PDA

View Full Version : What are your hobbies outside of writing?

cethklein
11-26-2008, 08:43 PM
And do any of said hobbies somehow correlate to your writing?

scarletpeaches
11-26-2008, 08:47 PM
Well, I really can't tell you my favouritest one, so we'll skip over that.

Reading.
Um...
Nope, you got me.

Writing and reading are my two favourite (mentionable) hobbies. Actually they're more than hobbies but you know what I mean.

Alpha Echo
11-26-2008, 08:49 PM
Photography
Running
Hiking
Scrapbooking
Cooking/baking
SCUBA - though I'm not yet certified

Everything I do goes into my writing. Everything I do gives me another experience and more knowledge that I can use in my writing.

Those are my hobbies, things I do regularly, but there are so many other things I love to do when I get a chance and/or things I'd like to do one day.

Kitty Pryde
11-26-2008, 08:50 PM
Skiing (and teaching skiing to people with disabilities)--um, sometimes I write stories about skiers...
Cycling--loads and loads of time to ponder the plot while the road flies by under my wheels :)
Baking--er, I like to eat cookies while I'm editing to make the process more pleasant?
Sewing--uh, uh, uh, if I sew up something really warm I can snuggle up in it while I'm writing? I may be stretching a little bit.

The Lonely One
11-26-2008, 08:50 PM
Love the avatar...

Um, guitar, audio engineering, singing (poorly). What else what else...
I think that about wraps it up for hobbies.

Inkyhoof
11-26-2008, 08:52 PM
Hmm.. I'd go with drawing/painting, anything art-related really. That sometimes helps with inspiration, you know.

Hores riding, ice skating... those don't really refer much to my writing as such, really, but sports get my mind off things and clear my head.

Apart from that, there's the obvious; hanging out with friends, partying, going out.

Cranky
11-26-2008, 08:55 PM
Well, reading wins hands down right now. When the kids are older and I have more free-time, I think I'l take an art class. I like to sketch, and I'm not half bad, but I'd like to work on it some more.

I also like biking, and I'd love to learn how to make pottery as well.

Mad Queen
11-26-2008, 09:00 PM
Web design: it requires creativity, like writing, except I have no talent for web design, still I try.
Programming: writing programs is a lot like writing a novel, but there are some important differences (ie, more precision, more logic and math).
Cooking: if you're trying to create a dish that suits your tastes, you'll have to try and adjust your recipe many times. I wish I could eat my novel drafts too.

tehuti88
11-26-2008, 09:02 PM

I like to take nature photos, especially of trees. This relates to my writing when I'm taking pictures of Mackinac Island, since I write a fantasy version of it. :D

I like to read and learn about the things I write about, so that relates to my writing.

I like to listen to music...which I often visualize as the soundtrack to my writing.

I like to walk sometimes...especially on Mackinac Island, which as I already said, relates to my writing.

I draw once in a great while...primarily scenes from my writing.

I'm sure I do other things but those are the main ones. As you can see, most relate to my writing.

Oh. Sometimes I do jigsaw puzzles, which do not relate to my writing...though I can think about my writing while doing them.

willietheshakes
11-26-2008, 09:12 PM
Chronic masturbation

That's about all I have time for (aside from the absorption of movies, tv and music...)

vixey
11-26-2008, 09:18 PM
Tennis
Cooking
Piano (but I don't have one at the moment :( )
Knitting
Reading

And I do various types of volunteer work, but I don't consider that hobbies. Just something I do outside of writing.

CaroGirl
11-26-2008, 09:21 PM
I have so much going on I often fear I do nothing particularly well.
For hobbies, apart from my kids and everything kid related, I like cooking and baking (belong to 3 cooking/gourmet groups), reading (and writing, of course), downhill skiing, hiking, drinking red wine and eating chocolate.

Nothing, aside from reading and writing, is really related to writing. I went sky diving once and haven't even managed to get that experience into a story yet.

