PDA

View Full Version : Field Oyster

Calliopenjo
11-27-2008, 06:42 AM
Hi there,

I think I've heard on TV somewhere that the reproductive organs of a bull, when they're cooked, are called field oysters. Is that right?

Fingers
11-27-2008, 06:59 AM
Rocky mountain oysters.

yer pal Brian

jclarkdawe
11-27-2008, 07:58 AM
Rocky Mountain Oysters, Prairie Oysters, Mountain Tendergroins, Cowboy Caviar, Swinging Beef, Calf Fries. All the same thing. And I think there are a bunch more. You might want to look at http://whatscookingamerica.net/History/RockyMtnOyster.htm.

Some people describe the taste as similar to chicken nuggets. However, taste varies with age and species (cows are not the only contributors here).

There's a great scene in FUNNY FARM where Chevy Chase beats the record for eating lamb fries, not realizing what they are.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

Fenika
11-27-2008, 08:00 AM
(cows are not the only contributors here).

:ROFL: Sorry Jim, but I have to tease. You show me a cow making an oyster contribution and I'll show you a freemartin :D

Shwebb
11-27-2008, 09:45 AM
I've heard "mountain" or "prairie" oysters more often, as well.

Ate them, once. I had joined the local fire department (their first female member, actually) and every year we put on a shindig for the other departments in the area. Two of the members are country veterinarians.

They saved up all the testicles they cut off the steers over the last number of weeks before the dinner, and they dredged them in flour and dunked them in some sort of batter before deep-frying them.

How'd these taste? Well, they were a bit chewy in texture; they reminded me and my husband of clams. Sorry, not chicken-y at all. Just a bit rubbery, but not too much. Not even as rubbery as calamari are. Just . . . chewy. And not bad.

RJK
11-27-2008, 04:44 PM
I'd have to a member of the Donner party before you'd get one of them things in my mouth. ugh gross blagh!

Bmwhtly
11-27-2008, 05:31 PM
I've heard them called Rocky Mountain Oysters.

I understand the brand name is Tasty-cicles.

jclarkdawe
11-27-2008, 05:39 PM
:ROFL: Sorry Jim, but I have to tease. You show me a cow making an oyster contribution and I'll show you a freemartin :D

I was thinking along the lines of species such as cow, sheep, pig, goat, squirrel rather than bull (not a steer -- a steer has already donated), ram, boar, billy, pain in the freaking ass (proper name for a male squirrel).

I don't know which way is clearer, but you're right, a cow (as to sex) is not likely to be a contributor, unless it had a sex change operation.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

GeorgeK
11-27-2008, 07:58 PM
mmmm tastey, but they have to be fresh. Like other organ meats they will spoil rather quickly. If it's in a grocery store then they are already spoiled unless maybe they are in the freezer. You need to peel off the tunica (white gristly sheath) either when it is frozen or after it is cooked. Doing that in the raw state will just make a mess. Fry them up in olive oil or butter with garlic, pepper and paprika. Another good way is in alfredo sauce over pasta.

Chase
11-27-2008, 08:58 PM
Rock Creek Lodge in Clinton, Montana, was the site of the city's last Testicle Festival. It's an annual event.

http://www.testyfesty.com/

There in the Rockies, of course the delicacies are known as Rocky Mountain oysters.

Calliopenjo
11-27-2008, 09:24 PM
Thanks guys. :Hug2: