• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

In need of some brief mentorship

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mihoshi

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,
I've been writting this and that pieces for several years (mostly some my-two-cents internet articles), I've also been published several times in anthologies, but nothing really note worthy.

I'm working on a factual book now (on a breed of cat) and am nearly finished with the first draft. I'm wordering if I should copyright the book in my name before seriously attempting to send it around to agents or publishers. I'm also wondering if there are any agents who deal especially with animal related books. If anyone has any advise or if there is any person who'd like to hold my hand threw the experience I'd aprechiate it.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
As far as copyright goes, it's pretty much agreed that you don't need to officially copyright your work. Agents and editors aren't going to steal it -- it's much more worth their time to work with you and buy the ms. Also, copyright rules work so that anything you write is copyright anyway.

It's been noted in the past on this thread (try searching for copyright threads, or scan the Uncle Jim diluted sticky in the Novels forum) that sending an editor a manuscript that says "copyrighted" screams unawareness about the publishing field.

Good luck!

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Here's a good post by Uncle Jim which states what I said above more clearly and credibly.

Scan until you reach James D. MacDonald's post called Plagarism.

As for agents dealing with animal books, you might find help on the Writing About Animals forum.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.