Alpha Echo
11-26-2008, 09:23 PM
drinking red wine and eating chocolate.

Oh, I forgot these two very important items!!

BlueLucario
11-26-2008, 09:23 PM
I enjoy reading and researching, and I also love online gaming. :)

ummm, don't want to come off as a party pooper, but I don't think this belongs in Novels, maybe somewhere else.

scheherazade
11-26-2008, 09:37 PM
Talking about writing
Reading books on writing
Complaining about how I don't write enough
Making plans to write more
Sharing writing with friends
Visiting AW
Researching ideas online
Watching movies and TV to inspire ideas
Reading books and magazines to inspire my craft
Going to the gym

DeleyanLee
11-26-2008, 09:38 PM
Crocheting multicolored Celtic knotwork afghans
Making people laugh
Playing with the dogs
Cuddling my cat
Reading novels
Hanging with friends (live or on-line chatting)

All of the above have nothing to do with my writing--which is how I want it.

Reading non-fiction (particularly history)
Analyzing novels
Discussing books, publishing and related topics

These can or could impact my writing, which is how I want it.

Akuma
11-26-2008, 10:09 PM
Running (great for letting your mind wander, I've gotten over several blocks with this)
Reading
Listening to music (greatest human invention, next to writing of course)
Practicing kissing on a large stuffed Charmander

Er, scratch that last one.

RJK
11-26-2008, 10:09 PM
When I was younger, it was woodworking. I have a complete woodshop in my garage. as the years went by, arthritis has made that hobby more difficult and less enjoyable, so now I read for enjoyment.

ishtar'sgate
11-26-2008, 10:38 PM
My next greatest passion is growing grapes. I love the challenge of our northern climate. This past spring I set aside a piece of land and started a vineyard. Only a few vines this year so I can do a bit of experimenting and learn what will and won't work up here. I feel very fortunate because writing and growing plants is a perfect fit. I like to let my writing 'rest' for a few months before starting revisions anyway and I can throw myself wholeheartedly into gardening without giving a second thought to my novel. Around August/September I begin to get restless, just about the time I'm ready to harvest my vegetable garden and my grapes. Once the harvest is complete, the beds are cleared out and my compost piles are turned and 'cooking', it's time to give all my attention to writing.

Clair Dickson
11-26-2008, 10:38 PM
Reading.
Working on computers-- I actually enjoy trouble-shooting computer problems. Especially MS.Office. But I don't get much to trouble-shoot at home since I beat my computer into submission.
Pokemon TCG (with Hubby)

Sadly, I don't really have much time for hobbies, when I think about it. Most of the time I'm not working one of my jobs, or doing Grad School homework, I'm writing. Or reading.

And I bake, but I wouldn't call that my hobby. It's necessity since life thought it would be funny to make the Queen of Convenience food allergic to two of the most common ingredients: Gluten (wheat) and Corn (including corn syrup!). Ha ha, Life...

Does AW count as a hobby? ... fine, I'm going back to work. =P

jennontheisland
11-26-2008, 10:42 PM
Cooking. First thing I started writing for publication was a cookbook. I was 12.

Crafty stuff. I'm making my own Christmas cards for the 5th year in a row...ribbons, decaupage, that kind of stuff. I'm making spa boxes for gifts; bath salts, etc, with herbs from my garden. I'll be trying soap this summer.

They don't really figure into my writing.

And research? More of an addiction than a hobby, but defiinitely useful, if I can keep it in check.

maxmordon
11-26-2008, 10:45 PM
Well, I really can't tell you my favouritest one, so we'll skip over that.

Reading.
Um...
Nope, you got me.

Writing and reading are my two favourite (mentionable) hobbies. Actually they're more than hobbies but you know what I mean.

Ditto.

underthecity
11-26-2008, 11:05 PM
I'm restoring a 1967 Mercury convertible when I'm not writing. That's actually a more current hobby.

