• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

need a reader for YA magical realism - 50k

Status
Not open for further replies.

jscribbles

Who killed my sea monkeys?
Registered
Reaction score
DRAWN TO YOU - magical realism/urban fantasy YA - just over 50k

Here's the premise: Chloe Williams discovers she is able to manipulate the future through her drawings. Should she use her power to get revenge on the popular girl at school (who has been especially mean to her this year) or should she only use her power for good?

Warning: This is edgy YA, including swearing, a (non-explicit) rape scene, bulimia, and drinking/drugs. I'd like a reader that is 16 years or older.

Here is what I'm looking for in a response:

1. Let me know where you're hooked. Let me know where the pace lags.

2. Let me know when something rings untrue.

3. Let me know which characters you like/hate.

4. Suggestions for improvements, sandwiched between things you liked (I can take criticism, but it's nice if it's not in the form of "this totally sucked!")

5. I do NOT need you to comb the writing for grammatical errors. If you find one that really bugs you, let me know, but that's not my focus at this point in time.

In essence, I do not want a line-by-line critique. I would just love someone to read what I've written and send me a paragraph after each chapter summarizing what you liked/didn't like and suggestions to make the book better.

I am totally willing to read something of equal length that you've written and give a similar critique. I don't have the time to do a line-by-line (and I'm not expecting you to), but I will give comments about what I liked/didn't like/was confused about.

If interested, please e-mail me at [email protected].

Thanks for thinking about reading my piece!

Last edited:

jscribbles

Who killed my sea monkeys?
Registered
Reaction score
Crap. Just saw the Beta Project thread. I might do that.

If anyone still wants to read this, let me know. If not, I'll submit my work to the Beta Project.

Status
Not open for further replies.