Fame and the hazards that come with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thomas_Anderson

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, I'm kinda new here. So, uh hi.

Anyway, let me just start off by saying I know the writing career isn't as easy as publish one or two books and you're a famous celebrity in a mansion. No, I know that's about as far from the truth as possible, and you have to work really hard to get your foot in that door. However, I'm talking about after one gets established, and there's always that chance I'd become really big, but even if I do not become really big and famous, there'd still be a good number of books and stories with my name on them. Also, even small time writers, and friends of writers sometimes get interviews, right?

Now, for the question. I've heard the horror stories of famous people, or warnings for potentially famous people who could or do regret the things they've posted on the internet. I haven't done anything bad, just the typical flames on the internet, since I was younger then. However, nothing with my face or real name. Also, aside from petty squabbling over the internet, I don't want to be under the public microscope, simply because I just don't want to be bothered, and my family wouldn't want it anymore than me.

I want to get into sci-fi/fantasy fiction writing, and possibly journalism (likely gaming, but we'll see where that road leads). I know this must sound kinda paranoid, but I feel I just need to ask this as this fear may keep me away from writing. The guys who didn't like me from high school, and those who would disagree with me online, is there any chance that it'd come back to haunt me? Or is it basically just actors and politicians who have to worry about that stuff? Is Stephen King and Rowling under that constant microscope? Basically, it'd be nice to have my stories get attention, but I just don't want that much attention. Do you have to want to be under that microscope to be there?

Oh, and before you suggest it, I'd prefer not to use a pseudonym. If I become big enough, people could find out anyway. Besides, it just complicates things such as book signings and the like.

Karen Duvall

Chalice the Hatchet Knight
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.karenduvall.blogspot.com
Let me assure you that fame is the least of your worries. Your chances of becomeing famous for your writing are the same as winning the lottery. Probably worse. I don't think you have much to worry about. Once you get your first dozen or so rejections, your mind should be eased. You can breathe a huge sigh of relief after you've been writing for a couple of years and you're still struggling to get your first break. Even if you get an agent and a book contract right out of the gate, it would be highly unlikely you'll ever become a household name.

Don't let your fear of fame get in the way of your desire to write. It will only block you and prevent you from having a chance at success, slim as it may be. I can put your mind at ease right now. It won't happen. You'll write your book and love it and write another one, or you won't. Fame will have nothing to do with it. Good luck!

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome. :)

I don't think this is an unfounded worry, but it's not restricted to writing fame--or maybe, in this information age, restricted to even fame. The majority of individuals who are famous now (like King and Rowling) didn't really go through the Facebook and MySpace phenomenon that has become the norm. It's easy to find photos and contact info for many people. We'll see a shift in that kind of attention in a couple years, I'm sure, when people from this generation become famous. Maybe past discretions will become meaningless (everyone has them) or maybe not.

However, I think you have little to actually worry about because as Karen said, this kind of fame is rare and second, you have the foresight to know that what you do on the Internet isn't separate from your real, professional life. I wouldn't worry about skirmishes with old high school rivals--I've never heard such a thing from any celebrity or politican, and I doubt everyone liked Barack Obama or Stephen King in high school.

Like anything, be smart about what you do and say online and you'll be fine.

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Your fears seem very premature. Writing isn't all about fame and being under a microscope. In fact, for most of us, writing has very little to do with such things. We write because we want to (or have to, in some cases), or because writing is part of a profession, like journalism, that interests us most.

Anyone who puts him- or herself forward in a public way--as writer, artist, musician, dancer, actor, filmmaker or whatever--is apt to come under public scrutiny, whether favorable or unfavorable. Usually the scrutiny is centered on the work itself--prizes on the one hand, negative criticism on the other. Most writers never get much attention at all, and you usually have to become a celebrity before the attention gets personal. The tiny percentage of writers who become celebrities either have thick skins to start with or have have managed to develop them.

