Hitting a brick wall at 38K

rhgibson

Registered
Reaction score
I've been trying to keep up a steady pace of 2000 or more words a day and it's been going fine. In fact, I really could have been doing a lot more, but I think I subconsciously wasn't because I was avoiding ending up where I am today. Just over halfway through my count of the day, I started a new chapter and it sucks!

One of my 'rules' has been to never end the day until I'm happy with where it'll be going the next, so I end on a positive note and I look forward to taking it up again. But today it was so bad at the end and I just didn't have the energy to bring it around to anything, I guess because it feels like a major problem.

So I'm thinking maybe tomorrow I should just forget this chapter and start a new one that is possibly a radical departure from what i've been doing. (as in changing the POV to another character) So far I've been writing in a pretty organized way, Chapters in order, with my eye on the story as a whole, but now I'm thinking of going off on a tangent, and it scares the hell out of me, but maybe that's what I need.

Anybody else having, or had, a similar problem? Advice?

Saint Fool

Registered
Reaction score
I ran into this problem a couple of days ago. Jumped ahead to a scene that I really wanted to write and have been going full steam ahead. At some point I'll have to come back and deal with the skipped action but it will probably have to be after NaNo is done because it means rewriting a couple of chapters and changing the arc of the character who was supposed to be the hero, but isn't. (The rotter! Changing his motivation when I wasn't looking."

Do whatever it takes to get writing again. Good luck!

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
In my first NaNo, I hit a brick wall at about 20K. I could not figure out what was supposed to happen next. After about a day of beating my head against the computer screen (figuratively), I realized that my beginning was wrong. The approach I'd taken had completely destroyed any sense of mystery in the story.

What I decided to do was change the beginning, but since this was NaNo, I didn't want to get rid of what I'd already written. So I wrote some notes into the file about the changes I wanted to make, then continued on as if those changes had already been made. If you read the draft in order, my MCs get introduced to the same characters twice for the first time. ;)

In this year's NaNo, I was having trouble getting motivated to write a particular scene, so I jumped ahead and wrote the next scene. Once that was written, the scene I skipped came into focus so I wrote that, and now I'm ready to continue onward.

So consider what's bothering you. Is it story direction or just lack of interest in a particular scene? Skip forward if that will help. There's no rule that says you have to write all the scenes in order. Since this is NaNo, if you're going to throw out a scene you've written, I suggest leaving it in the file so it gets counted towards the NaNo goal, but grey it out or something so that you know it's not part of the actual story.

Good luck in whatever you choose!

rhgibson

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks so much, Saint Fool and TheIT. This helps. And TheIT it actually is more than just the chapter I guess, but is also story direction. The inner editor has reared its ugly head. I'm going to have to seriously put the reins on it, and move ahead. Hopefully starting a new chapter will get me back on track...

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
Glad to help!

Another trick to gag the internal editor is to think of this as an extended outline. You're playing with different story directions. If one fizzles, that's all right. Keep moving. There are plenty of other directions to try.

The story where I hit the brick wall was my first NaNo attempt three years ago. I hit the 50K but never finished the story. This year I'm rewriting that story using the first attempt as a jumping off point, and I'm hoping to hit both 50K and THE END.

Elonna

I'm a dork
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elonna.com
Whatever you decide to do, just don't delete those words...strike through them, cut and past to bottom or whatever if you're going to get rid of them all together...but they still count towards the total on the 30th ;)

Mad Queen

California Mountain Snake
Registered
Reaction score
I've already had to jump back and forth in the story several times. The middle part is too hard for me to write now without a detailed outline and I've decided to avoid it altogether. Summarise your difficult chapters in a sentence--'And then Protagonist, who was a farm boy, somehow became the king.' or 'And then Protagonist escaped from that maximum security prison using only a pair of scissors somehow.'-- and jump to a part of the story you are comfortable with. You can turn the summary into proper prose after you figure out what's supposed to happen and how.

Last edited:

Captain Howdy

closer + prettier than ever
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
The fifth chapter of my nine chapter NaNo consists of about a 500 word summary. I've got about a thousand deleted words somewhere along the way, plus during the third quarter the whole story disolves into rampant silliness - BUT - I finished a draft of a novel for the first time in 35 years of wanting to write a novel and I have a decent first half and a second half that will need major work if I chose to work on it in the future.

can you do it?

YES YOU CAN!

:poke:

rhgibson

Registered
Reaction score
It's good to hear that others have had this experience at 40K (Jersey Chick) because there's something about seeing that red line moving closer to the end that makes you feel that you should be someplace substantial and when you realize you're not, it's tough. But part of that is writing something that you never thought would be anywhere near finished at 50k anyway so I have to keep that in mind.
Extended outline (TheIT) yes! good thought.

Thanks everyone, I feel much better about starting again tomorrow. I guess I'm just in the fifth chapter/middle slump right now. (Captain Howdy/Mad Queen) And once I get past it, maybe I'll see you in word war Elonna.

Kalyke

Registered
Reaction score
Basically-- look- what I would do in the same case is to just start to write-- perhaps the stuff that should fill it in more. Do it at the end of the book. It will be a muddled jumble but you can start to sort it out in December. I've got various places where i am just writing some stuff that I realised should have gone in a chapter that I have gone way past. I know that after the 30th of november I will take the time, go over it, and re-shape it. What you are doing in the first draft is creating the "cloth" but you will be tailoring it and stitching it together later. What this is about is speed and word count-- so just create content and worry about it later.