Why is IMDB a corporate advertising whore all of a sudden?

The Lonely One

Why is a raven like a writing desk?
Registered
Reaction score
I went on IMDB to see when Tim Burton's rendition of Alice in Wonderland will be hitting theaters (March 2010, unfortunately). When I went there a muy big ad about the hip new computer-animated Fival goes West movie (or equivalent) jumped at me and demanded my attention. Then during my movie searches IMDB had the nerve to suggest I take a "Twilight personality quiz." Yes, I have one so I don't like Twilight. Can we move on?

How dare a completely free service for which I have contributed zero and demand magic from try to advertise!

The nerve of some people...

Fox The Cave

I get cancer. I kill Jack.
Registered
Reaction score
And get this - I can't copy a song I downloaded from iTunes and share it with all my friends! They actually have to pay when I already have! What IS this world coming to?!?!

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
IMDb has often had huge ads, many using flash, which slow or stop its other functions, especially its message boards. Internet Explorer isn't very good at stopping the ads, and IMDb is pretty good at finding ways around IE's attempts to stop them, so anybody who spends much time at IMDb is strongly urged to use Firefox with its adblock extension to get there. I haven't seen an IMDb ad in ages, and I go there nearly every day.

(Firefox is free at mozilla.org and takes under 2 minutes to download on a highspeed connection. No registration is required and they do not email you anything, ever.)

Maryn, Firefox shill

Last edited:

BarbaraKE

Registered
Reaction score
I avoid IMDB totally because it usually doesn't load properly for me. (Of course, both my computer and connection are slow so that may have something to do with it.)

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Barbara, back when we had a dial-up connection, we were glad we took the 35 minutes to download Firefox. It opens pages faster than IE. That was an older version, but I bet the current one would load in 45 minutes or less--perhaps during dinner? It would very probably correct whatever problem IMDb is having on your computer.

Maryn, who really does sound like a shill

childeroland

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
It'd be nice, though, if Firefox wasn't such a memory hog. Still, it is a thousand times better than IE, which has all the security of an broken storefront window.

All the big entertainment sites are doing the popup ads.

nevada

Registered
Reaction score
FIrefox rocks. THere are pop-up ads on IMDB? I have Firefox and I've never seen any. I'm as big a shill as maryn, but is it really shilling when the product is obviously superior?

Alphabeter

Player of the Letters
Registered
Reaction score
When IMdB sold out to Amazon, it lost any modesty left.

Firefox also reduces cookies and scripts running. I primarily use Macs and Safari is the IE counterpart. Often it freezes because incomplete scripts improperly hang. So FF is my choice across the computer formats*.

*But true geeks use Linux and Opera.

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
And get this - I can't copy a song I downloaded from iTunes and share it with all my friends! They actually have to pay when I already have! What IS this world coming to?!?!

You pay for music? That's crazy.