Can I follow up after a request for partial?

elroy

Registered
Reaction score
The subject alone may get a one word answer: No. But I'm wondering...if I got a nicely crafted note asking for chapters, can I follow up if I haven't heard anything a month later? Should I wait longer? Of course I didn't ask, when handing over the goods, what the turnaround time would be. So it could be considered an innocent question. Thoughts?

elroy

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Wait 3 months unless they gave you a different timeline

Danthia

A month is nothing, three months is often the norm. Most agencies have a typical response time on their websites, and basic rule of thumb is to wait a month longer than their response time and then check back on them.

elroy

Registered
Reaction score
Okay...might post this under a new topic. But I did follow up with one agent after a proper 3 months and haven't heard back and it's going on another month since the follow-up. This was an agent that requested a partial (and an exclusive which I did not grant at the time). I've currently got no other irons in the fire, no other pots on the stove, no agents interested, just a pile of rejections and this is the only game in town. Can you understand why I might want to know what is up???

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Keep sending out queries.
Check Agentquery every few days for new agents/agents moving to a new agency.
Send a polite status query once a month until you get a reply
Write another book

MsGneiss

Registered
Reaction score
Only contact them with a follow-up if you got a request for an exclusive look that you are inclined to grant. Something like "I was hoping you can update me about the status of my partial submission. I would like to grant an exclusive read to another agent, but wanted to check with you first." Otherwise, wait three months, and send a gentle follow-up.