PDA

View Full Version : Most Charming British Person...

Wormo
05-10-2005, 12:44 AM
I was just curious who anybody thought (besides me of course - wink wink chuckle chuckle) who tho most charming british person is/was?... that's it... simple question... perhaps you could share some insight aswell.

trumancoyote
05-10-2005, 12:53 AM
I was just curious who anybody thought (besides me of course - wink wink chuckle chuckle) who tho most charming british person is/was?... that's it... simple question... perhaps you could share some insight aswell.

Prince William ;)

Liam Jackson
05-10-2005, 01:03 AM
John Cleese. World class entertainer, hell of a management trainer, and always a gentleman.

Sarita
05-10-2005, 02:24 AM
Excellent question! Can I vote for all of them? No? Creature of David, you seem pretty charming :)

I need to ponder this one, perhaps do some research...

robeiae
05-10-2005, 02:35 AM
Any Australian pretending to be British...

maestrowork
05-10-2005, 03:08 AM
The Queen Mother. I really liked her...

For actors, I think Anthony Hopkins is quite charming. Julie Andrews is his female counterpart.

Mark Anderson
05-10-2005, 06:27 AM
Dame Edna.

Dawno
05-10-2005, 06:34 AM
Terry Pratchett

jackie106
05-10-2005, 06:55 AM
Prince William ;)

Well, it sure as hell isn't Harry.

Definitely Cary Grant. He was super-debonair, witty and impeccably dressed.

Jackie

Mr Underhill
05-10-2005, 07:14 AM
John Uskglass.

jackie106
05-10-2005, 07:37 AM
John Uskglass.

Good answer!

poetinahat
05-10-2005, 10:33 AM

Thumbs up for Julie Andrews and Cary Grant, but I've got one winner and a three-way tie for second (it looks great with a dinner jacket, suit, or sport coat):

1st: P.G. Wodehouse

2nd:
Sean Connery
Sir John Gielgud
Michael Caine

Wish I could say Morrissey, but, mwell... singing "This Charming Man" doesn't make one charming, does it?

Wormo
05-10-2005, 02:43 PM
Any Australian pretending to be British...

Even George Lazenby? :O

Nivvie
05-10-2005, 04:17 PM
I too think Cary was smooth, ditto David Niven.

I don't think any royal is charming, I think they all have their charm removed surgically at birth, Willam included.

mmm... pancakes
05-10-2005, 04:37 PM
I'm almost ashamed to admit that I'm a fan of Hugh Grant.

Acting-wise, that is.

Sarita
05-10-2005, 04:48 PM
I'm almost ashamed to admit that I'm a fan of Hugh Grant.

Any dislike I may have had for him was washed away by the dance scene in Love Actually...

Azure Skye
05-10-2005, 08:13 PM
Michael Palin was the first person to jump into my head.

oswann
05-10-2005, 08:15 PM
Judy Dench.

Os.

Betty W01
05-10-2005, 08:51 PM
For charming Brits that aren't famous, my sister-in-law and her dad, sister and nephews definitely qualify. Famous? P. G. Wodehouse, Sean Connery, John Cleese, Judy Dench, Paul McCartney all get my vote.

OT: I've been listening to Wodehouse books on tape for several weeks now and have discovered they need to be put under the "no drinking while indulging in" ban that AW boards are under.... I put the tapes on while I cook or do dishes and my family constantly walks through the kitchen and stops to ask me what I'm laughing about. (Dave Barry, although not British, is also funny on tape...)

poetinahat
05-11-2005, 09:22 AM
Any dislike I may have had for him was washed away by the dance scene in Love Actually...

Stop being so clued in, dammit!:flag:

aspier
05-11-2005, 07:27 PM
Mohammed Ali the boxer ... oh he was the greatest of the all ... ok, 'charming' eh, well they don't have charme in boxing do then? Oops sorry! Wrong thread!

JanaLanier
05-11-2005, 07:30 PM
Austin Powers. :tongue

tjwriter
05-11-2005, 11:30 PM
Hugh Laurie from House

Kida Adelyne
05-12-2005, 05:54 AM
I don't think any royal is charming, I think they all have their charm removed surgically at birth, Willam included.
:roll:It's funny 'cus it's true!:roll:

Ummmmm... hard question. I saw this really charming british comedian on Just For Laughs once, but I can't remeber his name.

However the answer that I can come up with is Orlando Bloom. However, as a teen girl LOTR's fan, I am exceptionally biased in this opinion.

maestrowork
05-12-2005, 05:59 AM
Pierce Brosnan -- well, technically he's Irish. After Sean Connery, he's my favorite Bond.

