Snail Mail Rejection

Status
Not open for further replies.

bocabum

Procrastinator/Doddlebutter
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new here, and was just wondering if anyone could answer my question.

I've sent out both e-queries, and snail mail queries, and was wondering, if an agent I've snail mailed is interested, will they e-mail me with instructions for mailing partials, etc.? Or will they snail mail me back, with my SASE, asking for a partial??

In other words, if I receive one of my SASE's in the mail, should I assume, before even opening it, that it's a rejection? (Of course I'll open it, I just don't want to get my hopes up too much, when I find one of my SASE's in the mail!)

Waiting to hear back from agents is beyond stressful!! :S

Thanks! :)

Karen Duvall

Chalice the Hatchet Knight
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.karenduvall.blogspot.com
I've often had requests for partials and fulls come to me via my snail mailed SASEs. So don't assume the SASEs in your mailbox are rejections. Requests come that way, too. Good luck!

MagicMan

Registered
Reaction score
You will find the rejections will alway outweigh the requests for partials and fulls.

Your possitive response from a snail mail query could come in any of three ways, normally by SASE, occasionally by e-mail, and if they are real excited by phone.

A rejection can occur for a number of reasons.
a) They don't handle your specific genre.
b) They have met their quota.
c) Grammar. Any grammar errors in your query kill the query.
d) Too verbose, a query must be concise.
e) The query does not show a unique captivating story.

You could post your query to Share Your Work, Queries and Synopsis.

Smiles
Bob

bocabum

Procrastinator/Doddlebutter
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the replies! At least now I know there might be a slight chance, that, inside that dreaded SASE in my mail box, there might be a request for more material!! :)

vixey

C'est la vie!
Registered
Reaction score
I've had email requests to snailed queries. Still waiting for my SASE to bring positive news.

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
More likely to reply by snail mail than email, although nothing is set in stone. If they are very anxious to discuss possible representation and/or need they may telephone you

An SASE could contain anything, but in my experience most likely a rejection or request for additional material.

funidream

Registered
Reaction score
Most requests for partials from snail mails usually came via email, and most SASEs would contain rejection notices.

BUT... every once in a while, the dreaded SASE would be the conveyor of good news. The agent I ended up signing with, who ended up getting me a 2-book deal with Berkley/Penguin, requested a full using my SASE. She is a Luddite, and prefers to do most of her communication via the telephone machine, and has only recently begun using email.

I was in a particularly crummy mood the day her request for a full arrived (she went right to a full request based on first five pages I included with every snail query) and so I didn't even open it, figuring it for another rejection. I actually let it sit an entire weekend, unopened.

The moral to the story - open those SASEs, 'cause you never know! :tongue

cate townsend

Registered
Reaction score
In my experience, requests through the mail happen, but not often. Most come via email. I got my first request for a partial through my SASE last month, and I've been querying for over a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.