If you were a medieval terrorist

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
So I've reached the funnest part of a fun story: the scene where my main character, a microbiologist in a medieval land, finds herself in a huge, walled and strongly guarded enemy city. She can walk through the city relatively unnoticed, and she has a little money, but her only weapon is a flask full of a bacterial culture which causes pneumonic plague. She is immune to this.

The question is, how best to disseminate this, given that the disease is spread by inhaled aerosol droplets? I thought of having my character dip the edges of a fan into the culture and fan herself while in a crowd, but this seems... small and not terribly effective (or dramatic). Time is of the essence here; she needs to make thousands of people sick as quickly as possible. Any ideas?

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
Just make sure the wind is blowing the right way, into the city and not out to sea. Not that I would endorse such an evil plan.

Sarpedon

Banned
Reaction score
Go to church, get up in the choir loft or triforium, take a bellows, and let her rip! Preferably during a hymn where everyone's doing a lot of breathing.

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
Like a windmill? Would there be any inside a city?
I'm not an expert on windmills, but I would imagine that they are located outside a city somewhere in the middle of the countryside where they can get the most wind. Inside a city wouldn't be the best place to put them. I think SP meant the top of a high building overlooking the city.

Reaction score
I'm not an expert on windmills, but I would imagine that they are located outside a city somewhere in the middle of the countryside where they can get the most wind. Inside a city wouldn't be the best place to put them. I think SP meant the top of a high building overlooking the city.

Yep, she did. :D

Shame it's not something you could put in the water supply.

Not that I would endorse such an evil plan, either.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marianperera.com
Shame it's not something you could put in the water supply.

I could do this. It's a fantasy, I can postulate a special strain of the bacterium that spreads either through air or water.

But the air just seems more dramatic to me, somehow. And I'd like the story to be as accurate as possible from a scientific angle.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marianperera.com
Medieval cities frequently had windmills. They often sat on top of the city walls.

Really? That would work superbly.

I could do the church thing too - in fact, that would be a nice contrast, all the songs of peace and love below and the disease drifting down from on high - but the windmill would rock.

Reaction score
That means my genius idea flies (as do your germs). Therefore, I deserve a free copy when it's published.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think a personal touch is good here. Put some liquid suspension on a paper fan then cough (over the fan) into the faces of every child, elderly person, or the already infirm.

Or she can invent the spray bottle and pretend it's perfume. Then she can invent the annoying store worker who applies perfume to everyone :)

Actually, I think bacteria that spread by aerosol are still infective if a large drop gets up the nose. Aerosol ain't that reliable (on a whole it works wonders) so maybe a drop down/up a few people's noses would be easier and similarly effective...

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marianperera.com
I think a personal touch is good here. Put some liquid suspension on a paper fan then cough (over the fan) into the faces of every child, elderly person, or the already infirm.

I'll still do the fan thing, and she'll also buy fruit from a stall after slipping her fingers into the flask and running them over all the fruit within sight. Oh, and the coins she gives the stallkeeper will have been dipped in the culture, so that when he bites them...

This character is scaring me.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Regardless of how it spreads, you'll have an initial incubation period (1-5 days roughly, depending on how super your bug is), and then a second period (more varied. Same incubation time, but the initial contact varies) as the initially sick get everyone else sick. No primitive terrorist system, with a small amount of bacteria and one person, can hope to get a whole town sick in the first pass. Sorry. Over a few days/weeks. Yeah, it could get ugly.

Also, your bug might be carried or infective to animals. That would be fun :)

Sarpedon

Banned
Reaction score
Sure, its easier to store food in grain form than flour form, as its more resistant to spoilage. So you need to have a means of grinding it inside the city itself, as it makes no sense to bring the grain into the city to store it, then haul it out of the city to grind it, and then haul it back into the city to eat it.

Examples of windmills outside the city are more likely to be preserved, however, because most medieval walled cities have outgrown and torn down their walls, and adopted more modern methods of grinding their grain. However, I did see such a town and mill while I was in France.

However, I think spreading the disease in a confined space would be better, as there's more chance for any particular spore to be inhaled. Also, the inside of the church might also be moist, increasing the viability of the droplets. I assume the bacteria dies if it dries out?

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
However, I think spreading the disease in a confined space would be better, as there's more chance for any particular spore to be inhaled. Also, the inside of the church might also be moist, increasing the viability of the droplets. I assume the bacteria dies if it dries out?

Well then the fan would be great. Your girl just has to find a nice big party and flutter her fan while flirting outrageously with every man in the room.

It would at least make the spreading it more fun. Make sure the real toady men get an extra dose :D

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Your character is a real piece of work.

Maybe she could drink the stuff (since she's immune) and just walk around the city all morning breaking gas?

-Derek

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marianperera.com
Your character is a real piece of work.

You don't know the half of it. She got to the capital city by allowing two traveling merchants to capture her, then contaminated their food with Shigella and secretly jabbed their guard with a needle dipped in a rabid dog's saliva.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
You don't know the half of it. She got to the capital city by allowing two traveling merchants to capture her, then contaminated their food with Shigella and secretly jabbed their guard with a needle dipped in a rabid dog's saliva.

She's evil. I like her already:)

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I vote for polluting the water supply or the church thing. Seems the most logical to me.