Will everyone hate me if???

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
I've seen a lot of posts, both here and on the NaNo boards, about how you neglect other things, like housework, friends, and family, in order to get out your fifty thousand words during NaNo.

Chris Baty himself admits that he lets things go during NaNo.

But me? My house is cleaner than it was at the start of the month. My dishes are done, cats and fish are fed, with clean tanks and litterboxes, laundry done and dried and (mostly, at this point) folded and put away. I've been to see a movie (Twilight, if you must ask) with my daughter, and driven to her rescue a couple of times, as she's dealing with a very heavy school load. I've read a complete book during November, too. I've been to work every day I was scheduled except for the day I drove my car into the ditch. I've dealt with the stuff that needed to be dealt with regarding driving my car into a ditch. I've paid my bills, generally eaten LESS takeout food than normal, and...

Well, you get the picture. It's been a great month, except for the car accident, and everything except the car accident is actually the result of NaNo, not despite NaNo.

Because when I'm in NaNo mode, I CANNOT write for extended periods of time. If you've word warred with me, you'll notice that I'll write for half an hour, then take fifteen minutes for a break. To do dishes, or laundry, or make the bed, or feed the cats, or just stretch. Then it's write some more.

I'm wondering if perhaps this, "Writing requires sacrifice" bit is just a load of...

You know. I haven't even really sacrificed my addictions -- I've posted more on AW this month than I have in a very long while, and I've been keeping up with Neopets and lolcats.

What I haven't done, for the most part, is lollygag around, doing nothing. I work best under pressure, and the more I have to do, the more I get done, which is why I'm going to try the NaNo experience two or three more times this year.

Has anyone else had a similar experience of heightened productivity in everything?

The Lonely One

Why is a raven like a writing desk?
Registered
Reaction score
Hate you, no.

Feel like crap (looks at messy room/dishes/unfed animals/unpaid bills/unread books/unfinished Nano), yes.

Reaction score
Yep yep yep.

I agree with you on the 'writing requires sacrifice' thing. I get it all the time. "It's all right for you, you're young/healthy/single/whatever," as if these people know anything about my life.

No, it's about organisation. Using your time wisely.

Ever heard the saying, "If you want something done, ask a busy man?" It's true.

The more you do, the more you find you can do.

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Yep yep yep.

I agree with you on the 'writing requires sacrifice' thing. I get it all the time. "It's all right for you, you're young/healthy/single/whatever," as if these people know anything about my life.

No, it's about organisation. Using your time wisely.

Ever heard the saying, "If you want something done, ask a busy man?" It's true.

The more you do, the more you find you can do.

The most laughable thing about all this is that I have a reputation as the least organized person in the world.

I just don't sit around doing nothing with the 'holes' in my time when I'm in work mode, that's all.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
I've always operated that way. The busier I am, the more things get done. On the other hand, my productivity absolutely plummets if I only have nothing to do.

Last spring, I was either working 9-5 or going to class all day, getting back around 6 and hitting the gym for an hour, making dinner, finishing homework right away, doing chores, making time to watch a movie or hangout later in the evening. Now that I'm out of school and unemployed I can't even make myself put sheets on my bed, haha.

Reaction score
I'm like that too. Once I start physical work, I need to keep going. I hate fannying around doing nothing when I've already started a particular chore.

In fact I have a routine - one room a day, and no room takes longer than half an hour to clean top to bottom. Chores get done, I have more time to write.

Was it Parkinson's Law which states work expands to fit the time available? Well to stop me feeling as if I've wasted my day by only doing a few pieces of ironing or washing the dishes, I like to keep moving. Get lots done.

Course, that might just be a monumental case of displacement to avoid actually writing...

I'm going to do the dishes now.

(Word war this evening, anyone)? :D

Reaction score
I've always operated that way. The busier I am, the more things get done. On the other hand, my productivity absolutely plummets if I only have nothing to do...

Quoted for:
  • Truth
  • and sheer "ZOMG! YOU TOO???"