Yeshanu
05-12-2005, 07:30 AM
I'll definitely have to go with the Queen Mom. She was graciousness personified.

I'm also a big fan of John Cleese.

triceretops
05-12-2005, 07:43 AM
Benny Hill? Is Liz Hurely a Brit? I'm bedazzled by her.

maestrowork
05-12-2005, 07:55 AM
Oooh, Liz Hurley... although I wouldn't call her "charming." I'd call her, "come here." Meow.

Now, Jude Law is very charming, as are Vanessa and Lynn Redgrave.

And Liam Leeson.

oswann
05-12-2005, 12:12 PM
:roll:It's funny 'cus it's true!:roll:

Ummmmm... hard question. I saw this really charming british comedian on Just For Laughs once, but I can't remeber his name.

However the answer that I can come up with is Orlando Bloom. However, as a teen girl LOTR's fan, I am exceptionally biased in this opinion.

A have a good friend who was at school in Canterbury with Orlando Bloom.

Just thought I'd name drop. Continue.
Os.

ashlee111
05-12-2005, 03:19 PM
Hugh Grant, Tim Curry,John Cleese, Rowan Atkinson, Paul McCartney, Patrick Mc Nee, Edward Woodward.

srwpnh
05-13-2005, 12:41 AM
Those that wrote Judy Dench are right on. I would also have to say Kenneth Branagh is extremely gifted and charming -- Woops! He's Irish! I'd also like to toss British author Anna Maxted in -- she writes as if she would be very charming in real life.

PattiTheWicked
05-13-2005, 07:45 AM
John Cleese
Prince William
Judy Dench
Billy Boyd and Dominic Monaghan, although I think Billy's actually from Glasgow
My cousin Rodney, who really should have been a Benny Hill character.

Oh, and I'll throw in Clive Owen, just because he looks good enough to nibble on. Mmmrowww.

firehorse
05-13-2005, 08:06 AM
Sorry to nitpick, but I have to point out that Judi Dench is spelled with an "i" and is usually referred to as Dame Judi Dench (she's earned it!). There are a whole cluster of women her age and calibre that I adore: Maggie Smith, Helen Mirren, Eileen Atkins, Julie Walters... to name a few.

I love Emma Thompson, I have immense respect for Hugh Laurie, and Clive Owen as actors, and I have a major crushes on Colin Firth and Ewan MacGregor (Scottish accents are so sexy), but when it comes to being downright debonair, Martin Jarvis wins. He was in Titanic, has done most of the Wodehouse audiobooks and played Jeeves on Broadway in "By Jeeves".

Jude Law's damned sexy, but I think he'd mostly win "Prettiest Brit".

There are so many theatre actors remain anonymous to the rest of the world (including me); I think many of them would probably win for talent and charm (nobody's more charming than actors - psycho, often, but charming, too ;)).

Oooh! Playwright Alan Ayckbourn. Yes. That's my semi-final answer.

And if we're going with dead people, Princess Di. Cliche, but true.

Back to Hugh Laurie for a sec: he probably does the best American accent of any British actor I've seen, but I prefer his natural voice. Then again, most British accents are more attractive than most American accents.

aboyd
05-13-2005, 09:10 AM
I was just curious who anybody thought (besides me of course - wink wink chuckle chuckle) who tho most charming british person is/was?Roxy Jezel

(Do NOT Google her. NSFW.)

-Tony

oswann
05-13-2005, 11:19 AM
You're right to nitpick for Judi with an 'i'. I should have remembered. I should also have remembered Helen Mirren.

Os.

ashlee111
05-13-2005, 11:36 AM
I forgot to add Benny Hill, his little bald headed guy and of course, Patricia Routeledge.:Clap:

maestrowork
05-13-2005, 05:35 PM
Roxy Jezel

(Do NOT Google her. NSFW.)

-Tony

Shame on you.

(well, I wasn't at "work")

aka eraser
05-13-2005, 05:48 PM
Peter Ustinov. He was a wonderful storyteller with a wicked, self-deprecating wit.

firehorse
05-13-2005, 07:31 PM
Pierce Brosnan -- well, technically he's Irish. After Sean Connery, he's my favorite Bond.Sean Connery is Scottish ;). He lost my admiration when he said he thought it was okay to smack a woman around once in a while.

jazzy1_one
05-16-2005, 05:20 AM
John Lydon in his heyday
:D

Kida Adelyne
05-16-2005, 05:08 PM
Alan Rickman, hands down.

How could I forget about him?:Smack: Charming beyond all measure.:Thumbs: