MS Word Auto-Summary

justsomeguy

Registered
Reaction score
So I'd never realized Word has an Auto-Summarize tool until someone mentioned it on a post over at the NaNo site.

You just go to Tools, then to AutoSummarize from there. I chose "Create a new document and put the summary there", then for "% of original" I chose "100 words or less". The result is hilarious, and I have less than no idea how the program decides what's relevant.

So here's mine, copied and pasted unaltered. Let's see yours.

All right. Now it’s time to worry. Paul
“I’ve seen them.”
“Right?”
“Yeah, I guess that sounds right. The time has arrived. Walk in.
*Jasmine.
If we have to. Waiting. Run, maybe. “All right. “All right man. I’ve never really liked driving.” *Saul never leaves the car.
I tell *Jasmine “Hit the gas. The women. Especially *Jasmine. The next door *Jasmine tries, 208, turns. Open the door. “More people”
Right?”
“*Jasmine?” Donna nods. *Saul stops at the back door. Ricky’s face never even has time to change expression. There’s time for that later.

EDIT
The asterisks are there to make finding names easier if I decide to change them later. I'm just not thrilled with some of the names but have decided that's just one of many, many things I can worry about after 12/1.

Last edited:

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think I've ever used Auto-Summarize. I assumed it would do something like you posted so I've never even tried it.

By the way, if you decide to change names, you can run "find and replace" under Edit and change all of them at once. That way you don't have to go through the document manually and change the names one-by-one.

Deccydiva

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score
I've just tried it, using 10%. I'm not going to post all of it, but a lot of the summary looks like this...

Liz drew herself up proudly.
Liz pulled her stool a little closer.
Liz looked at him, mystified.
Liz asked in horror.
Liz frowned, deep in thought.
Liz shuffled on the hard stool to get more comfortable.
Liz pondered on the horrors of years gone by.
Liz leaned closer, anxious to hear.

Argh!!! :scared:

Reaction score
I have Office 2007; anyone know which menu to go into to auto-summarise?

I'm still finding my feet around this thing...

Reaction score
There isn't a 'Tools' menu! The navigation's completely different to what I'm used to (97 with a 2000 upgrade).

Never mind, I'll have a faff about and see what I can come up with.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There isn't a 'Tools' menu! The navigation's completely different to what I'm used to (97 with a 2000 upgrade).

Never mind, I'll have a faff about and see what I can come up with.
Ain't Microsoft fun to deal with sometimes!

Anyway, I was curious, so I looked it up. This might help:

In Word 2007, the AutoSummarize feature is still available, but MS decided to remove all references to it from the various ribbon tabs that make up the new interface. You can make the tool available by following these steps:
  1. Click the Office button and choose Word Options. Word displays the Word Options dialog box.
  2. Click Customize at the left side of the dialog box.
  3. Using the Choose Commands From drop-down list, choose Commands Not In the Ribbon.
  4. In the list of available commands, locate and select AutoSummary Tools.
  5. Click the Add button. The command is copied to the right side of the dialog box.
  6. Click OK to close the dialog box.
The AutoSummary tool now appears on the Quick Access toolbar. You can utilize this tool to provide a summary by following these steps:
  1. Load and display the document you want to summarize.
  2. Click the AutoSummary tool on the Quick Access toolbar. Word displays a submenu.
  3. Choose Auto Summarize from the submenu. Word performs an analysis of the document and displays the AutoSummarize dialog box.
  4. In the Type of Summary area, specify which of the four summary types you want to create.
  5. In the Length of Summary area, indicate by using the Percent of Original drop-down list exactly how long you want the summary to be.
  6. Click on the OK button. Word creates the summary, as you directed.

Reaction score
I eventually found it, thanks!

My summary is too embarrassing to paste.

Oh, you insist?

All right then...

“Marie!”
“Marie!”
God.”
“Well. “Marie!”
“Gray?”

Yes, two of my characters are called Marie and Gray.

And, apparently, some 'God' fella.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, apparently, AutoSummarize only works well summarizing the lyrics to Louie, Louie!

