DIY treadmill desk: any handypeople here that can help?

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
I have a treadmill with sloped armrails. I want to attach a desk to my treadmill to support my AlphaSmart, but the angle of the armrails is a problem. Any ideas on how else I can get a platform on there? Thanks!

shawkins

Ahhh. Sweet.
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
I have a treadmill with sloped armrails. I want to attach a desk to my treadmill to support my AlphaSmart, but the angle of the armrails is a problem. Any ideas on how else I can get a platform on there? Thanks!

If I'm understanding you properly, you might be able to rig something by taking the piece of wood that you're going to use as the desk and attaching 4 hose clamps to the bottom. Nailing them in would probably work OK. If you don't know what hose clamps are, they're circular metal clamps like you'd see attaching the radiator hose to your radiator. Any hardware store would have them.

Once the hose clamps are nailed on to the board, use the hose clamps to attach the board to the armrails.

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
If I'm understanding you properly, you might be able to rig something by taking the piece of wood that you're going to use as the desk and attaching 4 hose clamps to the bottom. Nailing them in would probably work OK. If you don't know what hose clamps are, they're circular metal clamps like you'd see attaching the radiator hose to your radiator. Any hardware store would have them.

Once the hose clamps are nailed on to the board, use the hose clamps to attach the board to the armrails.

Got it. The problem is that the armrails slope downward too much, so I need some way to prop the board up away from the armrails so it will be closer to horizontal. That's where I'm running into the problem. There is a horizontal bar as well, but it's only one bar, so I would need to build a bracket of some sort.

Hmmm, maybe I need to go to Lowe's for inspiration.

shawkins

Ahhh. Sweet.
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, gotcha. Try running a length of PVC or a board or something under the edge of the board closest to you. Once you find something about the right size to raise the board to horizontal, attach that to the board and then attach the hose clamps to it.

Rube goldberg, eat your heart out.

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
That's an excellent idea! Thanks so much. May I call you Bob Vila now? :D

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
Also, you could just attach a small piece of wood to the bottom of the wooden plank you're going to use as a desk to keep the Alphasmart from falling out while keeping it slanted. Even while standing, I reckon slanted would be easier to type in and also make it easier for you to see the screen.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Oh. I'm sorry. I thought you were talking about DWI.

Guess I can't help then.

Sorry.

;)

scheherazade

Human
Registered
Reaction score
Wow... are you running and typing? Or just walking? Or is it like.. run run run.. ooh, brilliant idea, gotta write it down...run run run...

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
Really slow walk. I can't stand the thought of sitting down to write after sitting all day at work. I don't need my backside to get wider, thankyouverymuch.

I figured out a possible rig using panels and Velcro tape. Gotta hit Lowe's today and see if it's even feasible.

scheherazade

Human
Registered
Reaction score
Great idea... mix writing with another good habit. Two reasons to keep at it.

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
For anyone who's interested, I figured out a rig and it works perfectly!

I attached a Rubbermaid shelf to the treadmill with Velcro tape. The lip on the shelf keeps my Alphasmart from sliding off. The keyboard position was a bit too low, so I boosted it higher with a rolled-up towel. The towel has the unexpected benefit of acting as a wrist support. Total cost: less than $20, much better than the specialized tables and gadgets that cost between several hundred and several thousand (!) dollars.

Here are photos of the rig. I can type comfortably while walking 2.0 mph. No, it won't get me into marathon shape, but it will reduce the amount of time I spend on my butt.

IMG_0898.jpg
IMG_0899.jpg

Last edited:

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Since you've already created something that works, it seems unsporting for me to arrive late and tell you every gym has these clear plastic dealies treadmill, elliptical trainer, and stair climber users can grab. They sit securely over the control panel at its angle, have a generous lower lip, and safely hold books, magazines, and probably an AlphaSmart, without taking up any of the exercise surface or space. There's one on eBay for 99 cents.

Maryn, unsporting

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
Those plastic things are quite cool! For typing, I think it would be too high, but it would be great for doing revisions. Thanks for the eBay lead!

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If you have a store that sells fitness equipment locally, they'll probably carry them. The place we bought our treadmill did.

Maryn, not all that fond of treading (but happy to walk outside)