Giving up on the goal but still writing?

bsolah

AW's Resident Commie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.benjaminsolah.com
So I'm way behind in NaNo. I've got like 8,600 words, missed a couple of days at the start and at Day 10 wrote a blog post announcing my throwing in of the metaphorical towel.

But I wasn't feeling so bad. I still wanted to write. I just couldn't see myself hitting the goal. I pledged to keep writing, perhaps hit 15,000 words but the end of the month and I'd be happy.

I haven't written anything since.

So I need some encouragement from people to keep at it, to get up to my own pace without pushing myself too hard.

The network at work was screwing up today, so I have a good opportunity to write today. I pledged on my blog to write just 300 words today, at least.

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
Keep writing. Come join us over at the 500 words/day thread or one of the other page-a-day threads. Marathon, not sprint.

Good luck!

Kalyke

Registered
Reaction score
I've heard of people doing NaNo at other times of the year. Maybe find some friends who are going to do it in January or some other time. I personally would like a Year long NaNo. I've actually worked faster simply because I am a part of this. I consider myself a good writer, but a slow one. This has really helped me out tremendously.

Captain Howdy

closer + prettier than ever
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I've heard of people doing NaNo at other times of the year. Maybe find some friends who are going to do it in January or some other time. I personally would like a Year long NaNo. I've actually worked faster simply because I am a part of this. I consider myself a good writer, but a slow one. This has really helped me out tremendously.

so I would like to reiterate TheIT's invitation to drop on over to the monthly 500 word a day count threads we have in the Mystery Thriller Suspense forum. It was a HUGE help for me this entire year, it IS sort of like a scaled down version of NaNo all year long, very motivational toward meeting your daily writing goals, whatever they may be. Plus lot's of great people to get to know!

KarlaErikaCal

YA romance writer in love with love
Registered
Reaction score
Definitely don't stop writing. Many people are at and even below (like myself) at your word count. At this stage, all you can do is strive hard and get that story out there. It's so important to continue writing, even if it is just 500 words/day. Just as long as you keep writing, things will be OK. So there is nothing to worry about, just write what comes to mind and keep at it. :)

Inkspill

Registered
Reaction score
Keep on writing!
You can still write daily and enjoy the community part of NaNo.
Writing as a daily habit should never be scorned. =)

Good luck, and keep going!

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
I've already invited the folks in the "slacker" thread, and I'll invite all you folks too:

Tomorrow, I'm going for a repeat of today. Join me tomorrow in the "i can haz 5k 2day" thread in this forum. Go head-to-head with me in some word wars. I'll be starting at noon my time, and continuing on until about three or quarter past three.

Kryianna

Registered
Reaction score
I've written 7k on 2 different novels, and am starting over yet again. I'll keep writing, partially because I like idea #3, and it works with my first NaNo and two other WIP's. I'll be aiming for 500 a day as well. That I think I can do. Maybe even 1k a day, but winning NaNo is a bit out of the question now, I think.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
I'm not giving up until midnight on November 30. To do otherwise would be unfair to me, my dreams, and all they represent.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm feeling the same way. I'm about 11K behind now and while I'm still writing most every day (birthdays are granted 0 count days), I'm pretty much not worried about hitting the goal. I'm just happy to be writing a story I really care about again.

Maine2

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
well, I'm in the same boat. I just hit a little over 10000 words yesterday, but I promised myself I would keep trying just to see how far I can get in this month despite everything that is going on. Also, despite the fact that I am behind I still found this Nano month to be a rewarding month and I discovered a new story that I think has alot of potential. Well, good luck!

NicoleMD

Onomatopotamus
Registered
Reaction score
I set out to do 1000 words a day, and have met my goal so far. So it might take me an extra few weeks to get to 50,000, but it's a lot less stressful for me. I impose no limits on the crap I write and encourage gross amounts of suckitudenage. It flows easier that way.

Nicole

Enzo

Registered
Reaction score
15,000 words is better than nothing.
While everyone is having fun writing, just jump on the bandwagon and dont' worry about getting 50K. Anything's good.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So if we're agreed that we're not pushing to make the 50K goal and our stories are really great--how about if we talk more about WHAT we're writing instead of how many words are in it?

I'm presently in the midst of my hero's band arriving at the capital city and discovering the legends about how magical it is are really true just before they walk into the start of the funeral for the king killed in Ch 1.

bsolah

AW's Resident Commie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.benjaminsolah.com
My slave hero is walking through 12th Century Kiev after his slave brothers have gone through and now my hero is finding lots of dead bodies or guards and slaves, but the place is empty...

c2ckim

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thereadersretreat.com
Never give up just do what you can when you can. Even if you only do 15,000, hey that's 15,000 words you didn't have before! Good luck with your work

ThriftyWench

Registered
Reaction score
I've accepted that at 25,000 words and a full workload its unlikely i'm going to win. But I WILL Complete the first draft my January, I plan on doing about 80K by then.