MFA Programs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dceptiveophelia

Registered
Reaction score
Hi All,

(I posted this under Public Speaking & Education, but I'm afraid I won't get many responses since it seems to be predominantly about public speaking)

I'm graduating in Spring '09 with a BA (Double major English Lit & Creative Writing, Minor in Journalism), and trying to figure out which schools/MFA or MA programs to apply for.

I am in Southern California, and would ideally like to pursue a MFA in Creative Writing with a non-fiction emphasis. I have looked at CSULB (which only has poetry and fiction, however), Antioch University LA, and USC's Master of Professional Writing so far. But I'm worried about actually getting into the programs, because they seem so selective. I know CSULB only accepts six students for each concentration every year. I'm assuming USC might accept even less, and I have no idea about Antioch.

I'm thinking of getting an MA in English Lit if I don't get into a writing program, but it's not my number one choice. And, especially with the state of the economy, I feel that a Master's is necessary to give me an edge in the job market (as well as contribute to my life long learning).

Has anyone attended any of these schools, or know of any other good MFA writing programs in So Cal? Any general info/feedback/advice will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

user_offline.gif

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
University of Iowa. Undisputed top dog for prestige. Plus, they produced Tracy Kidder.

Stanford not far behind, although I don't know what's happened to that program since the passing of Wallace Stegner.

In the eastern part of the U.S., Cornell.

caw

ideagirl

Registered
Reaction score

I'm thinking of getting an MA in English Lit if I don't get into a writing program, but it's not my number one choice. And, especially with the state of the economy, I feel that a Master's is necessary to give me an edge in the job market (as well as contribute to my life long learning).

What job market would an MA in English Lit help you get a job in?

I have an MFA (Fiction) and I definitely think it's a great thing to do, IF you get into the kind of program you want (i.e., in your case, nonfiction) at a good school AND IF they give you funding. Otherwise, it's basically the world's most expensive writing workshop. It doesn't make sense to go thousands and thousands of dollars into debt to do a writing workshop. You can get good writing workshops, online or in person, for far, far, far less money. The only thing that an MFA qualifies you to do that you would not be able to do without it is teach college--but the market is saturated enough that the only way you can actually get a job is if you have both an MFA AND a good record of publications in your field (fiction/nonfiction/poetry--or produced screenplays, if your field is screenwriting).

So if you don't get into a funded program, do not go. I'm not saying NEVER go, necessarily--I'm just saying, stay in the real world, with a job, writing intensively on the side, doing writing workshops, trying to get published, until your writing skills and experience are good enough to get you into a funded program. Seriously. If you think it's hard writing on the side while also working a full-time job, try life post-nonfunded MFA: writing on the side, while working a full-time job, AND while making monstrous student loan payments every month.

And now back to my first question: unless you are madly, madly in love with English Literature and literary theory--which is what you'd be studying in a graduate program--there is literally no point whatsoever in getting an MA in English Lit. Unlike an MFA, an MA does not qualify you to teach anywhere, not even junior high school. Maybe a private junior high or high school would hire you--a public school couldn't, unless you also had teacher certification--but is that actually your career goal? If not, what IS your career goal, and how would an MA in English Lit help you get there?

The other potential problem with an MA in English Lit is that at many schools--possibly most, though I really couldn't say--you don't apply to an MA program, you apply to a PhD program, and they happen to give you an MA degree along the way. My sense, and I could be wrong on this so do check, is that to get funding, you will be limited to PhD programs that grant MA's en route. (And like I said earlier, IT IS INSANE to get a graduate degree in the humanities without funding. IT IS INSANE to pay for such a graduate degree yourself. You will literally spend the next 20 years paying through the nose for it.) So anyway, to get an MA with funding, you'll probably need to be applying to PhD programs. Your competitors will largely be people who are completely passionate about some aspect of English Lit and/or literary theory. What is your statement of purpose going to say--"I am applying for this MA because I didn't get into an MFA program"? How are you going to muster the kind of passion and engagement to put together a competitive application, given that you're actually NOT passionate about getting an MA?

And more to the point, WHY would you apply to an MA program, given that there are essentially no jobs that require it...

Please keep in mind that I'm not trying to discourage you from following your dream, at all. I just observed from your post that an MA in English Lit is not your dream (so why do it?!), and I also surmised that you might have some misconceptions about the job market--i.e., you think there are nice jobs you could get with an English MA that you could not get otherwise. There are a lot of people who apply to grad school for no other reason than that they don't know what to do after college and they liked their [insert subject here] classes. That's a really bad reason to get massively in debt. If your dream is to be a writer of creative nonfiction, then pursue it, absolutely--all I'm saying is that the plan you described (going for MFA, and if not that, then MA) is not the best path to that dream.

Oh and by the way, the U of Pittsburgh has a strong program in creative nonfiction.

Last edited:

dceptiveophelia

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

Thanks for all the replies and advice! It def gives me a lot to think about.

I had kind of thought about getting a Master's before, but originally planned to start working again full time after I graduated. This past summer, one of my upper division creative non-fiction professors encouraged me to do an MFA at the end of the semester. It got me thinking of other options after graduation. I am attracted to non-fiction because I would like to go into journalistic writing/editing/book publishing as a career.

I just keep hearing everyone saying that you need a Master's degree now to get a good job, and that Bachelor's are looked at like AA's now. I guess I was under the impression that this meant a Master's on your resume would give you a much needed boost regardless of the field it was acquired in. That is why I had thought about getting an MA in English Lit if I didn't get into an MFA program. Many of the students and profs around me are talking about the state of the economy, and how it is making it even harder to find a good job. I thought maybe if I wasn't able to find a decent job in writing/editing, I could fall back on teaching. (Several people also told me one could teach college with a Master's. I didn't know it had to be an MFA vs a MA--thanks for clarifying!).

I am currently low-income because I only work part-time, and I received grants to cover my tuition. But I don't know if the financial aid for graduate study is any worse/better?

Hmmmmm....so much to think about! It sounds like it might be better not to get one after all. It is a lot of extra time and money.

Status
Not open for further replies.