I have a player piano I've about 75% restored. That's kind of a hobby, but it's on hold.

I appreciate old music and collect 78 RPM records. Specific ones, not just any.

I restore antique radios from the 1930s and '40s and sell them on eBay, that is, when I find one restorable.

RainyDayNinja
11-26-2008, 11:22 PM
I like to play trading card games, and my urban fantasy MC gets arrested when his cards are mistaken for occult talismans. Which is about how my parents felt when they found out I had been playing Magic: the Gathering at school...

Dale Emery
11-27-2008, 12:03 AM
Writing and recording goofy tunes (http://dale.emery.name/songs/).

illiterwrite
11-27-2008, 12:08 AM
Between kids and house and husband, I barely have time for writing. I used to play the piano, back in the BK days (before kids). Now I'm shoved from the bench. It's sad, I tell you.

Though I do still drink.

Mr Flibble
11-27-2008, 12:11 AM
Reading fiction
Learning new things - I try for the 'you learn something new every day'
Ensuring my kids don't grow up into psycho killers
And WAAAAAAAAAAAARGHHH! which roughly translated means I love MMO's and am into WAR at the moment.

JoNightshade
11-27-2008, 12:17 AM
I'm a crafty person. :) That is, I don't have a specific craft hobby, but I like to make whatever can be made. Planter box, charging station, re-upholstering chairs, refurbishing end table, quilts, costumes, whatever. My dad is a carpenter and my mom's hobby is sewing, so between the two of those I'm a complete DIY unit. :)

Other than that, I am DM (dungeon master) for a weekly Dungeons and Dragons group. I also am usually attending a bible study. Does that count?

Oh, and I am not very diligent about it right now, but I am slowly (very slowly) learning Chinese.

I also like to fiddle around on the computer. Currently I'm organizing family photos and working on designing some blogs. A couple of weeks ago I learned CSS so I'm having fun with that.

ETA: Forgot the related-to-writing part. Yes, all of it is related to writing. I have always been the kind of person who is interested in EVERYTHING, so learning new stuff is all just fodder for writing. I also forgot to mention my hobby of researching weird medical conditions, and that goes into it too.

jennifer75
11-27-2008, 12:19 AM
Beer. My most favoritest hobby of all.

Then I'd have to say being outdoors is next in line. Not necessarily hiking or climbing, cause that's strenuous, and I'm always looking for ways to relax. Parks, oceanviews preferrably, beaches, grass and sunshine. Thats my hobby: piece of mind, relaxing.

Oh and watching it rain. I LOVE RAIN. We don't get nearly enough ot it and RIGHT NOW IT IS RAINING.

The Lonely One
11-27-2008, 12:20 AM
Other than that, I am DM (dungeon master) for a weekly Dungeons and Dragons group.

What a NERD! Cool kids collect Star Wars figures and play DOS text RPG's.

Elwolf
11-27-2008, 12:21 AM
I like to read and--of course--go on the internet and post! I also like to look for new books to read.

Elwolf
11-27-2008, 12:23 AM
Hmmm. What do nerds do again?

BlueLucario
11-27-2008, 12:27 AM
Hmmm. What do nerds do again?
Get out of the tiny box and get eaten? ;)

Deccydiva
11-27-2008, 12:31 AM
Before I moved to Ireland I raced dinghies at top level then as I got older and less fit I moved into cruisers and sailed 6,000 miles singlehanded which was quite exciting at times, especially when I was shipwrecked. For the last 13 years I've been showing Dalmatians and I don't know how I ever managed to live without them. Apart from now when they're hollering to be let out for an inspection of the garden... ;) Better answer the call...

Ah, just remembered - I played the flute at school and I was in the County orchestra, and have the dubious distinction of winning my class at the Glasgow music festival two years running. I stopped playing a long time ago but I still have a love of music.

