My story is getting away from me

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
I am just over 45k, and my story is getting away from me. It's exciting, actually! This is the part of writing I love. This is why I never try to outline.

I started out with an idea. I got to know my characters. I decided where the story would begin, I knew the plot, and I know how it will end. Well, not word for word, but the gist of the ending.

Everything else is up to my characters. I don't plan. I just write. And things pop up. Plots begin to twist. Subplots jump in and screw up things for the MC. The words fly from my fingertips without me even thinking about them first. It's like my brain is in my fingers, not my head. Or perhaps that's where my characters are, and it's really them telling the story.

Is it crap? Probably. Because my first draft always is.

But is it good? Yes!!! I don't know if that makes sense to you, but it does to me - the writing can be crap, but the story is good!

Anyone else at that magical place in your story where it starts to bend and wind away from you, to the point where you're not sure what's going to happen next?

rhgibson

Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations. I'm waiting for that... unfortunately it's just not happening... I envy you.

Reaction score
Yup, I had that a few days ago just before I hit 30k. Fantastic feeling.

Good, in that I knew I was going to finish it because the viability of the story had proven itself. In other words, "This thing flies."

Bad, because I had a "How the hell am I gonna fit all that story into 50,000 words," moment.

But anyway...I'll have a hard job squashing it all in, but I know on the rewrites I'm gonna have at least 70k, which is a respectable novel.

GeorgieB

Almost a wannabe writer
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, mine is seeming to get away from the carefully plotted story I planned for NaNo.

My MMC is trying to get away from the entanglement of one woman, trying to get entangled with another, changing jobs, sitting in hot tubs with hotness abounding. Some of that was planned, some not.

Perhaps when we let our characters say or do something that is out of character or beyond the plot and we let them get away with it--that must be our own subconscious saying "GO FOR IT!"

But, what I've written is pretty good for a first draft, and maybe the ending will fit. Still a way to go to that end and maybe I can redeem everyone.

So you're not alone, and I'd bet more writers are finding themselves in the same boat.

Deccydiva

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score
Yes!!! Definitely. I'm more excited about my NaNo than the "great novel" I've been agonising over for nearly two years. Luckily, if that's the word, they will appeal to pretty different markets so I might get both polished and out there to see what happens. It'll be hilarious if the NaNo makes it and the other doesn't!:D

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Bad, because I had a "How the hell am I gonna fit all that story into 50,000 words," moment.

Are we supposed to keep the story within 50k? I didn't think we had to do that. It's not going to happen for me. It won't be finished by 50k.

Reaction score
Well the book recommends that you get the entire story arc written within the thirty days although you're perfectly within your rights to go over 50k - as long as it's within the thirty days.

The reason given - and I agree - is that once November's over, we'll feel as if something big has come to an end, and many people will want a rest. However, if they've written 50,000 words but still not come to the end of their story, all they'll have is a partially-written first draft, not a complete one. And once you get into a new month, take a breather, you might say, "I'll finish it soon," and soon never comes...

Better to get the entire story out in one month-long brain vomit, then you'll be able to look at the entire story with critical eyes when you go back to it, rather than having to get back into the swing of the story to finish it off.

Fresie

She Who Runs The Waves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
galaktio-nova.blogspot.com
Well the book recommends that you get the entire story arc written within the thirty days although you're perfectly within your rights to go over 50k - as long as it's within the thirty days.

Oh? I didn't know that! Oh ****! :e2thud: I've got ten days to get the other half finished??? (yeah, recommended, I understand, but still...)

Yes, logically you should get the whole arc down. But getting there is so enjoyable I linger over every scene...

Alpha Echo, congratulations!
It's like my brain is in my fingers, not my head.
:e2writer:

Absolutely! Amazing, eh?

Last edited:

Kalyke

Registered
Reaction score

Thank Goodnez I've never been good at following instructions. I just discovered a major missing plot point that will elevate the plot to "amazing!" big smiles, hugs all around.

If that rule is the law here, I guess I will just go Maverick and do whatsoever I wish. I already know it will go about 10-20K over, and the plot arc will not be finished by 30th but I will have 50K words.

Considering the amount of people who are cutting and pasting random garbage and those who are just typing meaningless words, I would wonder at the legitimacy of getting the "whole character arc" down in those 50K words.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
I would have to agree us her name and congrats on finding the missing plot point! Wahoo!

I heard that so many people just type random words or as you said cut and paste. I won't be finished by November, but my goal was to be finished the draft by the end of the year before I ever decided to do Nano. Nano just happened to fall into my timeline perfectly because I was ready to start a new manuscript.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Ccarver - I love it when things like that happen!

With this one, I thought I knew exactly what was going to happen...basically. Now there's a private investigator blackmailing my MC's husband and going after her...and her mother is dying...and the ending is going to be much different than I'd originally thought.

Kinda.

It's so exciting! I love it!