;-)

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Well it picked up a lot of my little XXX note to self XXX stuff. Other than that it fixated on a minor character - it barely even mentions the second MC and the main guy is completely missing

It also seems to have picked all the action tags that I'm planning on changing cos they're too boring lol

XXX
‘Are you Pasha? ‘I’m Pasha. ‘Pasha! Pasha shrugged. Pasha shrugged uncomfortably. XXX
Pasha shot me a XXX worried? Jake barely flinched. Pasha scowls. XXX
XXX
Pasha’s mouth twitched sadly. Pasha sighed. Pasha shrugged. XXX
XXX ??? Pasha laughed. XXX ??? Pasha asked.
Pasha nodded shortly. Pasha grinned. XXX
XXX
Like Jake? Pasha is -- unwell. XXX shrugged. Tam turned to Jake and Pasha. XXX ??? I wanted to help Jake and Pasha. XXX???XXX emotion here XXX
Jake shook her head. Jake snorted. XXX
Pasha began.
XXX talking heads XXX
XXX

sunna

Registered
Reaction score
Tried it at 10%, then 100 words, then 500 words. I laughed so hard I fell out of my chair.

Definitely, definitely not posting that summary. Let's just say Word seems to have a fondness for my characters shouting each others' names, and leave it at that. If I didn't know better I'd swear I just wrote a 97,000 word orgy.

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Definitely, definitely not posting that summary. Let's just say Word seems to have a fondness for my characters shouting each others' names, and leave it at that. If I didn't know better I'd swear I just wrote a 97,000 word orgy.

:ROFL:

PM it? :D

sunna

Registered
Reaction score
I dunno, I'm just not sure you'll respect me in the morning....

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
OK, this was pretty funny. At least they got in the hero's name a lot (Drais) and it did touch on a few of the key points so far.

"Your sword, Drais."
"Speak, man."
"Drais is one man."
Drais nodded. "Gather the men. Not Drais. Drais demanded.
Drais thumped his back, a man's reassurance to a man. "How stand your men?"
Rhoald smiled as well. "I am a man, my king. "Even we are mortal men, Drais." Drais patted his shoulder. Drais sounded certain. Drais frowned. Drais demanded.
Drais had arrived.
Sullore asked.
Drais regarded the wizard. Some men fell. Sullore moved around to inspect Drais. The man's expression relaxed. Sullore glanced back at the man. The man nodded enthusiastically. "Rhoald was the Reborn King."

Does seem to be really fixated on men though, doesn't it? LOL!

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
:ROFL: I've never tried that option before. I haven't stopped laughing yet, but I probably will when I come to edit. What was my MC's name again?

“Goodbye, Andrei.”
Andrei did not turn. Andrei sighed. Andrei hesitated. Andrei smiled. Andrei took the letter. Andrei felt lonely.
Andrei remembered for them.
Andrei stared at her. Andrei felt stung. Andrei stood. Andrei couldn’t help staring. Andrei stared at her. Don’t worry Andrei. Andrei said. Andrei sighed. “Andrei! Andrei nodded. Andrei felt suddenly tired. Andrei stood up. Good luck, Andrei.”
Andrei sighed. Andrei located it. Andrei made himself comfortable. Andrei stared, transfixed. Andrei absorbed the news. Andrei stood. Andrei felt ready.

GeorgieB

Almost a wannabe writer
Registered
Reaction score
So I'd never realized Word has an Auto-Summarize tool until someone mentioned it on a post over at the NaNo site.

Okay, for someone who gave up using Word years ago, what does "auto-summarize" actually summarize?

Overused words/phrases?
Idioms?
Slang?

Curious George, at it again.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Tried it at 10%, then 100 words, then 500 words. I laughed so hard I fell out of my chair.

Good lord, you are not the only one!