Mr Flibble
11-27-2008, 12:32 AM
Other than that, I am DM (dungeon master) for a weekly Dungeons and Dragons group.

Snap! Nothing like having a group of level ones and saying 'You might want to look up. There's a a dragon.'

Muhahahahaha!

willietheshakes
11-27-2008, 12:38 AM
Though I do still drink.

:o

I'm shocked -- SHOCKED! -- I tell you.

FOTSGreg
11-27-2008, 12:57 AM
Reading, drinking (beer & hard ciders for the most part), walking my dogs, working (I work security as a means of paying my bills), designing games, digital art.

darrtwish
11-27-2008, 01:00 AM
Well I read a lot. Other than that I play darts in a house league at the local Legion, and get to compete in tournaments, which is always exciting...This year I'm going all the way to Provincials! You wait and see! ;)

illiterwrite
11-27-2008, 01:23 AM
:o

I'm shocked -- SHOCKED! -- I tell you.

I know, it's hard to believe. And you saw me on a school night.

Shadow_Ferret
11-27-2008, 01:39 AM
I'm married with children, so I don't have any time, or money, for hobbies.

But if I did, then I'd:
play guitar
read
collect vinyl albums and play them
collect swords
collect beer steins
relearn Tai Chi
collect and watch classic movies of the 30s and 40s
collect old books
collect Silver Age comics
collect Old Time Radio programs and listen to them with the lights out and a large bowl of popcorn
play with my dogs
hang out in bars
brew my own beer

Varthikes
11-27-2008, 01:51 AM
:eek: Wait. There's a life beyond writing?!

Seriously, though... I love to travel, especially to the mountains and National Parks. And, camping. Such places tend to find their way into my writing.

I also love to read and stargaze.

WendyNYC
11-27-2008, 01:56 AM
In the summer, I kayak, swim, play tennis and golf (badly), and stay pretty active.

In the winter, I pretty much just sit around and watch my butt get big. Oh, and I do a little yoga.

JoNightshade
11-27-2008, 01:59 AM
What a NERD! Cool kids collect Star Wars figures and play DOS text RPG's.

Did I forget to mention my massive comic book collection? :)

roseangel
11-27-2008, 02:22 AM
Reading
Sewing
Knitting
Crocheting
Soapmaking
Cooking
Video Games
Cats
Doodling
Game Making
Lurking
Learning new hobbies

MsK
11-27-2008, 02:24 AM
My next greatest passion is growing grapes. I love the challenge of our northern climate. This past spring I set aside a piece of land and started a vineyard. Only a few vines this year so I can do a bit of experimenting and learn what will and won't work up here. I feel very fortunate because writing and growing plants is a perfect fit. I like to let my writing 'rest' for a few months before starting revisions anyway and I can throw myself wholeheartedly into gardening without giving a second thought to my novel. Around August/September I begin to get restless, just about the time I'm ready to harvest my vegetable garden and my grapes. Once the harvest is complete, the beds are cleared out and my compost piles are turned and 'cooking', it's time to give all my attention to writing.

That just sounds so wonderful- lucky you! :)

Reading
Music
Listening to live music in small venues
Weight training
Hiking
Drinking red wine, wine parties, wine vacations
Spa days, spa vacations
Relaxing vacations at tropical resorts (I once had someone tell me I was really good at vacationing... and he was serious :) )

I just realized that several of my hobbies are completely out of my budget right now. :cry:

Deccydiva
11-27-2008, 02:40 AM
Oooops, I forgot the second part of the question. I was still hyped up earlier, now I have dragged a whole tripe out of the boot of the car and spend an hour converting it into dog portions I'm back on earth.

How do my hobbies relate to writing...

