PDA

View Full Version : DYBBUK PRESS seek. subs. Deadline Dec 1

Gillhoughly
11-18-2008, 03:42 AM
Seeking short stories for the DYBBUK PRESS anthology SHE NAILED THE STAKE THROUGH HIS HEAD: Tales of Biblical Terror (working title).

From Tim Lieder http://www.dybbuk-press.com/

What I'm looking for: Short stories primarily, ideally between 1000 - 12000 words. All stories must be based in some way on Biblical stories. Actually have a familiarity with the Bible. I may consider poems if they are particularly good but I hate 99% of all poems I read. This is primarily a horror anthology so the creepier the better. In many of these stories, you really don't have to work too hard to make them horrific.

Shouldn't be said, but please don't send me stories that are so ungrammatical and clumsy in their execution that they hurt to read. Style counts. Style counts a lot. I am a great fan of authors with great style. I'll read Tanith Lee's 5th grade essay on why she wants a pony before I even think of picking up another Dan Brown book for any other purpose beyond hurling it at the wall.

Suggested: Retellings of Biblical Stories from the perspective of another character; Kiastic Storytelling; Deconstructionist Commentary akin to Rashi; Biblical stories retold in different literary styles (high adventure, Victorian, Romance, Mystery, etc.); Modern stories told in the Biblical style (Best use Robert Alter's Art of Biblical Poetry and Art of Biblical Narrative if you want a crash course); Parodies of Prophets. Basically if you're sticking with Biblical tales in Biblical times you have about 1500 years to work with. Empires rose and fell in this time.

Lists of Some books that may Help: Torah Study 101; Ibn Ezra; 25 Jewish Books; Bible Study Sampler; Outrageous Tales from the Old Testament

What I'm NOT looking for: Normally this is the place where I say that I don't want any vampires, werewolves or ghosts but if you can stick a vampire into a King David story or put zombies in Ancient Assyria then I actually want to see it.

Primarily, no preachiness. If your story is nothing more than an excuse to get on a pulpit, I'm not interested. That cuts all ways. The Left Behind series would have been fun in a goofy crazy way if it didn't keep stopping to tell the reader that JESUS IS LORD (then again, its audience wouldn't have made it a bestseller). But that also goes for atheist stories.

And please, no stories about how all the goddess worshippers were beautiful earth mothers until the mean old monotheists came along and killed everyone. I read enough of that Starhawk crap during my collegiate hippie phase.

I should also note that I've been publishing a lot of books geared toward adolescent males recently - splatterpunk, tough guy fiction, etc. - and I'm getting a little sick of the lack of decent female characters. So stories with strong women characters (there are plenty in the Bible - Sarah, Jezebel, Yael, Devorah, Rivkah, Esther, etc.) will make me happy.

Pay: $50 advance against equal share of royalties to be paid out no later than publication.

Reading Period: December 1 - December 31, 2008. All stories submitted before December 1 will be deleted unread!

Send to: tim_lieder (AT) yahoo - .rtf or .doc format only. If you want to put it in the body of the text, well go ahead.

lauram
11-18-2008, 09:12 AM
Aw, man, I dont' think I have anything in the works that'll fit this mold, but I truly love the working title!!!

Calla Lily
11-18-2008, 06:59 PM
Gillhoughly, is spec fic okay?

Gillhoughly
11-19-2008, 04:07 AM
I'm not the editor, just passing on a link I got in the SFWA newsletter.

Go to the website and check with their head honcho.

I'm like a lot of writers--it's a cool idea, I don't have the time to do anything, but I hope others here can use the info. http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/icons/icon12.gif

Calla Lily
11-19-2008, 04:18 AM
I hear and obey. :)

Tburger
12-07-2008, 06:13 PM
I'm not the editor, just passing on a link I got in the SFWA newsletter.

Go to the website and check with their head honcho.

I'm like a lot of writers--it's a cool idea, I don't have the time to do anything, but I hope others here can use the info. http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/icons/icon12.gif

Gill: you're my hero.

donroc
12-07-2008, 06:38 PM
FYI:

May 2007, Lieder sent me a bizarre rejection regarding my A GATHERING OF VULTURES. A few minutes later I received an email from another publisher who accepted it.

Then, in October he sent me a spammail announcing a new book.

A few months later I received another spammail from him describing that he needed $$$ to pay the rent and was auctioning off on ebay many books and CDs.

Calla Lily
12-08-2008, 04:44 AM
I subbed last night. :e2BIC:

Marian Perera
12-09-2008, 05:25 AM
I subbed tonight. First time I've sent out a short story submission in 10 years. :e2bouncey

Calla Lily
12-09-2008, 05:48 AM
Good luck, Queen!

jimmysdevoted
01-09-2009, 09:27 AM
Lansman!

Since you are geared toward a jewish flavor and the title of your company is Dybbuk, why no stories like the Golem of Prague told a bit differently? What about the Zahor parables?
I mean what if we who are students who are knwledgeable of the other side of the coin stories? Would you consider these?

Unimportant
01-10-2009, 08:10 AM
jimmysdevoted, the market listed in the first post of this thread is now closed to submissions. Also, it wasn't listed by the editor of the anthology, so you can't directly address him here; you'd have to go to the publisher's website to get his contact details.