Not open for further replies.

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
Ack.

Realistically, though, you'd pretty much have to recognize that the current economic crisis would have to impact the major houses. What's really scary to contemplate is the fate of the smaller houses if this keeps up. I have a feeling that HM may have been a bit premature in this, and can only hope it doesn't set off some sort of wacked out domino effect.

Blueridge

Registered
Reaction score
I think this is really, really bad news for those of us seeking agent representation right now. Agents know that publishers will be very wary about taking on an unknown author.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
I think this is really, really bad news for those of us seeking agent representation right now. Agents know that publishers will be very wary about taking on an unknown author.

Nah, the people who really need to worry are the people with one or two books published to non-spectacular sales.

New writers always have the potential to be the Next Big Thing.

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
The only possible answer... is to buy more books!!! Support our plight in these troubled economic times.
Buy more everything. The only way to stave off economic slow down is to move the money around.

The article says they've stopped aquiring in "trade and reference divisions"...that doesn't include fiction does it?

*clueless*

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
I work in the Publishing business (temporarily - I'm retiring soon) for an educational publishing house. Our sales in the past couple months have been very strong, but there are definite indications that consumers want the nitty gritty - solid educational books rather than fluff - the best bang for the buck, so to speak.

For us, trade refers to all the mass market, clubs, bookstores, etc. while educational refers obviously to the schools. So the notice that HM has cut off acquisitions in trade might affect fiction, at least from the perspective I have. Puma

WendyNYC

fiddle-dee-dee
Registered
Reaction score
I'm certainly no expert on the subject, but if Houghton Mifflin bought Harcourt in July 07, that would have been at the very top of the market. Maybe this has more to do with their own financial woes instead of being indicative of something larger.

No?

Alphabeter

Player of the Letters
Registered
Reaction score
Bad economy officially hits publishing--Book Publisher Suspends New Acquisitions

Boy how I wish this were PublishAmerica! Alas, the publisher is Harcourt

Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, the publisher of authors including Philip Roth, Jonathan Safran Foer, Günter Grass and J. R. R. Tolkien, has temporarily suspended acquisitions of new manuscripts, a company spokesman said Monday.
He said he could not be specific about what criteria would govern decisions about what manuscripts to buy, but said that editors would have to prove to an acquisitions committee that the book showed concrete evidence of “market interest.”

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
One thing to realize with HMH is that it is highly leveraged -- borrowed a boatload of money. Businesses in this type of position are very subject to downturns in their business, as they tend to have high fixed costs.

Some book publishers are highly leveraged, but others are more conservatively funded.

Although we're probably going to see a reduced number of books accepted, what we're going to see even more of is significantly smaller advances. HMH is sacrificing its long-term business to deal with a short-term problem. Although it may have quite a few books in the process of being published, if it continues this policy for long, it's going to create a gap, as well as seeing a significant drop in its employees.

As well as the writers with HMH, it's the employees of HMH who are in trouble. If I worked there, I'd be polishing my resume like crazy. I won't be surprised if in a month or so, you see HMH doing a major lay-off.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

Hillgate

On location
Registered
Reaction score
...but then their name does sound suspiciously like Dunder Mifflin...;)

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
...but then their name does sound suspiciously like Dunder Mifflin...;)

Heh, I could get Dwight to buy my MSS.

But seriously, folks. Hasn't it always been the idea for publishers to buy scripts with "market interest?"

Hillgate

On location
Registered
Reaction score
Heh, I could get Dwight to buy my MSS.

But seriously, folks. Hasn't it always been the idea for publishers to buy scripts with "market interest?"

Yes! I think they're just prepping literary agents to expect lower advances for their clients and to make us poor sods even more grateful when/if we get the next deal.

I'd buy a book by Dwight. It'd be virtually unreadable, but it'd probably make the bestseller list.

scheherazade

Human
Registered
Reaction score
Actually.. I imagine a book by Dwight would be a funnier version of John Hodgman's "The Areas of My Expertise." I expect a whole chapter on beet farming, and another one profiling all the evil people named Andrew.

Seriously... a Dunder-Mifflin book must already be in the works, no? Something along the lines of the Daily Show's textbook or Six Feet Under's family scrapbook?

popmuze

Last of a Dying Breed
Registered
Reaction score
Nah, the people who really need to worry are the people with one or two books published to non-spectacular sales.

Thanks a lot, said the writer with 13 books published (three by Houghton Mifflin), all of them to non-spectacular sales.

Last edited:

WendyNYC

fiddle-dee-dee
Registered
Reaction score
I read on Publisher's Lunch that HMH would consider selling its trade division. The private equity company that own HMH also said "...we will continue to evaluate opportunities if and when we decide to lift the freeze."

If?

ETA: Guess I should provide a link.

Last edited:

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I read on Publisher's Lunch that HMH would consider selling its trade division. The private equity company that own HMH also said "...we will continue to evaluate opportunities if and when we decide to lift the freeze."

If?

"If and when" is a jargon phrase common to business-speak. It says more about the mentality of the suits who run the place, most of whom don't give a rat's about books, except for the ones that contain their profit-and-loss statements.

caw

Status
Not open for further replies.