PDA

View Full Version : Small items found in the average suburban house that could be used as a weapon

Barb D
11-18-2008, 02:17 AM
I'm trying to think of small items that could be used as weapons and could be quickly found in an average suburban house. It has to be able to fit in a knapsack. I thought of a baseball bat or lacrosse stick, but they're too long for the backpack. Something along those lines, though.

My character is looking desperately around for handy things to take with him to the 16th century. Let's assume this household has no guns, or that they're not accessible to the character.

He already has a knife and a multi-tool. And a belt with a buckle.

Be creative!

Clio
11-18-2008, 02:26 AM
What about a meat tenderiser? I don't know if you have them in your part of the globe, Barb, but we (UK) have heavy wooden ones, and the square block that you actually bash into your raw steak has rows of sharp pointy bits! Might be nice. Your hero may also be able to utilise a nice sharp pizza slicer.

ETA: (I'm getting evil) An ice cream scoop could do great damage to testicles of enemies...

Del
11-18-2008, 02:30 AM
cleaning products. make poison gases and explosives in seconds.

If you take ammonia and mix...

Hey, who are you guys? What are you doing? Let me go....

**Hauled off by the ATF**

lakotagirl
11-18-2008, 02:32 AM
I wouldn't go to the 16th century without my lighter.

My MIL has mace. That might be helpful.

Sarpedon
11-18-2008, 02:32 AM
Knife. pestle. Knife sharpener. Screwdriver. Hammer (my #1 pick) Claw or ball-peen or sledgehammer. Scissors. Paperweight. Rock. piece of firewood. Frozen Leg of Lamb (Hitchcock). Axe or hatchet. I, of course, have a couple of swords in my home, but I'm weird. Pottery Shard. Length of pipe. Piece of Rebar. Brick. Pruning hook. Chainsaw (there are such things as small chainsaws). Cordless Power Drill. Awl. Virtually any tool. Glass bottle. Lamp. Can of gasoline. Length of wire. a nylon. Spade or Trowel. Rake. Hoe. Metal Bucket. A sock filled with steel washers. Chair leg. Crowbar. Certain kinds of handsaw. Jar of ball-bearings. Tire iron. Lawn mower blade (mmm-hmmm). Iron. Skillet.

Ms Hollands
11-18-2008, 02:34 AM
A hammer or a rubber mallet perhaps. Or a rolling pin. Saucepan or frying pan. A lighter (maybe not a weapon as such, but handy to have for a whole swag of reasons, possibly including weapons such as moletov cocktails etc.)

Ms Hollands
11-18-2008, 02:35 AM
Damn, that'll teach me to have a conversation between seeing an unanswered post and actually replying to it...

vixey
11-18-2008, 02:36 AM
Letter opener
Pen knife (though it wouldn't do much harm)
Scissors
Candlestick (ala Clue)
knitting needle

Chase
11-18-2008, 02:48 AM
1. My Leatherman tool has a saw blade, but I would want to keep it in reserve and take a folding camp saw or a key-hole saw for fashioning other tools and weapons.

2. Small circular saw blades make good throwing/sailing objects for taking small game. Bolted to the end of a chain, they are formidable swinging defense against larger animals.

3. Long nails, screws, and bolts.

4. Lengths of chain

5. Rope.

6. Wire.

Barb D
11-18-2008, 03:12 AM
You guys are awesome! Lots of ideas here. My mind wasn't coming up with anything.

MaryMumsy
11-18-2008, 03:14 AM
Ice pick.

MM

katiemac
11-18-2008, 03:18 AM
I was going to suggest candlestick like vixey.

Don't forget items that are essentially useless but could scare the crap out of somebody from the 16th century. An iPod with a recording that speaks the "voice of God" might do the trick...

2Wheels
11-18-2008, 03:27 AM
Antibiotics. Pain killers. A roll of duct tape. Portable water purifier (or tablets). Dictionary of Old English. Coinage. Compass. Waterproof matches. Not exactly weapons any of them, but useful to have.

Deb Kinnard
11-18-2008, 03:32 AM
Sarp, you're scarin' me.

I'd take my marble rolling pin. I could do major damage with that puppy. And matches and a can of hair spray. "Take that, foul fiends!" and WHOOSH....

waylander
11-18-2008, 03:37 AM
Drain cleaner, magnifying glass, nail gun
Butane powered aerosol

FennelGiraffe
11-18-2008, 04:15 AM
How soon after arrival will he need the weapons? Is he going to be staying a while, or just in and out? If he isn't anticipating an immediate attack and has only one knapsack worth of space, he shouldn't bother with anything made of wood, stone, or iron. Those will be locally available.

