What are your hobbies outside of writing?

cethklein

Registered
Reaction score
And do any of said hobbies somehow correlate to your writing?

Reaction score
Well, I really can't tell you my favouritest one, so we'll skip over that.

Reading.
Um...
Nope, you got me.

Writing and reading are my two favourite (mentionable) hobbies. Actually they're more than hobbies but you know what I mean.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Photography
Running
Hiking
Scrapbooking
Cooking/baking
SCUBA - though I'm not yet certified

Everything I do goes into my writing. Everything I do gives me another experience and more knowledge that I can use in my writing.

Those are my hobbies, things I do regularly, but there are so many other things I love to do when I get a chance and/or things I'd like to do one day.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Skiing (and teaching skiing to people with disabilities)--um, sometimes I write stories about skiers...
Cycling--loads and loads of time to ponder the plot while the road flies by under my wheels :)
Baking--er, I like to eat cookies while I'm editing to make the process more pleasant?
Sewing--uh, uh, uh, if I sew up something really warm I can snuggle up in it while I'm writing? I may be stretching a little bit.

The Lonely One

Why is a raven like a writing desk?
Registered
Reaction score
Love the avatar...

Um, guitar, audio engineering, singing (poorly). What else what else...
I think that about wraps it up for hobbies.

Inkyhoof

Registered
Reaction score
Hmm.. I'd go with drawing/painting, anything art-related really. That sometimes helps with inspiration, you know.

Hores riding, ice skating... those don't really refer much to my writing as such, really, but sports get my mind off things and clear my head.

Apart from that, there's the obvious; hanging out with friends, partying, going out.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, reading wins hands down right now. When the kids are older and I have more free-time, I think I'l take an art class. I like to sketch, and I'm not half bad, but I'd like to work on it some more.

I also like biking, and I'd love to learn how to make pottery as well.

Mad Queen

California Mountain Snake
Registered
Reaction score
Web design: it requires creativity, like writing, except I have no talent for web design, still I try.
Programming: writing programs is a lot like writing a novel, but there are some important differences (ie, more precision, more logic and math).
Cooking: if you're trying to create a dish that suits your tastes, you'll have to try and adjust your recipe many times. I wish I could eat my novel drafts too.

tehuti88

Mackinac Island Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.inkspot.com
And do any of said hobbies somehow correlate to your writing?

I like to take nature photos, especially of trees. This relates to my writing when I'm taking pictures of Mackinac Island, since I write a fantasy version of it. :D

I like to read and learn about the things I write about, so that relates to my writing.

I like to listen to music...which I often visualize as the soundtrack to my writing.

I like to walk sometimes...especially on Mackinac Island, which as I already said, relates to my writing.

I draw once in a great while...primarily scenes from my writing.

I'm sure I do other things but those are the main ones. As you can see, most relate to my writing.

Oh. Sometimes I do jigsaw puzzles, which do not relate to my writing...though I can think about my writing while doing them.

vixey

C'est la vie!
Registered
Reaction score
Tennis
Cooking
Piano (but I don't have one at the moment :( )
Knitting
Reading

And I do various types of volunteer work, but I don't consider that hobbies. Just something I do outside of writing.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
I have so much going on I often fear I do nothing particularly well.
For hobbies, apart from my kids and everything kid related, I like cooking and baking (belong to 3 cooking/gourmet groups), reading (and writing, of course), downhill skiing, hiking, drinking red wine and eating chocolate.

Nothing, aside from reading and writing, is really related to writing. I went sky diving once and haven't even managed to get that experience into a story yet.

BlueLucario

Blood Elves FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I enjoy reading and researching, and I also love online gaming. :)

ummm, don't want to come off as a party pooper, but I don't think this belongs in Novels, maybe somewhere else.

scheherazade

Human
Registered
Reaction score
Talking about writing
Reading books on writing
Complaining about how I don't write enough
Making plans to write more
Sharing writing with friends
Visiting AW
Researching ideas online
Watching movies and TV to inspire ideas
Reading books and magazines to inspire my craft
Going to the gym

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Crocheting multicolored Celtic knotwork afghans
Making people laugh
Playing with the dogs
Cuddling my cat
Reading novels
Hanging with friends (live or on-line chatting)

All of the above have nothing to do with my writing--which is how I want it.

Reading non-fiction (particularly history)
Analyzing novels
Discussing books, publishing and related topics

These can or could impact my writing, which is how I want it.

Akuma

Rare Writer Pokemon
Registered
Reaction score
Running (great for letting your mind wander, I've gotten over several blocks with this)
Reading
Listening to music (greatest human invention, next to writing of course)
Practicing kissing on a large stuffed Charmander

Er, scratch that last one.

RJK

Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:
Registered
Reaction score
When I was younger, it was woodworking. I have a complete woodshop in my garage. as the years went by, arthritis has made that hobby more difficult and less enjoyable, so now I read for enjoyment.

ishtar'sgate

living in the past
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linneaheinrichs.com
My next greatest passion is growing grapes. I love the challenge of our northern climate. This past spring I set aside a piece of land and started a vineyard. Only a few vines this year so I can do a bit of experimenting and learn what will and won't work up here. I feel very fortunate because writing and growing plants is a perfect fit. I like to let my writing 'rest' for a few months before starting revisions anyway and I can throw myself wholeheartedly into gardening without giving a second thought to my novel. Around August/September I begin to get restless, just about the time I'm ready to harvest my vegetable garden and my grapes. Once the harvest is complete, the beds are cleared out and my compost piles are turned and 'cooking', it's time to give all my attention to writing.

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
Reading.
Working on computers-- I actually enjoy trouble-shooting computer problems. Especially MS.Office. But I don't get much to trouble-shoot at home since I beat my computer into submission.
Pokemon TCG (with Hubby)

Sadly, I don't really have much time for hobbies, when I think about it. Most of the time I'm not working one of my jobs, or doing Grad School homework, I'm writing. Or reading.

And I bake, but I wouldn't call that my hobby. It's necessity since life thought it would be funny to make the Queen of Convenience food allergic to two of the most common ingredients: Gluten (wheat) and Corn (including corn syrup!). Ha ha, Life...

Does AW count as a hobby? ... fine, I'm going back to work. =P

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
Cooking. First thing I started writing for publication was a cookbook. I was 12.

Crafty stuff. I'm making my own Christmas cards for the 5th year in a row...ribbons, decaupage, that kind of stuff. I'm making spa boxes for gifts; bath salts, etc, with herbs from my garden. I'll be trying soap this summer.

They don't really figure into my writing.

And research? More of an addiction than a hobby, but defiinitely useful, if I can keep it in check.

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Well, I really can't tell you my favouritest one, so we'll skip over that.

Reading.
Um...
Nope, you got me.

Writing and reading are my two favourite (mentionable) hobbies. Actually they're more than hobbies but you know what I mean.

Ditto.

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
I'm restoring a 1967 Mercury convertible when I'm not writing. That's actually a more current hobby.

I have a player piano I've about 75% restored. That's kind of a hobby, but it's on hold.

I appreciate old music and collect 78 RPM records. Specific ones, not just any.

I restore antique radios from the 1930s and '40s and sell them on eBay, that is, when I find one restorable.

RainyDayNinja

Registered
Reaction score
I like to play trading card games, and my urban fantasy MC gets arrested when his cards are mistaken for occult talismans. Which is about how my parents felt when they found out I had been playing Magic: the Gathering at school...