Over the air DTV Changeover in US - Coming 2/17/2009

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
Sure, if you get digital cable or satellite there's no problem. But...what if you still get 'free' analog TV? Well, you need a HD ready TV or a converter box to get the new signals. No problem there if you have either. Except...receiving DTV with an antenna can be crappy.

I built one of these tonight. It took me all of 45 minutes. I used to get 5 analog channels. Now I get 10 digital. Woot!

http://plasmama.com/plasma-flat-screen-tv/coat-hanger-hdtv-antenna

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
analog only tv here,...

so, i'll need the the converter box. right?

and the antenna you built merely improves the signal?

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, you'll need the converter box. PA has coupons available to knock $40 off any one you buy.

And, yes, the homemade antenna improves the signal immensely. I'm not using an amp either. I did the same thing the guy in the video did: leaned it against the wall and it worked. I'm going to build another one and install it on the outdoor mast this weekend just to see if I can get other channels.

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, you'll need the converter box. PA has coupons available to knock $40 off any one you buy.

yep. got them a few weeks ago.

I'm going to build another one and install it on the outdoor mast this weekend just to see if I can get other channels.

let me know if you do,....
sounds like i have a similar set up here.

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
yep. got them a few weeks ago.

let me know if you do,....
sounds like i have a similar set up here.

Will do. I have a set of Radio Shack rabbit ears that work fairly well most days but I have to fiddle with them sometimes because of dropout.

There are other designs I'll test, too. One is similar to the one in the video but they used chicken wire as the mount. The idea is to have one antenna that doesn't need a rotor.

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
That thread title changing power must come in handy occasionally.

Yeah, it does. :D

Although I might have overdone it with Ageless...

ETA: The stations I get are rather neat. For instance, WHTM 27 is a main channel. I get that in analog right now. But they have 2 piggybacks: 27.2 and 27.3.

27.2 is RTN (retro television network). All those old television series like: Alias Smith and Jones; Kojak; EMERGENCY; Wagon Train.

27.3 is an all weather channel.

Cable? We don' need no steenking cable! :)

Last edited:

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
The digital switch-over is going on over here at the moment (in the UK). The government says that the analog signals will be switched off in the UK in 2012. Although some areas, such as the Scottish Borders, have already been switched off.

I have to say I'm not a fan of them switching off the analog signal even though I already have digital TV. If you do have normal digital tv and not the new fangled V+ or Sky+ boxes, you can't tape a channel and watch a different one. So once they switch off analog, this will cause me problems.

I don't have any idea why they need to switch it off, can't they just keep it on? What harm will it do? Is it just so they can flog the frequencies the analog currently uses and make some money out of it?

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
The digital switch-over is going on over here at the moment (in the UK). The government says that the analog signals will be switched off in the UK in 2012. Although some areas, such as the Scottish Borders, have already been switched off.

I have to say I'm not a fan of them switching off the analog signal even though I already have digital TV. If you do have normal digital tv and not the new fangled V+ or Sky+ boxes, you can't tape a channel and watch a different one. So once they switch off analog, this will cause me problems.
If I understand correctly,all the US TV stations have been transmitting digital for some months (or maybe even a year or two). The "changeover" is when they turn off analog. Turning off analog has already been tested in one city in the US, with "mostly-good" results.
http://www.google.com/search?q=wilmington+dtv
I don't have any idea why they need to switch it off, can't they just keep it on? What harm will it do? Is it just so they can flog the frequencies the analog currently uses and make some money out of it?
Well, a TV transmitter uses a substantial amount of electrical power (around a megawatt, the equivalent use of hundreds of houses), and transmitting both analog and digital requires separate transmitters and is a duplication of services. If it were left to the stations, they would probably continue to transmit analog for a few more months or years (at least in the US where TV is advertiser-supported), while encouraging remaining analog viewers to 'upgrade' to digital so the station could finally shut down the analog transmitter without losing too many viewers.

But yeah, the selling of the analog bandwidth is basically it. Not sure about other countries (though I do know there's a lot of international cooperation on what services use what frequency bands), but in the US the FCC auctioned off the analog TV bands YEARS ago. I recall it went to future cellphone and similar (WiFi and WiMAX) uses that expect a lot of growth, so it's not going to go to waste (though no doubt tons of analog TV's are going straight into landfills).