Episcopalian funerals?

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
Can anyone give me a quick run-down of what happens in them? Are there eulogies? Open casket or closed?

Is there any room for movement in there? By which I mean, is it typically closed-casket, but it could be open, etc.?

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Highly flexible, in my experience. Open casket is less common but I believe it's still allowed. I've not seen an open-casket funeral at an Episcopal church but I'm guessing that people would not approach it during or just before the service; that would be done at the funeral home.

There's a specific rite, fairly short, in the Book of Common Prayer, led by a minister or reverend, depending on whether it's high Episcopal or low. It has a place for eulogies by family or friends. Often they are short and few in number. There's also a eulogy by the officiant (even if he did not know the deceased). The whole ritual is somber and somewhat formal, with little 'audience' participation beyond singing a few hymns and the occasional "amen."

There's a separate ritual for the burial, and not everyone who attends the funeral goes to the burial, too. That's more often just family and close friends.

If you need it, I may have a Book of Common Prayer in the house; my mom was Episcopalian until her death.

That said, you could totally make the day (week?) of a minister or reverend by arranging an interview, explaining that you're a writer eager to get it right. Their tasks tend to be the same old stuff, and this would be far more interesting, something they might even brag about a little.

Maryn, lapsed

JoniBGoode

Registered
Reaction score
I'm Episcopalian, so this is just one bird's (worm's?) eye view.

At least in the upper midwest, in the 21st century, memorial services (where the casket/body is not present) are much more common than actual funerals. Then the burial is a private, family affair (or the body is cremated.) Viewing, if offered, is usually at the funeral home. Open-casket funerals are not common (although this may be different in the south.)

Get your hands on a Book of Common Prayer. It has the funeral service in it, and it doesn't vary much. The service is fairly short, because often communion is also celebrated at a funeral.

Episcopalians often refer to themselves as "God's frozen choosen" (as do several other denominations) so there would probably not be any widow or mother throwing herself at the coffin, screaming and wailing. People pride themselves on their self-control, and crying at a funeral, even by the widow, is seen as "breaking down."

Emotional eulogies are usually not included. The only speaker may well be the priest, especially if he knew the deceased well. (Episcopalians call their ministers priests. They may be addressed as Rev. Sue, especially if they are female, but they are not called ministers or reverands by church members. Male priests -- who are usually married -- are almost univerally called "father" as in "Father David.")There would probably be lots and lots of flowers -- the acceptable way to show emotion. Amazing Grace is a very common funeral hymn. Yes, the congregation sings together, as at any other church service.

Everyone would likely be invited to the deceased's home afterwards, where light refreshments (finger sandwiches), tea and highballs (scotch, bourbon -- not margaritas) would be served. Sympathy & quiet stories of the deceased, some mildly humorous, would be shared. There would be no full funeral luncheon or wake.

Obviously, these are all stereotypes and your novel may well contain the exception.

If you have specific questions, feel free to PM me.

Last edited:

vixey

C'est la vie!
Registered
Reaction score
Just adding...I've been to several Episcopalean funerals in recent years. There were personal eulogies in them. In one there was a quartet and a choir that sang. The congregation sang a few songs during the service (like in a regular church service) and all of them closed with Onward Christian Soldiers and the family walking out of the church during that song.

JoniBGoode

Registered
Reaction score
Just adding...I've been to several Episcopalean funerals in recent years. There were personal eulogies in them. In one there was a quartet and a choir that sang. The congregation sang a few songs during the service (like in a regular church service) and all of them closed with Onward Christian Soldiers and the family walking out of the church during that song.

Interesting. I've heard that song at funerals, but it is far from universal. The family gets to choose the music at funerals. They also get to choose readings, within limits. Suggestions for both are included in the service, in the Book of Common Prayer. Any Episcopal church would almost certainly lend you one, and perhaps give you one. Hymns are from the separate hymnal.

Episcopalians almost never make up prayers. They pray in words from the prayerbook. Even when I'm praying I don't get a speeding ticket from the cop behind me, in my head I'm saying, "Almighty God, to whom all hearts are open, all desires known and from whom no secrets are hid..." (Note: this is the version from the pre-1976 prayerbook.)

Last edited:

StephanieFox

Maybull the Bulldog
Registered
Reaction score
Don't forget about the drums, the bonfire and the wild dancing around it. Whether the celebrants (most of the congregation) dance naked depends on the season.

Mike Martyn

Registered
Reaction score
Don't forget about the drums, the bonfire and the wild dancing around it. Whether the celebrants (most of the congregation) dance naked depends on the season.

That would be Low Church, not us High Church Anglicans!