Twin Peaks

Ageless Stranger

Dave Brubeck kicks your ass.
Registered
Reaction score
I need to get into something new. I've already watched the entire Sharpe series, all of the X-Files (which has unfortunately made me incredibly paranoid) and the entire series of Doctor Who. I found out about this in my media class and it sounds absolutely fascinating. Watched a few short clips and read up a little, and I'm even more drawn in. I'm considering buying the boxed set and I feel I should get some more opinions before I throw my money away. Has anyone here seen this? And what do you think of it?

Bill Ward

billwardwriter.com
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.billwardwriter.com
It's great stuff, especially if you like David Lynch's films (of course). Get the set, watch it all, and decide which season you like more -- it's not as if the second is actually bad, just not up to one's standards (in my opinion). It is weirder though!

But there hasn't ever really been anything else quite like it, great quirky surreal fun.

Enzo

Registered
Reaction score
I thought the first season was fabulous, but I started losing interest later on.

It's a classic, a far precursor to LOST. I'll never forget the theme music and Kyle McLachlan's cherry pies.

Ageless Stranger

Dave Brubeck kicks your ass.
Registered
Reaction score
It's great stuff, especially if you like David Lynch's films (of course). Get the set, watch it all, and decide which season you like more -- it's not as if the second is actually bad, just not up to one's standards (in my opinion). It is weirder though!

But there hasn't ever really been anything else quite like it, great quirky surreal fun.

Lynch's films are always a treat. Dune was pretty cool, though to be honest I prefered the visuals (which kicked ass), and I watched Eraserhead ten times, back to back. Twin Peaks sounds like what I've been looking for; surreal, intelligent tv, which will make my mind work.

Anyone else got two cents to offer me? C'mon, I know you're there!

Inkdaub

wrapped in plastic
Registered
Reaction score
Past where the river bends, past where the silo st
Lynch is my favorite filmmaker and I love everything he has done. Lynch and Mark Frost's Twin Peaks, at one time, was my favorite piece of filmed art and I was quite fanatical about it. I made pilgrimages to Snoqualmie, Washington and practically fainted when I walked down a path to a lookout and saw the Great Northern(Salish Lodge) in person. In fact, there is...or was anyway...many things for a Twin Peaks nut to swoon over in Snoqualmie as much of the establishing shots, and certain outdoor scenes, were filmed there and thereabout. Swoon I did...haha. Badalamenti's score never fails to give me chills.

Something about Twin Peaks...and Lynch in general...just works for me. I feel his work is like a place to visit rather than something to watch. I feel very actively engaged in it. It's an intangible thing that has no more rhyme or reason than anything else a person would like. Twin Peaks...stilted dialogue and bizarre plot shifts and a cast(with a few exceptions) that can do little other than Twin Peaks itself or perhaps other Lynch films...just feels right. It really is something to love instead of simply be a fan of.

So...do I like it? Yeah I do. I'm not sure you will, though. Watch it and see. Try to keep your mind open as impossible as that will be after all the press Peaks has gotten by now. I have a best friend who hates Twin Peaks. I have another friend who wanted so bad to like but went into it for the wrong reasons and ended up hating it as well. It's sort of an 'it is what it is' type thing. The hard part is that Peaks...and Lynch himself...has gotten so much hype that some people feel they should like it and then feel betrayed when they don't. The 'cool factor' has put an ugly slant on it in my opinion. Such is the case with things that become part of the collective pop-culture lexicon.

Anyway...watch it and see if you like it.

PS...one thing to remember about Peaks if you watch it. Lynch and Frost never intended the murder of Laura Palmer to be solved. They intended it to fade into a subplot that wound it's way through the show's run. The studio insisted on solving the murder and that soured Lynch on the whole thing and is one of the reasons he professes to hate television so much. Anyway, this discrepancy is behind some of the 'problems' with the second season.

Last edited:

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Twin Peaks was compulsive viewing when it aired (hard to believe almost 20 years have passed). We did feel there was something different about the 2nd series, without knowing the director was being pressured. But it still delivered some weird and wonderful entertainment.

The film, Fire Walk With Me (1992), was another experience. Technically a prequel to the TV series, it gave interesting and deeper insight into the town's characters.

