PDA

View Full Version : Problem with a book club

Susan Breen
11-24-2008, 04:27 AM
I'm having an issue I could use some help with. I'm supposed to visit a book club tomorrow and chat about my book. I've been dealing with one particular member of this book club and last Wednesday she sent me an e mail saying that the time of the meeting had been changed, so she was going to "give it a pass." I e mailed back asking if that meant she wasn't going and I shouldn't go. No response. I left a message on her cell phone. I sent two more e mails. The book club is two hours away, so I don't want to drive there and find no one there, but neither do I want to offend a bunch of people who've bought my book. So what should I do?

dawinsor
11-24-2008, 04:35 AM
Holy cow. I can think of no good answer. So there's no other way to get in touch? Where are they meeting? Can you contact someone that way?

I guess if this were me, I'd feel like I'd made a commitment and I'd go. I'd get an audio book to listen to on that long drive and go.

WendyNYC
11-24-2008, 04:39 AM
It sounds to me like the meeting is still going on, it's just that she won't be there. I'd assume everyone else still wants you to come.

But I could be wrong.

MsK
11-24-2008, 05:08 AM
It's a tough call. If I were in your shoes, unless I got definite confirmation that it really was cancelled, I'd still go.
And if the meeting is cancelled, I'd reward myself with something really special from the area where the meeting was to make the drive worthwhile.
Good Luck. Hope it works out for you.

Claudia Gray
11-24-2008, 05:18 AM
I'm with the others: better safe than sorry. And I like MsK's suggestion of finding something in the area where you can stop by to treat yourself if the drive turns out to be for nothing.

Susan Breen
11-24-2008, 07:00 AM
Thanks for the advice. Sounds like I should go.

Susan Breen
11-25-2008, 03:19 AM
Thank you so much to those who encouraged me to go. The book club was terrific and supportive and all good things and made new friends and because of that was invited to a book club three hours away! It would have been so sad if I hadn't gone and I was so tempted to cancel because it seemed like a lot of work. So thanks for pushing me out the door.

MsK
11-25-2008, 03:26 AM
So glad it worked out- and that you got invited to another one. Congrats. and continued success with your book. :Sun:

Robin Bayne
11-25-2008, 10:35 PM
Glad it worked out!!