I'm guessing you are fairly young (your reference to "the guys who didn't like me in high school.") By the time you're a huge success, I feel sure the worries you express here will have dissipated.

:D

Thomas_Anderson

Registered
Reaction score
But JKR got famous in three books, and Chris Paolini got it in one. Granted that's a long shot but still. What about farther down the road, say five, ten years. My name isn't Tom Anderson, it's a movie reference, but nobody would know who I am even I were to become famous, right?

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
But JKR got famous in three books, and Chris Paolini got it in one. Granted that's a long shot but still. What about farther down the road, say five, ten years. My name isn't Tom Anderson, it's a movie reference, but nobody would know who I am even I were to become famous, right?

Probably not, but then again I'm no techie expert. There are all sorts of things like IP addresses that can lead you back to someone on the Internet, but I don't know how to do that. I'm not sure the average person does.

The thing about big fame is that nobody can expect it or plan for it. But if you wouldn't talk about it in real life, don't discuss it on the Internet. That's not fame-specific. It's no secret that employers Google names and resumes. Teens have been kicked out of school for what they posted on MySpace.

Just be smart, that's all. And let's face it--Rowling and Paolini did get famous in only a couple of books, but what's the worst thing you've heard about them? Nothing you can't deal with, and fans like the books so much they don't care what somebody random has to say about the authors.

Last edited:

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
Most writers seem to have a comfortable level of fame. They get invited to do interviews and attend things, but rarely get recognised in the street.

Hollywood actors and politicians have this tendency to do news-worthy things. Like have affairs and get involved in dodgey business dealings. They also tend to move to big cities where the media can see them. You don't have to do any of that. Live out in the sticks somewhere and keep it legal (some actors and singers opt to do just that, and don't get hounded by the media as a result).

Samantha's_Song

At least I don't need backing-up
Registered
Reaction score
LOL @ the posting. For myself, I've been in skirmishes on the internet, and using my real name too, I've even been banned forever from one site and have to use a pseudonym to still use it. But I don't worry about that, to me, it shows people that I have strength of character and won't be quieted just because I've stepped on someone else's toes... I'm not a sheep.
I would be more worried about people finding out the embarrassing things I've done in my real life, rather than on the internet :D

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
We will always know how to find you, Mr. Anderson.

Now for some cheap (free) psychoanalysis, your worry about instant fame is probably just one more excuse to delay writing. We all have plenty of them. The other possibility is that you long for fame behind this coy mask of aversion. Another not uncommon ailment.

The bottom line is: If you really want to write, write. The work itself must be your core concern, not any byproduct of the work. Otherwise, why bother? The last thing the world needs is another hollow book*.

*Eliot's original version:

We are the hollow books,
We are the stuffed books,
Leaning together, dustcovers stuffed with straw...

This is the way literature ends,
Not with a bang, but a whimper.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
There is no such thing as true anonymity on the internet. You can get away with quite a bit of anonymity, but the tech savvy of your fans would probably be able to track you down if they put enough effort into it. Whether or not you actually become famous (you already know the odds), it is still worth remembering that everything you put out on the internet stays on the internet. Even if you think you've deleted it.

I write for children. Therefore I am very careful in my language and references to certain topics. I don't pretend that my presence here or on other boards isn't an adult one, with adults opinions, but I am a lot more careful with how and what I say than when I am hanging out with my friends. My blog, which IS under my name, and has been found by some of my readers, though written for adults, lacks any "adult" themes or nature, and I avoid swearing altogether.

But this is a choice I made. I have many opportunities hanging out with my friends to be relaxed and myself 100%, I don't need to use such a public space as the internet for that. You have to choose how you want people to perceive you, if you want to be entirely open an honest, that is a totally valid choice, if you want to keep some things to yourself, that too is your decision to make.

Even if fame never comes your way, it bodes well to not think of the internet as entirely anonymous. Aside from the fact that it isn't, it makes one have to think before writing things down, it makes one a bit more sensitive about others' feelings as opposed to safe hiding behind a mask.