In addition to all the pointy and/or sharp objects already suggested: darts (from a dart board). Fishing line. Kids' jacks might be usable as caltrops. Something that isn't in every household, but reasonably could be in a particular one: a modern arm-braced slingshot.

Protective gear (he can wear, not carry this): a football helmet (or at least a bike helmet), goggles, an athletic cup. Hiking boots or steel-toe boots. ETA: leather gloves.

Painkillers, antibiotics, antidiarrheals, antiseptics, bandages, vitamins. Any other medicine he can find.

Hand-crank flashlight. One of those silver space blankets. A water bottle.

Jewelry, or anything else, made of gold or silver, also gemstones.

FinbarReilly
11-18-2008, 05:37 AM
Does he have five minutes before he has to leave? He can make a taser (http://www.spike.com/video/how-can-you-make/3025866) if he doesn't already have one. Also, if he's a gamer, odds are he'll four-sided dice (useful as caltrops). And if he was an old school designer or modeller, odds are he would have an Exacto knife or box cutter.

And don't forget that a deck of cards or MP3 player would be useful....

FR

Mike Martyn
11-18-2008, 06:05 AM
I was going to suggest candlestick like vixey.

Don't forget items that are essentially useless but could scare the crap out of somebody from the 16th century. An iPod with a recording that speaks the "voice of God" might do the trick...

Or it might get you burned at the stake for witch craft! The local priest would NOT like you breaking in on his monopoly!

Red-Green
11-18-2008, 07:08 AM
The leg off an old dining room table, which tend to have four inch bolts poking out of them. They look like medieval weapons.

comradebunny
11-18-2008, 07:51 AM
Things I have in my house that have not been mentioned:

awl, rotary cutter, needle nose pliers

Bravo
11-18-2008, 07:52 AM
trashbags to cover yourself when it rains and get clean water.

MsK
11-18-2008, 08:03 AM
A large Mag-Lite flashlight.

Bravo
11-18-2008, 08:09 AM
also pepper spray and a taser. they wont know what hit em. :D

Ziljon
11-18-2008, 08:11 AM
I'd bring an oven mit, a jar of peanut butter, talcum powder, and a persimmon.;)

CatSlave
11-18-2008, 08:19 AM
An old-fashioned spring-loaded mousetrap.

Barb D
11-18-2008, 08:39 AM
Or it might get you burned at the stake for witch craft! The local priest would NOT like you breaking in on his monopoly!

Yeah, an evil priest has already confiscated his sister's cell phone, using the same threat.

The current character is off to rescue said sister, who dropped the magic coin she used to time travel.

He's loosely based on my 17yo son, who is way too logical. He wants me to let him use the coin to travel to a gun shop for a gun, a renaissance fair for a sword, etc. He says he'd take gasoline to start fires. He's begging me to let him take a machete. He wanted to destroy the story altogether by simply saying to the coin, "take me to Polly," rescuing her and getting home. HOLD YOUR HORSES, KID! I need a plot!

ETA:

Protective gear (he can wear, not carry this): a football helmet (or at least a bike helmet), goggles, an athletic cup. Hiking boots or steel-toe boots. ETA: leather gloves.

My son is a football player, and also insisted he would bring his football helmet. Of course, this would destroy my plot element of being knocked out by a small child throwing a stone at his head. I did have him change into work boots.

Jenifer
11-18-2008, 08:42 AM
Shorter bat. http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h276/DianneOnly/tease.gif

My brother made me one on the wood lathe at school... I used to sleep with it before the last move, horrible neighborhood. Horrible as in the bat was not on the nightstand or under the pillow but actually in my hands.

GeorgeK
11-18-2008, 07:48 PM
I wouldn't go to the 16th century without my lighter.

My MIL has mace. That might be helpful.

[british accent] Shes a witch, burn her!

A thing that's cheap now but was expensive then...salt, spices.
A packet of dental floss...long strong thin strands would be almost unheard of and hense very expensive

I, of course, have a couple of swords in my home, but I'm weird. .

We do our own butchering. You should see THAT cabinet.

waylander
11-18-2008, 08:09 PM
A thing that's cheap now but was expensive then...salt, spices.

Seconded.
Pepper and sugar

synthmon
11-18-2008, 09:29 PM
The hair spray can - lighter thing would be my first bet. Have you ever seen those things go off? Gives you a nice, portable flame-thrower and it's not like it weighs a ton. Besides, I'd get pretty freaked out if I were a 16th century witchhunter and some bloke turns up and throws flame at me out of nowhere.

