I sort of had fun with this experience

BlueLucario

Blood Elves FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I'm still at 5.1k. I'm really angry at this, because I could have caught up to everyone else by now. I don't think I will win this one, and I really want to write. But I don't know how to get to 50k on time. Chris Baty says, that if, at this point, that you are under the 30,000 word count, you need to do something, because after Nov 30, your inner editor will come back and two weeks over time, it's going to be much much harder to write the story.

But for some reason, I had a lot of fun with this experience. Now I know what a first draft is, just crap.

(Confession: I cheated on my word count. I used a software that if you stay idle for too long, it erases your word count, so I typed like.

--gfgfr srfg4r dfderf yg ge dfs tr htg sdfwe tre f t34f d fre htr s re g ff yht w ttr f tr -

I did that so I can have some time to think. :()

Just wanted to let you all know. I had so much fun. :D

Last edited:

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Chris Baty says, that if, at this point, that you are under the 30,000 word count, you need to do something, because after Nov 30, your inner editor will come back and two weeks over time, it's going to be much much harder to write the story.

That's only true if you count your inner editor as an enemy. Since it's one of my bestest friends, I literally can't write without it--nor do I want to. *shrug*

Was that the "write or die" site? That's lots of fun, when I can get it to work on my computer.

BlueLucario

Blood Elves FTW
Registered
Reaction score
That's only true if you count your inner editor as an enemy. Since it's one of my bestest friends, I literally can't write without it--nor do I want to. *shrug*

Was that the "write or die" site? That's lots of fun, when I can get it to work on my computer.
You know about write or die? :D Yes. That's the one.

Kalyke

Registered
Reaction score
A first draft it not "just crap." It is a raw, unpolished story. It may have crap in it that needs to be deleted, changed, shifted around, but that crap is the essence of the story. Subsequent revision during the later drafts will give you more information on your raw story, so you can refine it and make it clearer. Some people describe the first draft as the "frame" of the house. Maybe the rough work. Each time you write, it becomes more like the finished project. A story or novel is both an additive and subtractive art. Some things are put in, others taken out, and the writing is made stronger as you get closer to "exactly" what you mean to say.

The only way that you can get to that point is by practice. like playing the piano, it is sitting down every day and doing it (butt on chair). As you become more confidant-- sometimes after years of failure, you will instinctively know what to put in and what to leave out. You learn this by anylising the work of other writers, listening to good advice, learing the design and structure of a novel or whatever form you are doing, and writing, over and over again.

Writing is not easy. Telling a good story may be natural to people, but NaNo is actually kind of tough because you come up with a story in the fly-- a lengthy story. That is hard even for the people who are good at it. I feel I am pretty good after 10 years, the first 5 years I wrote crap but I kept on it. I wouldn't have thought I could come up with 50K words in 1 month. I always thought 3 months at the least.

The most reasonabl thing you can do is try to figure out how you went wrong and what you can do for next year's NaNo. One thing I have learned is that you need to have the idea in your head well in advance. It has to be an idea with enough information to go 50,000 words, and you need to be interested enough in the story to sit there for a few hours a day to write it. I started by writing the typical 1,667 words per day-- I felt I knew the story well enough to speed up.

Whichis to say, even if you work slow, you must learn to pace yourself and actually write 1,667 words per day.

Sorry to get overlong, but making your wishes come true -- especially when it means learning an art-form takes a lot of commitment, and even struggle. You are on the right path, I wish I was where you are at your age, but I started to write much later. I went through the same uncertainty as you. I think we all have, the published among us, and the to-be published, and the people who just write because they love it. I am sure that you will do a much better job next November, so there is no need to feel blue about not finishing.

Learn to make friends with the inner editor. It is to be avoided when it keeps you from writing because of perfectionism (which can kill your skills in a heartbeat). The inner editor will also help drive your plot, and help you to be discriminating in your choices. It is not all bad, but should only be allowed to take control after the first draft is written.

Last edited:

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
I've been having a ball, too.

Blue, this is my fifth NaNo, and it'll be the first time I've won. And yes, I'm gonna win this one!

But I tried and didn't make 50k four times before this.

I guess what I'm saying, is that you should keep at it. You've learned something important -- you've learned that no matter how smoothly you write, your first draft is probably going to need major edits. That knowledge alone will help you write faster and better, because you'll be able to say to yourself, "It doesn't matter that this isn't perfect yet. I'm still going to keep going."

As for the rest of this NaNo, you've still got a week, including two weekends, left to go. What would be a reasonable goal for you to achieve in that time? 10K words? Think you can double your word count in the next ten days? (That's only 1k per day, you know.)

Choose something that seems reasonable to you, then give it the old college try! Go for it!

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
I also lost horribly during my first year. I learned a lot, so it wasn't a wasted try. The second year I did better, and I barely managed to win, but I also learned a lot. This year, I've been doing way better, but I'm still learning.

Trying's the only way you're ever going to get anywhere.

BlueLucario

Blood Elves FTW
Registered
Reaction score
What exactly do you mean by "enemy"? I thought you only ignore it until the book is finished. And this book is light years from the end.

jscribbles

Who killed my sea monkeys?
Registered
Reaction score
Your inner editor is only a bad thing if you let it prevent you from writing. I thought that was the point of NaNo, to remind yourself that the first draft will need a LOT of work, so just don't worry about it and keep going.

I'm glad you had fun! My first year, I think I had about 9,000 words. Last year I made it to 45,000 (yeah, I know, what was I thinking, giving up on that one?). This is my first year to win. I feel like I've learned important stuff every year I've done it. The most important thing I've learned is that I CAN do this. I CAN set a writing goal and achieve it.

I think Yeshanu makes a good point. You have time left. Set a goal for yourself and make sure you achieve it. And, when November's over, set another goal, and achieve that. You can do this.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
I've been having a ball, too.

Blue, this is my fifth NaNo, and it'll be the first time I've won. And yes, I'm gonna win this one!

But I tried and didn't make 50k four times before this.

I guess what I'm saying, is that you should keep at it. You've learned something important -- you've learned that no matter how smoothly you write, your first draft is probably going to need major edits. That knowledge alone will help you write faster and better, because you'll be able to say to yourself, "It doesn't matter that this isn't perfect yet. I'm still going to keep going."

As for the rest of this NaNo, you've still got a week, including two weekends, left to go. What would be a reasonable goal for you to achieve in that time? 10K words? Think you can double your word count in the next ten days? (That's only 1k per day, you know.)

Choose something that seems reasonable to you, then give it the old college try! Go for it!

I demand to be a beta for Yeshanu's Nano.

Seeing as I wrote half of it in rep point comments.

:p

BlueLucario

Blood Elves FTW
Registered
Reaction score
This doesn't count. Stupid word count!

I was using Write or Die, for those who are familiar with it. and I was having a difficult time, trying to figure out what my characters should do and how they go about their mission. And while I stop writing for ten seconds, my word count goes down and i'm like...no...NO NO NO STOP STOP.... I got my word back. I needed some time to think, so I typed some random gibberish.

htnd seedfet e fe hgreg fr t d fet r r4 g d wr r deg tfh r ge4 y5r h edhteh 5y e e t e rt h sg reg e tehb h t b5 u g 53h ew h rhth 54 u reh ry h eu re g 4h r ute 5tyh rew y6 tuiuhtmjk iotnh g5 yjotn 5ke kt

I think you got my point. It worked, and it has even buffed up my word count, even though I never meant to use it like that. Now I found out from a NaNoWrimo MOD that it won't count. I was mad. If that doesn't work then neither will
s pli tt ing wo rds i n ha lf.

I don't know how many words I've written without the pointless gibberish, but still I'm mad.

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
The point of nano is to write. Why would you cheat yourself of the real success of completing Nanowrimo legitimately? I guess I don't understand why you would use write or die for NaNo. And I guess I don't understand why you would even bother with NaNoWriMo if you don't want to actually write words.
Of course they don't count. You shouldn't have expected them to.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Blue. Come on. Why would you even think that was right? 50,000 words is 50,000...not random gibberish.

BlueLucario

Blood Elves FTW
Registered
Reaction score
The point of nano is to write. Why would you cheat yourself of the real success of completing Nanowrimo legitimately? I guess I don't understand why you would use write or die for NaNo. And I guess I don't understand why you would even bother with NaNoWriMo if you don't want to actually write words.
Of course they don't count. You shouldn't have expected them to.

I feel stupid now...:(

I didn't want to cheat. I had no intention to. I want to write words, it's just that if I pause to think for a second i'm trying to prevent the program from deleting my word count. I only use Kamikaze so I can keep writing, and not stop to take out the trash.

I really don't know how this stuff works.

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
Then just write in Microsoft Word so you don't have the pressure. And really WRITE.
The only person you cheat when you cheat on NaNo is yourself.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So step it down, Blue. Use the "normal" mode, which won't delete your words, but it'll still remind you to keep going, if you feel you need the extra kick in the pants to keep writing.

My personal choice would be to try word wars instead, though. A lot of people here have found them very helpful.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I didn't want to cheat. I had no intention to. I want to write words, it's just that if I pause to think for a second i'm trying to prevent the program from deleting my word count. I only use Kamikaze so I can keep writing, and not stop to take out the trash.

I really don't know how this stuff works.

Sounds like an idiotic program to me. Like Stew said, USE MICROSOFT. There is enough pressure trying to get to 50K without playing mindgames with yourself with an idiotic program that minimizes your writing to nothing but a word count.

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
*headdesk*

The purpose of 'winning' NaNoWriMo, blue, is to write 50k words. You 'win' because you accomplish that goal. Once you hit 50k, you know you have turned off your inner editor and produced a considerable word count over the course of 30 days. You cheated and now you're mad about it.

Words. Words that make sense. Words that are preferably in sentences that forward the plot.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
So step it down, Blue. Use the "normal" mode, which won't delete your words, but it'll still remind you to keep going, if you feel you need the extra kick in the pants to keep writing.

My personal choice would be to try word wars instead, though. A lot of people here have found them very helpful.

Sounds like a good idea. Makes the program sound less idiotic too.

BlueLucario

Blood Elves FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Then just write in Microsoft Word so you don't have the pressure. And really WRITE.
The only person you cheat when you cheat on NaNo is yourself.

I'll try. I didn't mean to cheat. And I guess it's okay to write when not under pressure. The average word count is less, but it might work. :)

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like a good idea. Makes the program sound less idiotic too.

LOL. The songs are annoying as hell, though. Which is one reason it worked for me when I needed it, I guess. :D

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
LOL. The songs are annoying as hell, though. Which is one reason it worked for me when I needed it, I guess. :D

Knowing nothing about it, you now have me intrigued about this masochistic program. (-;

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Believe me it really gives you a kick in the pants. No 'oh I'll just stop and make a cuppa' or the other thousand and one ways I slow down. I have it on normal ( and damn those songs are ANNOYING! which they're supposed to be) and I set it for 20 minute bursts - I generally get 500 words each time. Words that actually make sense too! I have ten minutes in between to make tea etc and have a break.

If I think the song is going to start I go back and fix my typos while I think :)

Honestly it's really worked for me. But I can see it won't necessarily work for everyone. If it doesn't work for you on normal Blue, then just write.