Opportunity to meet two publishers and an Agent - any advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deccydiva

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score
There is a talk on locally this Thursday about "how to get published" with presentations from two publishers (one of poetry, one of fiction) and an Agent. Apparently there will be a chance to speak with them afterwards - not many aspiring writers have booked so far, so the chances are good.
Any advice on what to ask and more importantly, what not to ask? I have an MS nearly at the end of the editing process and I'm currently working on the synopsis.
Perhaps I should just listen and take notes?
I don't want to come across as a complete novice, even though I am... ;)
What have you done in this situation?

Susan Breen

Registered
Reaction score
I think anything you ask will be fine because the key thing is to be able to say, when you write them a query letter, "I so enjoyed meeting you at..."
However, you might want to ask, What are you reading now? Or what's your favorite type of book?

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Deccy, those three speakers are bound to say things that will give you ideas. After they have made their presentations, you can go up and say, "I'm fascinated by what you said about writing under water. I've been doing exactly that for the past year, and I wonder if you think..."

Well, you get the idea.

And if it seems appropriate, there's nothing wrong with indicating that you're working on a project that might interest them. If they ask for details, you might describe the project briefly. You have made a contact, and if you choose to submit material to that person later, you are armed with the useful phrase "It was a pleasure talking with you the other day..."

Just don't shout.

:e2Order:

Deccydiva

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score
Just got back - and it was definitely worthwhile going!
The questions were from the floor, to all three speakers. I asked about the preferred content of the covering/query letter - and what NOT to include - and one of them produced a ficticious "bad" letter and read it out, it was hilarious.
I had a very quick chat with the Agent afterwards and have come away feeling even more inspired, must get on and do my query letter and synopsis as she's suggested I submit those with three chapters... :hooray:
One small step, but one in the right direction.
I even managed to tell her about this site.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.