What Kids Watch on tv these days in I'm new to Children Writing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

chelle21

Banned
Reaction score
Website
home.bellsouth.net
Hello Fellow Children Writers:

I'm new to writing children novels but what amazes me these days is what the kids watch on tv. I'm a 21-year-old female, in I still love watching cartoons plus I have a seven-year-old sister in I was amazed by what she said the other day. I'm going to use what she said as a quote. "Many adults don't take their time to watch tv with there kids, or see what kind of tv shows we like." We like shows that have good characters in it, in magic stuff like the cartoon show Witch, Dragon Tales, Power Rangers S.P.D., Super Robot Monkey Hyperforce Team Go, Kim Possible, That's So Raven, Lilo in Stitch, The Proud Family, Clifford the Big Red Dog, Scout Safari, Strange Days at Blake Holsey High, Braceface, Lizzie McGuire, Beyblade, Dragon Booster, Dragon Ball Z, Codename: Kid Next Door, Scooby Where Are You the old in new series, Arthur, Care Bears, Recess, 64 Zoo Lane, Max & Ruby, and Spongebod SquarePants.

(QUOTE) These are the shows I like watching because there fun to watch, she said Chelle I'm just pointing something out to you for you can get started in my teacher always told me to voice my opinion if something was needed.

I've been working with kids for two years now, this year would have been my third year but our Mayor decided to cut the program here in Memphis so I'm taking another leap of faith in trying to write children books. I wanted to know what's selling in what's not selling?

Chelle21

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
chelle21 said:
I've been working with kids for two years now, this year would have been my third year but our Mayor decided to cut the program here in Memphis so I'm taking another leap of faith in trying to write children books. I wanted to know what's selling in what's not selling?

http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNxdm801YYUS

Librarians and bookstore people can be a valuable resource. Next time your little sister wants to go to the library, tag along. Ask the children's librarian what the most popular titles are these days. Go to Barnes and Noble, or whatever bookstore you haunt, and make nice with the folks who work there. They'll probably be happy to tell you what's hot this week and what's not. Another option is to check out the catalogs of publishing houses that you KNOW print children's books, and see what's the New Big Thing.

One suggestion though, and you can take it or leave it: write the story you want to tell. Don't write a story based on what the current fad or trend is, because I guarantee that'll change by the time you get it to a publisher's desk.

Tilda

Registered
Reaction score
PattiTheWicked said:
One suggestion though, and you can take it or leave it: write the story you want to tell. Don't write a story based on what the current fad or trend is, because I guarantee that'll change by the time you get it to a publisher's desk.

Excellent advice! Write a story that's in you, disregarding the trends. Think of J.K Rowling. She was told that a story with a boarding school was old-fashioned and wouldn't sell, and look what happened:Thumbs:
The important things are to master the language with which you write (spelling, sentence structure, etc.), have a grabbing, interesting story, and tell your story well (show- don't tell, POV, etc.).
And after that...carve an excellent query letter, write a killer synopsis, find out publishers' guidelines and then submit according to them:)

Lucky Penny

Been gone WAY too long!
Registered
Reaction score
I'd have to say that the suggestions you've already gotten are excellent!

And remember that kids are fickle! Just because they like such and such today, doesn't mean that's what they'll like 2 months from now!

Would also like to point out that your typo Spongebod SquarePants made me giggle! :ROFL:

Status
Not open for further replies.