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Oh dear God in heaven...I'm dying here.
“Kreegan D’uarr, el-Sar of Tel Adur?”
Kreegan shouted.
Kreegan asked.
Kreegan actually laughed. Kreegan challenged. Kreegan nodded. Kreegan sneered. Kreegan grunted.
Kreegan asked himself. Kreegan ignored him.
Kreegan agreed. “Kreegan,” King Adur said, firmly. Kreegan sneered. Kreegan asked John.
Now Kreegan dismounted. Kreegan nodded. Kreegan nodded. “I remember,” Kreegan lied. “Right,” Kreegan accepted. Markus nodded. Kreegan asked.
“Kreegan knows ogres,” John continued. Where is Kreegan’s?”
“Aye,” Kreegan said. “Kreegan.”
Kreegan asked. Kreegan asked.
Markus nodded. “Tel Adur! Tel Adur!”
“Kreegan!”
Kreegan nodded. Kreegan asked.
“Kreegan nodded again.
“Tel Adur! Tel Adur! Tel Adur!”

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
I did it for 100 words or less - it's too funny - basically the hero and heroine's names repeated - the hero's more so. I don't know why and I didn't realize I'd used it that much, :D

ETA - ah, what the hell...

“Heather?”
“Drew.”
“Heather,
Drew Radcliffe
Drew. Drew's clothes. Heather smiled. Drew groaned. “Lady Heather! Heather smiled. “Lady Heather?”
Drew chuckled. Drew
“Heather—”
“Heather—”
Drew's cabin. Drew sighed. “Drew?”
“Drew...”
“Drew?”
Drew sighed. Drew chuckled. Drew sighed. “Drew?”
“Drew!”
Heather turned to Drew. “Heather?”
“Drew! “Heather? “Drew! “Heather!” “Drew, watch—!”
“Drew?”
“Heather...?”
“Heather?”
“Drew?”
“Drew? “Drew?”
“Drew.”
“Drew!”
“Drew, stop.” Drew chuckled. Drew offered.
“Heather—”
“Drew?”
“Heather? “Drew, Heather—”
“Heather—”
Drew nodded. “Heather?”
“Heather? “Drew.”
“Drew?”
“Drew!” Heather smiled. Heather smiled. “Heather? “Drew!”
“Drew? “Drew?”
Drew nodded. Heather.
Drew nodded. “Drew!”
“Heather—”
Drew nodded. “Heather?”
“Heather—”
“Drew? Drew chuckled. “Drew.”

**facepalm**

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
It's like the SNL skit with the little girl trying to get her uncle "Rick's" attentions.

RICK! RICK! RICK! RICK!

:ROFL:

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Works 8 doesn't have auto summary, as far as I know, so I can't play. :(

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
I assume it's still under Tools on the drop-down menu.

In the biggest software blunder I can ever remember, Microsoft decided to destroy the most popular office automation product in history by making it completely inefficient, user-unfriendly, and difficult to use. Bye bye toolbars! Bye bye keyboard shortcuts! Hello "The ribbon."

Bye bye microsoft, if you ask me. I'm the biggest MS fan in the universe, and I feel like they shot me in the balls with a bazooka with the new version of office.

It even MOCKS YOU if you try to use the keyboard shortcuts you're used to.

"Oh... that's an OLD shortcut. I'll let you use it, you hackneyed old cuss, too stupid to learn the COOL RIBBON way."

justsomeguy

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, for someone who gave up using Word years ago, what does "auto-summarize" actually summarize?

Overused words/phrases?
Idioms?
Slang?

Curious George, at it again.

You got me curious, and a little Googling turned up the following,linked article in
Slate from way back in 1997. It include AutoSummaries of a handful of things like the ten commandments and Beowulf.

Here's the relevant paragraph, though you ought to follow the link.

"How does AutoSummarize work? According to Ron Fein of the Word 97 team, AutoSummarize cuts wordy copy to the bone by counting words and ranking sentences. First, AutoSummarize identifies the most common words in the document (barring "a" and "the" and the like) and assigns a "score" to each word--the more frequently a word is used, the higher the score. Then, it "averages" each sentence by adding the scores of its words and dividing the sum by the number of words in the sentence--the higher the average, the higher the rank of the sentence. "It's like the ratio of wheat to chaff," explains Fein."