Then again, if you don't want to get burned at the stake, that's going to make things a tad bit difficult.

hammerklavier
11-19-2008, 08:38 PM
Besides a few weapons and camping supplies, his best bet would be trade goods the locals might like: jewlery, pens and paper, silverware, etc.

Sarpedon
11-19-2008, 08:46 PM
I think it would be good for him to have something that is identifiably a weapon. To go around apparently unarmed is not a good idea in some places/cultures.

redpbass
11-19-2008, 11:40 PM
I'd say a few screwdrivers, a hammer, and a good, solid kitchen knife for starters. Not one of those flimsy little steak knives, I mean one of those big kitchen knives that's at least 1/8" thick at the back, preferably more. Also, anything you have on your person is likely to be very valuable, so every criminal out there is going to see you as a target. You'd better be able to defend yourself.

I wonder what an archaeologist would think, digging up these modern tools in a site that dates back to that time? heh

dirtsider
11-20-2008, 12:29 AM
Yep, definitely either screwdriver, hammer or a good solid knife, like redpbass said. If not a kitchen knife, then a hunting knife or something similar to that. That would be seen as a dagger. But the spices are a good bet. Just about anything from the kitchen cabinet, particularly salt, peppercorns (not the grated pepper, although that works too) and tea/coffee beans.

SouthernFriedJulie
11-21-2008, 04:06 AM
Does he have five minutes before he has to leave? He can make a taser (http://www.spike.com/video/how-can-you-make/3025866) if he doesn't already have one. Also, if he's a gamer, odds are he'll four-sided dice (useful as caltrops). And if he was an old school designer or modeller, odds are he would have an Exacto knife or box cutter.

And don't forget that a deck of cards or MP3 player would be useful....

FR

Give an old fashioned gamer some toothpicks, duct tape, and dice, they're take over the 16th century.

My top picks:
Heavy lead fishing weights, preferably the pyramid shaped ones and high test fishing line. Tie the weights to the line, you have a very effective weapon. The line alone can be used for strangulation, cutting..and...erm. Yes, must sign off now, clean computer.

Smiling Ted
11-21-2008, 08:41 AM
He's loosely based on my 17yo son, who is way too logical. He wants me to let him use the coin to travel to a gun shop for a gun, a renaissance fair for a sword, etc. He says he'd take gasoline to start fires. He's begging me to let him take a machete. He wanted to destroy the story altogether by simply saying to the coin, "take me to Polly," rescuing her and getting home. HOLD YOUR HORSES, KID! I need a plot!

At the risk of sounding like an ass - and I'm saying this with a smile, really and truly -

Your son isn't too logical.
You are too lazy.

Don't make your characters stupid for the sake of your plot.
It's your job to confront them with obstacles that will be difficult even when the characters are smart and thinking clearly.

Don't make your MCs stupid; make their obstacles hard.

Barb D
11-21-2008, 07:18 PM
At the risk of sounding like an ass - and I'm saying this with a smile, really and truly -

Your son isn't too logical.
You are too lazy.

Don't make your characters stupid for the sake of your plot.
It's your job to confront them with obstacles that will be difficult even when the characters are smart and thinking clearly.

Don't make your MCs stupid; make their obstacles hard.

Ah, Ted, but your smile looks WICKED. ;)

And you're absolutely right. I've had to find a way around everything my son comes up with. He is a bright, capable kid. He's also a wrestler (I've already let "him" use an "ankle pick take-down" on one of the bad guys), a football player, and a lifeguard. (I just wrote a scene where he assessed a collapsed 16th century child for breathing and heartbeat.)

lakotagirl
11-21-2008, 07:33 PM
[british accent]

We do our own butchering. You should see THAT cabinet.

Yeah, we have that cabinet too.

If I was going to the 16th century, I'd pack my roll-up solar panel and accessories. Comes in handy for camping ... would come in handy for the 16th century.

Smiling Ted
11-21-2008, 07:34 PM
Ah, Ted, but your smile looks WICKED. ;)

And you're absolutely right. I've had to find a way around everything my son comes up with. He is a bright, capable kid. He's also a wrestler (I've already let "him" use an "ankle pick take-down" on one of the bad guys), a football player, and a lifeguard. (I just wrote a scene where he assessed a collapsed 16th century child for breathing and heartbeat.)

And he keeps you on your toes as a writer.
What a terrific kid. Congrats!

Cory Emberson
12-20-2008, 11:36 PM
I know I'm late to the party, but your character could use an audio CD cracked in half. His/her forefinger would fit in the curved part at the center, and the broken CD makes a phenomenal cutting edge.

It's also shiny. :-)

Cory Emberson
12-20-2008, 11:38 PM
Legos. Big ones, on the floor, in the middle of the night when you're barefoot.

OUCH!