If anyone is interested, I actually wrote a blog entry on this topic a while ago: http://ididntchoosethis.blogspot.com/2008/02/anonymous.html

Reaction score
Plenty of people on AW know my real name - my real full name, I mean. For reasons of privacy I prefer they call me SP or anything related to my username instead of directly identifying me but the odd one still slips through now and again.

I'm sure if someone wanted to trace me they could, especially as I have a photo of myself on my profile and have been open about the city in which I live, in the past.

There's always a paper trail or e-trail leading you back to someone; it just comes down to are you important enough for someone to bother? Most times the answer is no, but there's always some loon out there or someone bearing a grudge.

I know for a fact there are people out there who dislike me enough to bitch and moan when I hit the big time - and yes it will happen! :D Does it bother me enough to avoid fame, or should I say, success? No. They're not important enough to me for me to hold back from trying to make my dreams a reality.

However, I know - I just know - there's embarrassing stuff out there that's going to come back and bite me some day. Ex boyfriends, old blog posts, silly stuff I said in the heat of the moment.

Ah well, I can deal.

If you're connected to the internet, you're traceable. That's all there is to it.

I know people often say, "If you wouldn't say it to someone's face, don't say it at all." Well I'm ballsy enough to get in your face and say it, so...my words being on the internet isn't that much of a problem for me. It'll be embarrassing some days, no doubt, but...meh. They're out there now, nothing I can do to un-say them.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Writers are low on the fame totem pole, even the superstars such as King or Rowling. Don't sweat it.

When you become a superstar, let us know, because truly I don't keep track.

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW, and don't take anything below as a slam. It's blunt, but it's meant to be a serious look at this business (and on behavior on the internet).

Reality check #1. Your view of writing is grandiose, and while we all hope you achieve your writing goal, we have to direct your focus on the ground, not on the clouds. And on the ground are your written words--your books. You will be judged by your written work. No one will care if you had high school enemies (and even they can't dislodge your books). If you have been rude and made enemies on the internet, you will still be judged by your written work. If you have done anything to embarrass yourself on the internet and some jerk dredges it up, it won't take away your written work. Your worry right now should be what's right in front of you, on the ground, not the ethereal mysticism up in the clouds. If you want to reach for those clouds, you first have to wallow in the dirt with the rest of us "small time writers."

Reality check #2. Internet behavior (as well as real-life behavior) should be controlled, not because something may come back to bite you once you become famous, but because it is the right thing to do. Period.

Reality check #3. The kind of fame you are asking about comes to probably less than 1% of the published writers out there. Realize that the other 99% of published writers are what you are calling "small time writers":
Also, even small time writers, and friends of writers sometimes get interviews, right?
I suspect most of those published writers will find your characterization to be insulting, particularly since you will have to work your a$$ off, and be quite talented, just to be included in this club of "small time writers."

So, I would suggest an attitude adjustment. Roll up your sleeves and join us on the surface of this planet. The only way to live in the clouds is to earn it, and that takes hard work, it takes the ability to soak up advice and criticism, and it takes a little humility (although this business is very good at slamming it into us). Oh, yeah. Sometimes it takes a good dose of luck as well. Stay with us. Share your experience and we'll share ours, and we all can improve in this business.

One other thing. Once you get your first publishing contract, come back and re-read the original post of yours in this thread. I suspect you'll be entertained. And it will speak of the tremendous growth you've achieved to become successfully published.

Last edited:

Samantha's_Song

Registered
Reaction score
Ditto. Actually, I'm much more tactless in real life than I am on the internet. You can rewrite something before you send it via a computer, whereas saying it doesn't give us that option, it's not like we can actually rewind it is it ;)

I know people often say, "If you wouldn't say it to someone's face, don't say it at all." Well I'm ballsy enough to get in your face and say it, so...my words being on the internet isn't that much of a problem for me. It'll be embarrassing some days, no doubt, but...meh. They're out there now, nothing I can do to un-say them.