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Well you've got a project for the next few days at least, katie. I'm trying for six thousand words tomorrow, which will put me over the 50k mark. I expect to see you in the word war thread, and well over 30k by the time we finish the day. :D

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
I'm wondering if perhaps this, "Writing requires sacrifice" bit is just a load of...

Hooey? Yep. I'm shocked at how smoothly NaNo fitted into my life despite multiple business trips, work issues, etc. It was an eye-opener and got rid of any lingering excuses I had on not having enough time to write. I do have enough time. I simply have to learn how to use what I have.

Reaction score
I may very well finish NaNo this evening, folks. Expect gargantuan amounts of showing off and ghey cooteez all round. :D

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Hooey? Yep. I'm shocked at how smoothly NaNo fitted into my life despite multiple business trips, work issues, etc. It was an eye-opener and got rid of any lingering excuses I had on not having enough time to write. I do have enough time. I simply have to learn how to use what I have.

And I notice from your word count that I have yet another companion for tomorrow's "finish or die" exercise in writing.

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
I may very well finish NaNo this evening, folks. Expect gargantuan amounts of showing off and ghey cooteez all round. :D

I thought you gave out the hetero cooteez? I already have ghey cooteez, thanks. :tongue

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Well you've got a project for the next few days at least, katie. I'm trying for six thousand words tomorrow, which will put me over the 50k mark. I expect to see you in the word war thread, and well over 30k by the time we finish the day. :D

:D Yeah, I haven't updated my word count in awhile... heh. I'm higher than whatever number I've posted, though, so that's plus. It's been six months since I graduated and yeah, it's geting to me. Writing was a good break for the first week, and it's time to be serious again. I want to hit 33 today and keep a steady 5-6k so I can finish on Saturday.

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
This weekend will be a huge challenge because of the holiday madness. I may be butting right up against the midnight deadline!

Reaction score
I'm trying to be ghey for the purposes of research. :D

When in Rome, etc etc. Or should I say Gheytopia. (That's a real place, you know).

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
I was in tech week for two shows during NaNo, was in school for eight hours a day, college applications...senior year doesn't let you let everything go, unfortunately.

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
I also applied early decision to an Ivy league school and was the lead in this show.

so basically I PWN at life.

(I lied about two shows, though. got confused. two shows was last year. just one this time)

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
I would hate all of you, except you're (most of you, anyway) wimmen, and my "well, I still have a chance with her" gene won't allow me to.

So consider yourself lucky.

Or not, as the case may be.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Naw, no hating here. One thing I found through doing this is that I really am doing too much by myself, instead of asking other people in this house to help do their fair share. It was good for them to step up and help out more, and it was good for me to focus on something that matters to me.

And we all learned that the house won't fall apart if I don't vacuum twice a day. :D Though I'm glad I can do it again...this place just...eww if I don't.

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I've had the same experience as you, Yeshanu. I've loved this month; I've felt high for most of it, and it's all because of NaNo. The actual writing takes about an hour and a half to two hours each day, most days in one sitting (aside from breaks for a drink, etc.)

NaNo isn't the same as a deadline - those make me feel stressed, pressured and agitated. Instead, it's been about the regular habit of writing prose and being creative, and seeing the mounting word count and the developing story and feeling productive. I've also posted on AW more than I usually do, in the evenings particularly. It feels like time I've earned to just hang out with my lovely writing peers. :)

Reaction score
Naw, no hating here. One thing I found through doing this is that I really am doing too much by myself, instead of asking other people in this house to help do their fair share. It was good for them to step up and help out more, and it was good for me to focus on something that matters to me.

And we all learned that the house won't fall apart if I don't vacuum twice a day. Though I'm glad I can do it again...this place just...eww if I don't.

Plus, Letoprawn with Farrell sprinkles means I wubs you forever.

(NOT YOU, DEEK. STOP HUMPING MY LEG).

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, a definite value-added. :D

Hey, hurry up and finish if you want the last episode!

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
I took a peek at that "sacrifice" thread on the NaNo boards. I wonder how much of it is real and how much of it is self-created drama on what a "real" writer's life is supposed to be like? Or am I being too practical?

I like this thread much better. :D