I need the ultimate in WASPy last names

Status
Not open for further replies.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I've always liked the name of baseball star Chase Utley. Sounds real upper-class; which is funny, as he's about as blue-collar on the field as you can get.

caw

firehorse

Living the Dream
Registered
Reaction score
Kirkham.

Chauncey.

Macallister.

Stone.

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Ahem.

It depends if you're writing humor or not. There are many WASP stereotypes that work for comedy but aren't culturally accurate (I feel a list coming on). On the other hand, 'real' WASP names are often so generic that they might not work for comedy. For an accurate comic look, try to find a copy of The Preppy Handbook by Lisa Birnbach (1980). Dead-on.

On the serious side: A Separate Peace (John Knowles) and Ordinary People (Judith Guest).

Also see if you can find a copy of the Social Register. Boston would be best (oldest families), New York second. I think they stopped printing it around the late 70s.

For the oldest names [older = more prestigious = WASPier], search the passenger list of the Mayflower and ships that arrived prior to 1700 and/or signers of the Declaration of Independence.

The letters K and W seem to come up a lot together (e.g., Kelsey Whittenden, Wilson Kennedy, etc.)

Naming thoughts (I know you asked about last names, but I imagine your characters have first and middle ones, too - important to use in establishing WASPiness):

First names:
For men, keep it simple and classic (despite the stereotype). Matthew, David, Paul, John, Bill, Robert, Michael, etc. Possibly Clayton, Martin, Emile...

For women, two options:
1) Classic - Elizabeth, Margaret, Rebecca, Suzanne, Katherine (with a K), Alexandra
2) Family names that happen to work* - Taylor, Morgan, Whitney, Kennedy, etc. [* These are also trendy names, but in WASP families, they're always associated with a family member. Gender-neutral is preferable.]

Middle names:

Almost always a family name. Can be over the top or plain: van der Veen, Macpherson, Biddle, Newhouse, Train, Taft, Worcester, Vanderbilt.

Last names:
Wide range. The closer your character is to New England (family lineage), the more likely the name is simple: Adams, Wilson, Stone, Walker, Franklin, etc. Or see any of the middle names.

The absolute preppiest last name, IMHO, is Witherspoon, but it might make the reader think of Reese, which is probably not what you want ;) Biddle is a very old name, as is Stockton.

The Numeral
Numerals originally indicated old families. It's one of the true stereotypes and is key in introducing your character as a WASP. There is no "II" (that would be Jr.); III and IV are ideal.

The preppiest real names I know (the hash marks are so spiders don't index them):

Paul ### Vere ### Roundy ### IV

Wallace ### Macpherson ### Alston ### III ("Macky")

Before I step off my lecturn (WASPs aren't supposed to do soapboxes), one more thing: Most WASPs from the oldest families and the oldest money (not the same thing) are extremely down-to-earth, humble and gracious in an unassuming manner. They have nothing to prove and are often a bit (or more) uncomfortable about people knowing their lineage/legacy. The stereotypes are more akin to people who are trying to fit into a culture that doesn't exist (which makes them stand out all the more and works well for comedy).

I hope this is relevant...
Sarah

Last edited:

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Donahough, Devereaux, Smythe (vs Smith, of course)

(go to Harvard's, Yale's, Princeton's websites and check their allumni lists from the school's early days. Wasps swarm there.)

tehuti88

Mackinac Island Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.inkspot.com
I haven't much to say but I'm greatly amused at the number of "-ton"s. The moment I saw this post I thought of my character Andrew Barrington and he is incredibly WASPy. I also thought of the name Remington. Glad I'm not the only one. *LOL*

dirtsider

Not so new, really
Registered
Reaction score
Try flipping through Elisabeth Gaskell's works, such as Cranford and Wives and Daughters. Wonderful works to begin with. Dickens had a tendency of creating names to suit the characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.