Riting Kat gets me!

Kalyke

Registered
Reaction score
Everything that could have gone wrong with this project went wrong yesterday when I was trying to finish my last 5000 words. I left the room and came back and the cat was sleeping on my comupter. The cat somehow disabled Firefox. Luckily, I had a different browser on the desktop that I had downloaded but had not used because I didn't particularly like it. I had transfered the majority of my bookmarks-- this is important to me because it is research for my long book. The bookmarks were imported at least 5 months ago and dont include recent bookmarks like NaNoWriMo!!! Or Absolute Write. My passwords are all gone! I have them written down in a little book, but I have been moving, and dont remember where that book went (I'm moving about an hour's drive away).

So yesterday I was thinking that I would have to start as a noob both here and at Wrimo.

So I was really frustrated with the computer yesterday all because of that cat. I need a heavy duity cat-proof computer.

Is anyone having any last minute frustrations? I know there are probably a lot who are now starting their thanksgiving preparations.

Now, my message boards don't have spell check neither! So Ima goin ta look like I ain't got no edikashun two.

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
As long as you didn't lose your novel, everything else can be fixed.

Take a deep breath, and say after me, "I will go to jail if I kill the cat, and then I'll never get my novel done!"

Then sit down, and write the last 4k you have to do. That way, when you finally are able to log on to the NaNo site, the first think you'll be able to do is verify your word count and upload the winner widget, and voila! You'll feel better about the whole thing.

:Hug2:

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
If you have a desktop computer, maybe it's time to stand the keyboard on end against the monitor or wall or something (so cat can't continue it's death wish.)

If it's a laptop, I think you best close the lid. Even if it's not all the way closed, it might be enough to keep fuzzball off it.

Time to circumvent the ill-intentioned cat. =)

seaaircarol

Frustrated Pluviophile
Registered
Reaction score
What is it about cats and computers? There's a thread over at nano devoted to cat lovers, and almost to a person, their cats sit on their keyboards.

I think the cats get mad that we're giving attention to something other than them. Which isn't to say that they want our attention, just that our attention should never be elsewhere.

P.S. Sorry about the computer problems, Use Her Name.

Lady Cat

Registered
Reaction score
Website
randomwriterlythoughts.blogspot.com
I hear this a lot - people who have cats that like to sit/lay/walk on their computer keyboards - and I don't understand it.

Maybe what you folks need are more cats?

I have five cats and they leave both my desktop and my lap top alone. The only trouble I've ever had is the minor annoyance when I'm using my lap top at my desk - sometimes my female cat will walk on the space between my lap top and the edge of the desk, but I've never had a problem with any of them walking on the keyboards.

Now the printers on the other hand, that's a whole other story. :D

Fresie

She Who Runs The Waves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
galaktio-nova.blogspot.com
I hear this a lot - people who have cats that like to sit/lay/walk on their computer keyboards - and I don't understand it.

Now this is really funny because I remember reading a lot of writers' memoirs from pre-computer and even pre-typewriter days (you can't be comfortable lying on top of a typewriter), and they all said their cats liked to sit on their desks and either play with the pen/pencil as they wrote or lie on top of their pages as they were writing them!

Me thinks kats just like literature.

How about a Katz NaNo next year? They probably want to write just as much as we do.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
funny-pictures-cat-writes-a-tell-all-book-about-you.jpg

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Scooter the wonder-dog likes to come see what I'm writing. But he insists on being petted while he reads. So I'm stuck with only one hand half the time, which slows down my typing speed by, well, I guess at least 50%.