Status
Not open for further replies.

DennyCrane

Dude. Seriously.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.inkrock.com
Seriously? Haughton Mifflin Harcourt asked its editors to stop buying books. Seriously?

Does anyone else feel just the slightest bit worried? Anyone with submissions out there or about to go out?

If you got stuff out there, what is your agent saying? Is there room for the debut?

Should we just ignore it? Am I overreacting? Will Ross end up with Rachel? Who first put peanut butter in their chocolate? Or was it their chocolate in their peanut butter?

I think I'm losing the plot here.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
For anyone who hasn't seen the article, it's here: http://www.publishersweekly.com/article/CA6617241.html

Josef Blumenfeld, v-p of communications for HMH, confirmed that the publisher has “temporarily stopped acquiring manuscripts” across its trade and reference divisions.

Trade and reference divisions have been asked to temporarily stop buying. It's not every single division of HMH. I don't think there's any reason to panic.

TychoBrahe

Wannabe Mad Scientist
Registered
Reaction score
I just posted a question about this on another thread; I guess I should have looked here first.

I'm a total frickin' unpublished unknown, and I've got a pretty good notion that that's usually an uphill battle in the best of times, but my last two rejections were returned to me so quickly it made my head spin.

In this economic climate, should all us newbies just be sitting on our manuscripts and practicing our short fiction until better days come around again?

lkp

Registered
Reaction score
I had a good chat with my agent last week about my WIP. Her last words were "Take your time. Nothing's selling." FWIW

Now something is always selling. Will it be your thing? Look at what kinds of things are selling. Does yours fit?

She said everyone is hoping for a big book-buying move this Xmas that will get publisher's feeling confident again and ready to buy in January. What do you think the chances are that the publishers will have a big Xmas of sales this year?

roncouch

The Couchmeister
Registered
Reaction score
December, I've been told, is a big month for book sales. I hope so, because most everthing else is stagnant.

popmuze

Last of a Dying Breed
Registered
Reaction score
Now something is always selling. Will it be your thing? Look at what kinds of things are selling. Does yours fit?

See, this is exactly what worries me. In this climate, the only things that will get published will be (usually lame) carbon copies of what's already hot. The editor/publishing company willing to take a risk on something slightly outside the box (not a big group to begin with) will vanish.

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
It will be very interesting to watch what happens next. Remember, the Great Depression was also the heyday for the movie industry. People needed to escape the harsh reality, and movies were there to entertain. So I wonder if we'll see some similar trends. Netflix will do well, maybe, because people can stay home and save money. Paperbacks will do well, and kids' books, but hardbacks and coffee table books will suffer. Escapist fiction will boom, but serious literature will struggle. New voices from People of Color will enjoy an Obama bump, and so on.

A lot will depend on how much this crisis stops being Wall Street's problem and becomes everybody's problem. I never had any money to invest, and my mortgage is a 30-year-fixed, so unless I lose my job (which isn't likely, as a tenured teacher) the desperate sales everywhere are good news to me. I'm planning on buying lots of books this Xmas, to do my part!

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I did a bit of research on all this doom n' gloom. And the publishing world is struggling, yes, BUT, I saw in just a little over a month, 31 of pub buys were from debut authors, and that's not counting what's not being reported--showing up on Publishers Marketplace, sooo...

With all this in mind, I'll leave you with some sig avis you can feel free to lift. Auntybug and I brainstormed and what with her awesome techni savvy she made these!

buyabook1-1.jpg
vvbuyabook2-2sig.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.