Adverse Reactions To Drastic Weight Loss

lauram

Freddie Mercury Devotee
Registered
Reaction score
I am researching the bad side effects of rapid weight loss and yo-yo dieting, and I was wondering if anyone wanted to share personal stories (can use a pseudonym). I know that: hair loss; gall stones; unhealthy skin, hair, and nails; and many other problems are possible, but I am trying to get some personal experiences to give in my article.

Thanks for anyone who is willing to share!

Laura

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
No personal experience, but extreme and rapid weight loss can have negative effects on the heart. It has something to do with the thinning of the organ's walls, obviously weakening it.

C.M. Daniels

Cinnamon, sit. Bad fish!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.opendiary.com
A friend of mine went on a drastic diet once, and lost way too much weight far too quickly. It put his galbladder into a snit and he had to have it removed.

chevbrock

Registered
Reaction score
I think also that drastic weight loss has a bad effect on the heart, because it messes up your potassium levels, causing irregular heartbeat and even heart failure (I'm sure the more medicially knowledgable among us will be along soon to confirm or debunk this)

Off the top of my head, I'm also thinking loss of menstrual cycle, muscle wastage, and the myriad of diseases caused by a lack of vitamins and minerals.