Novellas Info

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lupis

Hello all,

I'm relatively new to this site and would like to venture a question to anyone who could provide me with an answer.

I find myself struggling with word lengths when ever I start short stories. My shortest usually (painfully) ends around 7,000 words and usually they wrap up around the 10,000 mark.

I started a short story by it really has evolved into what I think is more of a Novella. It stands at about 35,000 words and looks to be finishing near 45,000 words. I'm sure this makes it a novella and I would just like some insight into what the usual range for a novella is.

I'm a full-time student/athlete and make whatever time I can find to write. I'm new to the entire field in general having only seriously persued this 'hobby' of mine in the last year and a half. Please, I know these questions may seem infantile, but bear with me.

Thank you very much for any help and I can't say how pleased I am to find a place like this where I can get some direct answers from other people who love to tap at keyboards for hours on end.

Thanks alot!
Lupis

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Length

Lengths for novellas in regular fiction are from 15,000-30,000 words. For science fiction and fantasy, 17,500-40,000 words is considered a novella.

What you're writing is really more of a short novel than a novella. At the very least, it's at the long end of teh novella scale.

Status
Not open for further replies.