-Derek

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I watched Twin Peaks when it was first shown and I was in my mid-teens, and it drew me in strongly while also disturbing me in some parts. I remember reading the book that was based on Laura's diary (also good) as it was passed around among my friends :). I'm not sure I remember a second series, although I would have watched it had it been on. I did see the film. The whole thing is highly atmospheric, and definitely worth watching.

I have the theme music on my iPod; impossible to hear it without remembering the series.

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I think I'm getting confused about the two series, as I only recall one big story line. Can someone tell me, did the second series essentially end (being vague due to avoiding spoilers) with one of the characters looking in the mirror, or was that the end of the first series?

DVGuru

Plays too many video games
Registered
Reaction score
You know, it's funny...I was just thinking today about starting a Twin Peaks thread. I picked up the box set about a year ago, having only heard of the show and that it was from the amazing mind of David Lynch. I watched the entire series in the span of a week. I actually just started watching it again over the weekend because, like Lost, the show gives me a lot to think about.

I look at Twin Peaks as the precursor to the X-Files and Lost. There's some really weird, yet fascinating, mythology. The show isn't just about Laura Palmer and who killed her. It's kind of a twisted soap opera that examines a town where everyone has a secret. I'm pretty sure I read that Lynch and Mark Frost were trying to mimic a soap opera--cheesy dialogue and all.

The second season isn't as good because Lynch and Frost left the show to concentrate on other projects, a result of the studio forcing them to reveal the killer prematurely. I’ll admit, after the killer is revealed, the story slows down a little, but there’s still a lot of mystery to the show. For me, the question wasn’t “who” killed Laura Palmer, but “what” killed her. I was hooked until the final episode.

If you like Lost there’s a pretty good chance you’ll enjoy Twin Peaks. But a word of caution. Twin Peaks is an incomplete story. Story lines are left unresolved without any clue as to how they might have concluded. I don’t regret watching the show—it’s about the journey, not the destination—but sometimes I wish there was some form of an ending. If anything, like most of Lynch’s work, it’ll leave you with plenty to think about.

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm considering buying the boxed set and I feel I should get some more opinions before I throw my money away. Has anyone here seen this? And what do you think of it?

Well what are you waiting for!? It's a great 2 series'. Is it 2? I think it is. Either way, BUY THEM! They are great fun. Totally re-watchable in the future too.

Save Fire Walk With Me for LAST. Though technically it is the beginning....you don't want to know until the end. And the character change might dissappoint you. Boyle was way better than Kelly.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
Really? From what I've read, the 2nd series is when it all starts to become even more interesting.

This is the deal with that...Lynch left in the middle of the second season, after the Laura Palmer murder was resolved. Then it started to suck out loud. Kyle McLachlin and Sherilyn Fenn were pretty irritated with him, which is a big part of why she is not in the movie, and he is in so very little of it. Then, later on, in the second season, Lynch came back, and it got really good again. He continued with the story behind BOB, and the Black Lodge, which is what he should have done as soon as they made him solve the murder. Instead, the other writers, who really had no idea where he was going with any of it, started bringing in new characters and writing inane crap. So the first season is considered better by some, because it is solid. But the second season is considered better by others, because there is a lot of filler in the middle, but the good stuff gets even better.

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
I liked the series - first season particularly - and I loved the movie Fire Walk With Me. I really should watch that again.

Alphabeter

Player of the Letters
Registered
Reaction score
I think I'm getting confused about the two series, as I only recall one big story line. Can someone tell me, did the second series essentially end (being vague due to avoiding spoilers) with one of the characters looking in the mirror, or was that the end of the first series?

I don't think this is revealing too much, but, yes the second series "finale" ended with Agent Cooper looking at BOB in a mirror after "they" left the House and Dale returned to the Lodge. The image is surreal because of the cracks in the mirror and the blood. It reminded me of the "white and red" from Hitchcock's "Marnie".

Once Lynch returned to the show, it was headed in a better long-term direction (story-wise) but by then revealing Laura Palmer's killer had muted the ratings. Even the "follow-up" movie (a prequel) created more questions than it really answered.

I'd love for him to go back and do a reunion of sorts and see where all these characters ended up say, 20 years later. Alas DL hates to revisit old material and the lukewarm reaction to "Fire Walk With Me" cemented this stance.

Alphabeter

Player of the Letters
Registered
Reaction score
Oh definitely. If you try and watch the movie first, you won't understand a lot (well, its Lynch!) that is more laid out in the series--particularly the girl dancing in the red dress.