Thrush cures??

Keyboard Hound

Old kid. Tough skin!!
Registered
Reaction score
Back a few generations ago, babies were said to have thrush in their mouths when the white crust formed on their tongues. Does anyone remember the old time cures? My grandma used to talk about having an individual meeting certain requirements blow in their mouth and that would cure it. I cannot remember what the qualifications were.

Does anyone know about this cure or any others that might have been used in the early half of this century?

Thanks so much.

Keyboard

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Thrush is still around - not just an old time ailment. It's a yeast infection in the mouth. Sorry I can't help with any old fashioned remedies though. Puma

Shwebb

She's the creepy-looking dude
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Okay--sometimes babies will get a white tongue that isn't thrush. It's the milk that has collected on the tongue over the course of nursing. I've seen it with all my kids, actually.

Thrush, on the other hand, has white patches which look reddish and even a bit bloody if you wipe off the white part. The white parts in thrush can show up anywhere in the mouth.

In contrast, the milky tongue just seems to show up on the tongue, towards the back of the tongue.

Keyan

ubiquitous
Registered
Reaction score
One that I heard was to feed the baby yoghurt.

kg_crow

Please hold your applause
Registered
Reaction score
Treating Thrush

From the Mayo Clinic

Treating oral thrush in healthy adults
If you're a healthy adult with oral thrush, you may be able to control the infection by eating unsweetened yogurt or taking acidophilus capsules or liquid. Acidophilus is available in natural food stores and many drugstores. Some brands need to be refrigerated to maintain their potency. Yogurt and acidophilus don't destroy the fungus, but they can help restore the normal bacterial flora in your body. If this isn't effective, your doctor may prescribe an antifungal medication.

Treating oral thrush in adults with weakened immune systems
Most often, your doctor will recommend an antifungal medication, which may come in one of several forms, including lozenges, tablets or a liquid that you swish in your mouth and then swallow.

(Treatment for children is also mentioned.)

Wikipedia on thrush

WebMD on thrush

I was on meds that caused Thrush in many patients in my online support group. We just ate yogurt regularly unless it became severe.

TerzaRima

Absinthe O'Malice
Registered
Reaction score
I think, but I'm not certain that application of gentian violet to the mouth for thrush was around in the first half of the century.