Reaction score
Ditto. Actually, I'm much more tactless in real life than I am on the internet. You can rewrite something before you send it via a computer, whereas saying it doesn't give us that option, it's not like we can actually rewind it is it ;)

Google cache knows all and google cache sees all.

Samantha's_Song

Registered
Reaction score
Well, ya know, I'd be more worried about people seeing the awful typos and grammar mistakes I've made, than anything I'd actually said on the net ;)

Google cache knows all and google cache sees all.

Cybernaught

Decker
Registered
Reaction score
Man, and here I am worrying about if I'll ever be taken seriously enough and if my stories hold merit; fame never even crossed my mind. Some people just have it easy, I guess. I wish I were at a point where I didn't have to worry about the quality of my writing anymore, and instead worry about how hard I'll have it being rich and famous. :D

Cybernaught

Decker
Registered
Reaction score

Thomas, Christopher Paollini was a marketing ploy and JK Rowling just happened to write the right book at the right time. I'm not saying that you have no chance of becoming a huge worldwide best seller, but if that's the only reason you're in this business, you need a reality check. You've a better chance of finding the Holy Grail.

If all you want to do is become famous, make a Youtube video of you doing something stupid.

Samantha's_Song

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, but when you're running away from snapping photographers, autograph hunters, and sex-starved groupies, you'll know where you were better off, won't you! :D

I would hate all of that paparazzi crap. I'd be the one in the newspapers every day for hitting some over zealous photographer with my pink handbag lol.

I wish I were at a point where I didn't have to worry about the quality of my writing anymore, and instead worry about how hard I'll have it being rich and famous. :D

Cybernaught

Decker
Registered
Reaction score
I can't stand the media, which idiolizes the self-absorbed, vain and petty. It's never about the art with celebrities. It's about where they bought their dress or who they're hooking up with or what they have to say about environmental issues, like they honestly pondered a solution. This is one of the reasons I respect writers so much. Most are down to earth and keep out of the limelight. It's about the work. That's all that matters.

Last edited:

smcc360

I've Got An MFA In LEO
Registered
Reaction score
Thomas, I can understand and appreciate your concerns. In today's fast-paced digital age, it's all too easy to become innundated by unwanted attention, tossed upon the seas of public acclaim, and torn asunder by the riptide of critical backlash.

So here's the plan: Once you've crafted the novel which will establish you as the Brett Easton Ellis/Tucker Max of your generation, feel free to slap my name on the cover. Yes, that's right. I will bear the brunt of the fame, fortune, and acclaim that will pour down like a Himalayan avalanche, leaving you free to Create.

As a two-fisted man of action, I'm ready to endure the rigorous onslaught of blood-sucking paparazzi, obsessed Annie Wilkes-esque fans, and jaded, sexually ravenous young heiresses. Because helping people isn't just something I do. It's something I am.

Good luck to you. And I wish you all the success with your writing that you could hope for.

PS- I express these same sentiments, and this same offer, to all members of AW.

Reaction score
I can't stand the media, which idiolizes the self-absorbed, vain and petty. It's never about the art with celebrities. It's about where they bought their dress or who they're hooking up with or what they have to say about environmental issues, like they honestly pondered a solution. This is one of the reasons I respect writers so much. Most are down to earth and keep out of the limelight. It's about the work. That's all that matters.

I couldn't agree with you more.

I couldn't agree with you less.

Tarring all celebrities with the same brush seems more than a trifle unfair to me. It's 'never' about the art? Oh? For everyone who's famous? Wow.

And celebrities are allowed to have opinions on environmental issues too, just as we are, by virtue of the fact they're people with brains. Yes, brains.

There are some famous folks I can't stand. Some I like.

Bit like the rest of the population really.

Status
Not open for further replies.