Cutting down a rope bridge

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
I have a scene in the WIP where a character has to stop someone who's running across a crude rope bridge. My character has an axe and is standing on the river bank. I wanted him to hack into some part of the bridge so that it would collapse and drop the runner into the drink.

Does anyone know what's the name of the bridge part that my character would have to break or chop through? I looked up rope bridges on Google, and I'm not sure if this bridge part is a trestle or an anchor. Also, would this be a realistic way to bring the bridge down?

Sarpedon

Banned
Reaction score
Well, if its a rope bridge, it isn't a trestle.

The way a rope bridge works is that there are four ropes doing the main work, with lots of interconnecting small ropes. Two main ropes support the deck, and two are the 'handrails'. The interconnecting ropes link them together and give the whole structure rigidity, kind of like a truss, only in reverse. I'm not sure what the particular rope is called.

And I don't know about using an axe to cut it. Have you ever tried to cut a rope with an axe? A saw or clippers would be quicker.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
If he can't take a swing at the ropes because the axe isn't sharp enough, then chopping where they're tied to the bridge supports (wooden posts) has got to do the biz.

-Derek

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
You know, QoS, I'd have my character chop down the supports on just one side. That would dump anyone on the bridge into the brink.

And an axe, if sharp enough, could cut those hawser ropes with one powerful swing.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marianperera.com
And an axe, if sharp enough, could cut those hawser ropes with one powerful swing.

Well, he's just been knocked down to his knees on the river bank by another attacker, so I thought the ropes might be a little out of his reach. The wooden bridge supports would be easier to reach with his axe and chop through in a hurry, though. If they're called bridge supports, I'd go with that.

Thanks, all. :)

RJK

Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:
Registered
Reaction score
The top ropes or cables are the 'main cables or ropes'
The bottom ones are the 'floor cables or ropes'
The ones strung between are called the 'suspenders'.

Cut any one of the main ropes = very unstable Cut two, I would want to be on it. Cut three, you got a rope.

HeronW

Down Under Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Cutting a rope fast in midair with an axe is damn difficult. The rope will move with the impact. Cutting a rope that is close (1-3") to wood or stone puts a stop surface behind the rope so that the pincer effect of the axe is more effective.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This thread reminds me that it's been too long since I watched The Man Who Would Be King, which includes such a scene. Saying more would be delivering spoilers, but it's a great movie, perhaps among the most pleasant homework for this scene you're writing.

I agree that having something solid behind the rope seems quite necessary for it to be cut quickly by an axe, however sharp.

Maryn, scared of rope bridges

dpaterso

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
You are in a position unsuitable to give orders!

...and other Temple of Doom quotes..

-Derek

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marianperera.com
I agree that having something solid behind the rope seems quite necessary for it to be cut quickly by an axe, however sharp.

I thought Derek's suggestion (that he chop through one of the wooden supports of the bridge that are driven into the river bank) would work. That way he wouldn't need to try for the ropes as well.

Just to clarify, Derek's suggestion works, right?

dpaterso

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
I thought Derek's suggestion (that he chop through one of the wooden supports of the bridge that are driven into the river bank) would work. That way he wouldn't need to try for the ropes as well.
If the axeman is powerful enough to accomplish this with one or two quick swings, before the fleeing character can reach the other side and escape, it'll work all right. He can cut the support post or the ropes tied to the post, either will destabilize the bridge.

But there are possible complications. If there are 2 hand ropes, the fleeing man could hang onto the second rope and still pull himself across even if his legs are in the water. Your axeman could then cut this rope too at his leisure. But the fleeing man would still have hold of the rope and this would be connected to the support post on the other side. He could pull himself the remaining distance, or drift downriver until the rope and the current pull him into shore. Unless the river current is so powerful he can't maintain his grip and is carried away. <dizzy> We need a flow chart here. :)

Just to clarify, Derek's suggestion works, right?
I'm embarrassed to admit I've never cut down a rope bridge before. Though I did throw an axe into the back of the man I was chasing before he reached the other side of the bridge, which put an end to his escape.

What? Would I lie?

-Derek