"The Declan Diaries" is set in present day Ireland and the dog showing scene in particular;
"Cascade" revolves around the cruising yachts off the Essex Coast;
"Counterpoint" involves an orchestra;
"Letters From a Greener Land" is about an English woman moving to Ireland on her own. There's a bit more to it than that, but you get the drift... :)

donroc
11-27-2008, 03:03 AM
Reading outside my genres for pleasure
Researching
Delicious wines, cognacs/Spanish brandy, aged scotch
Caucasion, Central Asian, and Persian tribal rugs
Conversations with good friends

Akuma
11-27-2008, 03:10 AM
Reading outside my genres for pleasure
Researching
Delicious wines, cognacs/Spanish brandy, aged scotch
Caucasion, Central Asian, and Persian tribal rugs
Conversations with good friends

Dang, I hope I'm half as distinguished and cultured as you when I'm older.

Gary
11-27-2008, 03:31 AM
Reading
Carving wild birds from wood
Painting with oils
Cabinet building
Restoring cars
Gardening

Except for reading, I guess none of them pertain to writing, unless they fall into the category of art, or creating things.

jennifer75
11-27-2008, 03:36 AM
Dang, I hope I'm half as distinguished and cultured as you when I'm older.

I know. I bet he was puffin a fine cigar or pipe while he typed that. Snifter in hand. In his library filled with leather bound books, smelling of rich mahogany. As his trusty mut lay at his side.

jennifer75
11-27-2008, 03:38 AM
That just sounds so wonderful- lucky you! :)

Reading
Music
Listening to live music in small venues
Weight training
Hiking
Drinking red wine, wine parties, wine vacations
Spa days, spa vacations
Relaxing vacations at tropical resorts (I once had someone tell me I was really good at vacationing... and he was serious :) )

I just realized that several of my hobbies are completely out of my budget right now. :cry:

This all sounded FABULOUS until I saw weight training.

wyntermoon
11-27-2008, 03:39 AM
Ghost hunting
Reading
Travel
Crafty bits
Tarot
I make homemade granola like there is no tomorrow :D

EndlessDestiny
11-27-2008, 04:19 AM
I love reading, hanging out with friends, and drawing. I like to draw the characters from my stories.

stormie
11-27-2008, 04:23 AM
Reading. Just reading. I'm so boring.... :)

Tepelus
11-27-2008, 04:23 AM
Gardening, and new this year I began breeding daylilies, my favorite garden plants. I used to draw a lot in high school, and I am very good at it, but I've fallen away from it unfortunately. I like to draw the characters in my stories as well.

mscelina
11-27-2008, 04:24 AM
*sigh*

rewriting.

caromora
11-27-2008, 04:24 AM
I like to crochet, read, play computer and video games (Sims 2, any in the Zelda and Final Fantasy series, many more), and work with animals.

scarletpeaches
11-27-2008, 04:25 AM
People-watching.

gypsyscarlett
11-27-2008, 09:23 AM
reading
writing
watching classic flicks (silents thru 50s)
occult studies and practices
dream work
astrology
tarot
knitting
animals
just being with nature
crosswords and cryptograms
chess
walking and working out
visiting museums
traveling
history-specifically 19th c.

Akuma
11-27-2008, 09:39 AM
Ghost hunting
Reading
Travel
Crafty bits
Tarot
I make homemade granola like there is no tomorrow :D

I've never been ghost hunting but I've always wanted to. It wouldn't be the first time I wandered through a cemetery at night. Alone. Like a creep.

What's it like? How do you get ready for it? Seen anything? Huh? Huh? :popcorn:

Atlantis
11-27-2008, 10:29 AM
I play Wii alot. I'm playing Metorid Prime Corruption at the moment. I'm stuck on level two. I keep rolling round these shafts then coming out the wrong one and plunging to my doom. lol. I also read, watch dvds, go to the movies, shop, etc, etc.

