headlights on before you get somebody killed.

Fingers

My cat Toby
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere in the woods around Portland Oregon
I'm in America.

I was taught that if an oncoming car either strobes his lights on and off at you, or if he rapidly switches back and forth between high-beams and low-beams at you, it can mean one of the following depending upon the context:

1) There is a cop sitting patiently in a speed-trap and you're heading right for him, so slow down.

3) We both arrived at opposite sides of this intersection at exactly the same time, but you may go first.

4) It's pitch black outside and you are driving with no headlights whatsoever. Please turn your headlights on before you get somebody killed.

I concur. (for what thats worth)

yer pal brian

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
I'm in America.

Those all count here in Canader, too. I can't possibly imagine a driver flashing his lights at a pedestrian crosswalk for the sole purpose of telling everyone he's an asshole.

astonwest

2 WIP? A glutton for punishment
Registered
Reaction score
Website
astonwest.com

I was taught that turning your lights off and on was for 1 and 4, flashing your high beams was for 2 (though I tend not to do it anymore, since halogens are hard to distinguish from high beams, and when someone returns the high beams with halogens, it's really painful).

I've never used lights for #3.

I've also used turning the lights off and on to let a tractor-trailer know that they were clear to pull back into my lane while passing on a four-lane highway.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with the others that in the US flashing your headlights is an "okay" or "go ahead" or "yes, I see you" type of signal. I use it all the time; and often get a polite "thank you" wave in return. Certainly if you flash your headlights at a semi-truck here in the US you better mean "go ahead", cause that's the way the trucker is going to take it, and he or she is driving an 80,000 pound vehicle.

And yes, sometimes (if it's coming from a car going in the opposite direction) it means there's a cop or an accident ahead; in either case, slow down.

And remember . . .
Red means STOP
Green means GO
Yellow means GO FASTER! ;-)

Last edited:

C.bronco

I have plans...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cynthia-bronco.blogspot.com

In NJ it means, "Go ahead before I change my mind!" Flailing an arm outside the window increases chances of success. Sometimes, one needs to yell, "Move already!"