Silent Mouse

Darzian

To-to-to-ron-to
Registered
Reaction score
Is there such a thing? I'm getting fed up with the clicking noise, especially at night when I'd prefer utter silence. I lower the revolutions of my CPU fan at night to reduce the noise, but the clicking drives me nuts! Are there mouses that do not make a noise???????

And am I the only weirdo affected by this?

chevbrock

Registered
Reaction score
My hubby does it all the time. Not just the clicking, although when he clicks, he raises his finger as high as it will go, then thumps it down on the button. And his desk is so full of crap that he doesn't have much room to move the mouse on, so he has to lift the mouse and plonk it down again. Does it bother him? No, he's stone deaf - can't hear a flippin' noise at night!

His chair is very creaky, too. And he snores. And when he farts, everyone knows about it ...

Sorry - got carried away, there! Yes, I feel your pain, sister!

vixey

C'est la vie!
Registered
Reaction score
I don't have a clicking mouse. I use a laptop. :D OK...that's totally unhelpful. Sorry.

Darzian

To-to-to-ron-to
Registered
Reaction score
I don't have a clicking mouse. I use a laptop. :D OK...that's totally unhelpful. Sorry.

Ah! I'm getting one soon so it is helpful! I didn't realize my problem would be solved by that!

I don't even notice

Neither do I in the daylight. But at night with everything quiet.....the clicking's driving me nuts.

Reaction score
Seems like you have a problem with your mouse balls there, friend.

What?

I'm going, I'm going...

Darzian

To-to-to-ron-to
Registered
Reaction score
Seems like you have a problem with your mouse balls there, friend.

What?

I'm going, I'm going...

Ah, SP, your friendly neighbour would drown out all clicking noises in the night with music, wouldn't she?

:Guitar:

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
Everytime I see the title of this thread, I see "Silent mouse" continued with "Holy Mouse".

Darzian

To-to-to-ron-to
Registered
Reaction score
Optical mouse people! Who uses the ones with balls anymore?

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ah! I'm getting one soon so it is helpful! I didn't realize my problem would be solved by that!

Might not be. I have a laptop and the built in touch mouse clicks-Tha-thunk

crimsonnyx

Werewolves & Vampyres Lover
Registered
Reaction score
gosh, a silent mouse...surprisingly, I am not scared of any rodents. But I'm very scared of all types of insects!! even a silly thumb sized moth, I squeak.
unless their snakes...then I'm fine. I love snakes...weird huh?
considering I'm a girl *frowns in thought*

Darzian

To-to-to-ron-to
Registered
Reaction score
Just turn the music up louder... that's how I'm dealing with the slow and noisy death of the clutch assembly on my car. =)

I require absolute silence. I even replaced my keyboard with one that is more quiet.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
How does one "lower the revolutions of my CPU fan" ???

My hubby does it all the time. Not just the clicking, although when he clicks, he raises his finger as high as it will go, then thumps it down on the button. And his desk is so full of crap that he doesn't have much room to move the mouse on, so he has to lift the mouse and plonk it down again. Does it bother him? No, he's stone deaf - can't hear a flippin' noise at night!
That's how I use a mouse, too. I lift and bang it down onto the table repeatedly as I scroll along. And I do the finger strike, too. And my desk is full of crap! I wonder if we're related.

But I don't notice how loud any of that is because I have my headphones on blasting youtube.

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
Ahhhh... time to drag out this ol' -ahem- chestnut from IBM:

Abstract: Mouse Balls Available as FRU (Field Replacement Unit)
Mouse balls are now available as FRU. Therefore, if a mouse fails to operate or should it perform erratically, it may need a ball replacement. Because of the delicate nature of this procedure, replacement of mouse balls should only be attempted by properly trained personnel.

Before proceeding, determine the type of mouse balls by examining the underside of the mouse. Domestic balls will be larger and harder than foreign balls. Ball removal procedures differ depending upon manufacturer of the mouse. Foreign balls can be replaced using the pop-off method. Domestic balls are replaced using the twist-off method. Mouse balls are not usually static sensitive. However, excessive handling can result in sudden discharge. Upon completion of ball replacement, the mouse may be used immediately.

It is recommended that each replacer have a pair of spare balls for maintaining optimum customer satisfaction, and that any customer missing his balls should suspect local personnel of removing these necessary items.

To re-order, specify one of the following:

P/N 33F8462 - Domestic Mouse Balls
P/N 33F8461 - Foreign Mouse Balls

Darzian

To-to-to-ron-to
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe ear plugs then? Then you can't hear anything?

Can't do that either. My next door flat was robbed recently. In a flat further up the road, there was a most unjust murder. I'm paranoid of getting invaded in my house now.

Okay, I can see people losing their tempers.....:D

:e2Order:

Reaction score
Can't do that either. My next door flat was robbed recently. In a flat further up the road, there was a most unjust murder. I'm paranoid of getting invaded in my house now.

Okay, I can see people losing their tempers.....:D

:e2Order:

As opposed to a socially-acceptable one? :D

Darzian

To-to-to-ron-to
Registered
Reaction score
OFG: :eek:

How does one "lower the revolutions of my CPU fan" ???

When you start up, you press DEL to enter the BIOS and there you tweak the fan setting. It will vary depending on your motherboard. I've got a Foxconn one so I have to activate something called 'smart fan.' Smart Fan means the fan adjusts its speed depending on the processor usage. When the usage is high, it speeds up. Mostly the CPU usage is well below 50% so my CPU fan noise level dropped dramatically with this small tweak in the BIOS.