Bombdirt
11-27-2008, 10:43 AM
I've never been ghost hunting but I've always wanted to.
It's fun stuff. We should start a ghost hunting thread (if there isn't one already, I haven't checked).
As far as my other interests go...
I play guitar for the world's most dangerous band
I'm enamored by astronomy, biology, and strangely enough: random pop culture. Anything but math. Ugh. Math blows.:)

Flay
11-27-2008, 10:57 AM
Kvetching.

foonting
11-27-2008, 02:17 PM
I ride and train horses........my major WIP is about horses.......sort of.
I think we all tend to write about what we know best even in fantasy! My horses are empaths and inhabit a world that is about to undergo a major hiatus, but they're still just horses at heart.

Tburger
11-27-2008, 02:58 PM
Uh-oh. This is exactly the kind of thread that will keep me from working on my novel. I LOVE IT. Lets see. I have an old house, and I love working on it, which is good because it needs constant work. Last weekend I learned that the previous owners, in their haste to install an automatic lawn sprinkler system as cheaply as possible, made the basement flood.

How? you might ask. Well, the house was designed with a drain system around the foundation that empties out the side of a hill. When they put in the pipes for the sprinkler system they crushed the foundation drain pipes, instead of going under or over them. So for the past two years, my foundation drain pipes have been clogged with about two feet of dirt. Woot! I love ditch digging.

But I also woodwork, and just finished a huge set of built-in bookshelves in my living room with a tiny computer nook where I do my writing. The heater vent feeds right into the nook so when its freezing, it's AWESOME. I'll post a pic someday!

cethklein
11-27-2008, 06:28 PM
Wow you guys ran with this topic didn't you? I forgot I amde it.

As for me:

Playing music (drums, bass)

Sound engineering (my old job, didn't pay the rent but i still love it as a hobby)

Collecting old automotive literature.

Airsoft (mainly old gas guns).

I've recently been turned on to the wonderful world of Euro-boardgames. Most notably Catan, Carcassonne, and Alhambra.

Reading (mainly Dragonlance. Although I'm also a staunch fan of Shadowrun).

Designing games, both the video and board kind.)

Playing old computer games (really old DOS stiff. Kudos to the guy with the Commander Keen avatar.)

Collecting and restoring old swords. I have a particular fascination with Indo-Persian blades such as Tulwars, Katars, Shamshirs, and Khanjars. )

Prawn
11-27-2008, 06:34 PM
Martial arts: I am particularly proud of my fight scenes.

snook
11-27-2008, 06:35 PM
- Fish
- Hunt
- Drag race
- collect coins
- collect animation cels from cartoons and Jimmy Stewart memorabilia
- classic rock

And yes, these things tie into my writing.

Captain Ian
11-27-2008, 06:38 PM
Reading
Arsenal FC
Russian history
Snooker

redpbass
11-28-2008, 02:39 AM
Photography!

Research
History
Drawing
Listening to music
Driving
Videogames
watching/reading Anime/Manga
Worldbuilding
Watching movies
playing my beloved Fender P Bass

As for correlation to my writing...

Most of 'em have a huge part in my creativity, and I get ideas from all of them.

MoonWriter
11-28-2008, 03:35 AM
Hmm.. I'd go with drawing/painting, anything art-related really. That sometimes helps with inspiration, you know.

Hores riding, ice skating... those don't really refer much to my writing as such, really, but sports get my mind off things and clear my head.

Apart from that, there's the obvious; hanging out with friends, partying, going out.

That sounds both interesting and dangerous. I'm sure my wife would rather me stick to gardening, reading, skiing, walking (with and without the dogs), and home improvement projects.

scarletpeaches
11-28-2008, 03:37 AM
Reading
Arsenal FC
Russian history
Snooker

Playing or watching? I'm useless at the game myself but I've been an armchair fan for years; been to see it live on a number of occasions around the country.

DL Hegel
11-28-2008, 05:14 AM
I like painting sometimes-- I collect sci-fi and Halloween stuff.

Bayou Bill
11-28-2008, 05:43 AM
What are your hobbies outside of writing? (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3005414#post3005414)

Recreational sex...

...and some minor avocations.

Bayou Bill :cool: