Synopsis question

trickywoo

Registered
Reaction score
So, some agents seem pretty clear that they want a one to five page synopsis.

But when an agent asks for a synopsis to be included in the query letter, does this mean the component of the query letter that tells about your book?

How would you interpret this?

Your query should contain a standard query letter pitch, as well as a synopsis. Please paste the first five pages of your manuscript into the body of the e-mail. Attachments will not be opened.

Rilester

Registered
Reaction score
I'm no expert, but I read that as "Please submit a query letter, a synopsis pasted into the body of your e-mail, and the first five pages, also pasted into the body of your e-mail."

I have only submitted online queries, and that's pretty much what everyone I queried requested.

trickywoo

Registered
Reaction score
I'm no expert, but I read that as "Please submit a query letter, a synopsis pasted into the body of your e-mail, and the first five pages, also pasted into the body of your e-mail."

I have only submitted online queries, and that's pretty much what everyone I queried requested.

So you would do, what - a short query letter, a one page synopsis, and then the pages of the manuscript?

Thanks! Some of the submissions requirements seem totally straightforward, but others I'm just not sure what they want.

Danthia

A query letter will have elements of your synopsis, but they're different tools. A query is a pitch, like a back cover copy, designed to make the agent say "ooo I want to read this." It's not a mini-synopsis, or a summary of events.

A synopsis is a summary of your novel that shows you know how to plot and have a story worth reading about. It shows you know how to tell a story.

A good synopsis focuses on the who, what and why. It's not just a listing of things that happen, it shows the core conflict of your story and the key plot moments and turning points that lead from the inciting event (how the story starts) to the resolution. The why is just as imporatnt as the what, as that provides motivation and context for the events.

Unless stated otherwise, send a one-page synopsis. That's typically what agents asked for. If they ask for longer, and you have a longer one that works well, send that. It's not uncommon to have several versions of your synopsis. 1, 3 or 5 pages.

trickywoo

Registered
Reaction score
A query letter will have elements of your synopsis, but they're different tools. A query is a pitch, like a back cover copy, designed to make the agent say "ooo I want to read this." It's not a mini-synopsis, or a summary of events.

A synopsis is a summary of your novel that shows you know how to plot and have a story worth reading about. It shows you know how to tell a story.

A good synopsis focuses on the who, what and why. It's not just a listing of things that happen, it shows the core conflict of your story and the key plot moments and turning points that lead from the inciting event (how the story starts) to the resolution. The why is just as imporatnt as the what, as that provides motivation and context for the events.

Unless stated otherwise, send a one-page synopsis. That's typically what agents asked for. If they ask for longer, and you have a longer one that works well, send that. It's not uncommon to have several versions of your synopsis. 1, 3 or 5 pages.

Thanks! This is very helpful.