PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Thanksgiving Dish

jennifer75
11-24-2008, 11:59 PM
What's the one dish you look forward to all year, JUST ONE.

For me, its stuffing. Any kind, boxed, or home made....can't get enough of it. Moist or dry. God I love it.

How bout you?

DeleyanLee
11-25-2008, 12:04 AM
Pumpkin bread

vixey
11-25-2008, 12:09 AM
I honestly can't say I look forward to a specific Thanksgiving dish all year long. But, since stuffing is somethig we only make at Thanksgiving and Christmas at my MIL's, I'd have to go with that.

The other thing she makes for Thanksgiving that I really like are creamed pearl onions. When my BIL is there (and he will be this year) he adds parmesan to them. Yum.

jennifer75
11-25-2008, 12:18 AM
Those sound deeeeeelish! I can't wait for seconds and thirds on the Stuffing! And the pie!!!!!!!! It really is all about the pecan pie the next morning, with cream and coffee.

Shadow_Ferret
11-25-2008, 12:20 AM
Stuffing.

Not dressing.

Stuffing. It has to have been IN the bird. Has to be moist and fatty delicious.

I'd be content to just pile that on my plate and nothing else.

smoothseas
11-25-2008, 12:20 AM
Pecan Pie!

SarahDavidson
11-25-2008, 12:23 AM
I don't know if I can pick just one...

I usually like to snag the skin off the turkey. Barbaric, but oh-so-good. But that's just *part* of a dish...

As far as a single "dish" that I like the best... I'd have to say the seven-layer salad. It's so simple, but so good. Lettuce, celery, water chestnuts, green onions, hard-boiled egg, bacon bits, peas, and a garlic-onion-mayo-sour cream concoction of dressing. The M-I-L is an awesome cook, so we usually do thanksgiving at their house. YUM.

Also, one cannot discount the usefulness and deliciousness of "leftover sandwiches." But again, technically, that isn't a Thanksgiving dish. That's a day-after-Thanksgiving gorgefest. Pile the leftover turkey, stuffing, gravy, and--if you're adventurous--some of the contrasting vegetable sides, onto a day-old Thanksgiving roll. Heat, eat, and be full. Or just nosh it down cold.

Bubastes
11-25-2008, 12:25 AM
Stuffing.

Pumpkin pie.

Sweet potato casserole with apples and pecans (and NO marshmallows).

Cranberry-orange relish.

Oh wait, we can only pick one? Crud. Um, it has to be the stuffing.

TerzaRima
11-25-2008, 12:39 AM
My homemade cranberry sauce. Fresh cranberries, a few Craisins, a splash of fresh orange juice, a few drops of red wine, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg...you can keep your Ocean Spray. Mine is really good.

Cranky
11-25-2008, 12:45 AM
Sweet potatoes with butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, and walnuts. Yum. A close second is stuffing.

katiemac
11-25-2008, 01:35 AM
Pumpkin cheesecake.

jennifer75
11-25-2008, 02:27 AM
Also, one cannot discount the usefulness and deliciousness of "leftover sandwiches." But again, technically, that isn't a Thanksgiving dish. That's a day-after-Thanksgiving gorgefest. Pile the leftover turkey, stuffing, gravy, and--if you're adventurous--some of the contrasting vegetable sides, onto a day-old Thanksgiving roll. Heat, eat, and be full. Or just nosh it down cold.

Oh man, left over turkey sandwiches on white bread with a tad bit of salt and lots of may and cranberry jelly....omg. Better than sex. And I wont be able to bite into one cause of these gawdarnfriggin braces I had clamped onto my teeth! yea, Jennifer, good idea!

Disa
11-25-2008, 02:32 AM
dressing.

StephanieFox
11-25-2008, 02:35 AM
gravy

Gravy on some sort of gravy delivery system (stuffing, bread, dressing, rice, noodles).

HeronW
11-25-2008, 03:06 AM
Stuffing with sausage and pecans with gravy over it--then again hot mincemeat pie under vanilla icecream ain't bad either :}~~~~~

MattW
11-25-2008, 03:21 AM
Buttery mashed potatoes.

Pumpkin pies - plural!

Leftover sammiches is something I'll miss this year, since we're going to Mexico on Friday. :(

jennifer75
11-25-2008, 09:08 PM
Pecan Pie!

Pee-kahn Pie!

ABekah
11-26-2008, 12:09 AM
gravy

Gravy on some sort of gravy delivery system (stuffing, bread, dressing, rice, noodles).

A spoon works real well, too. :D

My favorite Thanksgiving food is pumpkin pie or pumpkin cheesecake.

Prevostprincess
11-26-2008, 01:28 AM
Chocolate pecan pie, but I don't always get it, as every Thanksgiving I make my true favorite for the holiday - reservations!

WackAMole
11-26-2008, 01:29 AM
Sweet Potato FTW

reenkam
11-26-2008, 11:16 AM
Stuffing. Definitely stuffing.

shawkins
11-26-2008, 07:07 PM
Homemade cherry pie with a scoop of Breyer's.

Williebee
11-26-2008, 07:24 PM
Leftover turkey sandwiches.

Even more so than the dinner itself.

MsK
11-26-2008, 07:27 PM
Leftover turkey sandwiches.

Even more so than the dinner itself.

Me too. A leftover turkey, stuffing, cranberry sandwich is the best.

Plot Device
11-27-2008, 06:47 AM
Green bean casserole.

C.bronco
11-27-2008, 07:00 AM
Green bean casserole.
I just made that! :)
I love all of the dishes: turkey!!!! cranberry sauce, gravy, mashed potatos, creamed onions, butternut squash, sweet potatos, cranberry bread, stuffing, mashed potatos....
CARB FEST!

C.bronco
11-27-2008, 07:03 AM
I don't know if I can pick just one...

I usually like to snag the skin off the turkey. Barbaric, but oh-so-good. But that's just *part* of a dish...

As far as a single "dish" that I like the best... I'd have to say the seven-layer salad. It's so simple, but so good. Lettuce, celery, water chestnuts, green onions, hard-boiled egg, bacon bits, peas, and a garlic-onion-mayo-sour cream concoction of dressing. The M-I-L is an awesome cook, so we usually do thanksgiving at their house. YUM.

I like the leftovers so much, that if I don't serve Thanksgiving dinner, I make the whole thing again before Christmas. :)

The best leftover sandwich: Bread, stuffing, turkey, cranberry sauce, bread.

Elaine Margarett
11-27-2008, 05:14 PM
Those are my favs. Oyster Dressing is a Chesapeake bay tradition. Sweet, moist and savory (never, ever fishy!).

I also have a great recipe for pecan pie that uses Ritz crackers for a crust. I know it sounds strange but whenever I bring it somewhere I get numerous requests for the recipe.

We're going to an aunt's house for Thanksgiving. By request I'm bring the dressing, pie and brocolli casserole. For my kids it wouldn't be Thanksgiving without them.

Hope everyone has an enjoyable day~

JLCwrites
11-27-2008, 09:13 PM
The sammiches on the following day. Turkey, Cranberry gel, stuffing, and gravy all stuffed in a dinner roll. YUM!