Intel's new processor- i7

Darzian

To-to-to-ron-to
Registered
Reaction score
Check out the most significant architectural change in the x86 architecture in 13 years, the Intel Core i7. Intel has completely reinvented its CPU design, removing the antiquated Front Side Bus and replacing it with the new Intel QuickPath Interconnect, delivering up to 6.4 GT/s. Also new to the Core i7 line is the integrated memory controller, supporting Triple Channel DDR3 Memory allowing for more maximum memory, up to 24GB on some boards, and faster access times. Located directly on the CPU die is 256KB per core of L2 cache and 8MB L3 cache shared across all four cores means the CPU can do more without having to access the main memory, further increasing performance.

24 GB RAM.

O-M-G

Can't wait for the quaddie prices to come swooping down!

MoonWriter

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I'm glad they finally got rid of that antiquated Front Side Bus ... it was really getting on my nerves. And that Triple Channel DDR3 Memory ... it's like a dream come true.

Okay, I confess - I have no idea what any of that means, but if I can still play FreeCell and Soduko, I'm all for it.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, and it's STILL 8086/8088 compatible! How wonderful...
Turn it on and it boots up yesterday.
Not Microsoft's next OS...(add ... dots ... as ... need ... ed) ... ... ...
It just means all the software manufacturers will bloat up their software even more and suck up all the memory with useless widgets and enhancements.
What you said - most people would be amazed at how fast a modern computer boots Dos 6.22 and Windows 3.1. People have little clue how much faster modern machines are than ones 10 or 15 years ago. Of course, none of it means much if your main app is Microsoft W[ei]ord. I'd just as soon use Edlin ("The George [H.W.] Bush of text editors") on a PC-XT.

Darzian

To-to-to-ron-to
Registered
Reaction score
Windows 7 won't be out for at least another year.

I agree- the i7 processor and 6GB of RAM is not necessary at the moment- quad core with 4 GB RAM is more than enough for every application that the average user is going to require. I'm more thrilled about the high chance of these items dropping in price. The i7 won't be needed for some time. Perhaps it will be worth it with the release of Windows 7 and more intensive games. After all, when the hardware improves, the software runs hard to utilize that.