Small items found in the average suburban house that could be used as a weapon

Barb D

Registered
Reaction score
Website
bqdell.blogspot.com
I'm trying to think of small items that could be used as weapons and could be quickly found in an average suburban house. It has to be able to fit in a knapsack. I thought of a baseball bat or lacrosse stick, but they're too long for the backpack. Something along those lines, though.

My character is looking desperately around for handy things to take with him to the 16th century. Let's assume this household has no guns, or that they're not accessible to the character.

He already has a knife and a multi-tool. And a belt with a buckle.

Be creative!

Clio

In the mind warp pavilion
Registered
Reaction score
What about a meat tenderiser? I don't know if you have them in your part of the globe, Barb, but we (UK) have heavy wooden ones, and the square block that you actually bash into your raw steak has rows of sharp pointy bits! Might be nice. Your hero may also be able to utilise a nice sharp pizza slicer.

ETA: (I'm getting evil) An ice cream scoop could do great damage to testicles of enemies...

Last edited:

Del

Sky isn't falling, ground is rising
Registered
Reaction score
In a hole in the dark in a cold cold place
cleaning products. make poison gases and explosives in seconds.

If you take ammonia and mix...

Hey, who are you guys? What are you doing? Let me go....

**Hauled off by the ATF**

Sarpedon

Banned
Reaction score
Knife. pestle. Knife sharpener. Screwdriver. Hammer (my #1 pick) Claw or ball-peen or sledgehammer. Scissors. Paperweight. Rock. piece of firewood. Frozen Leg of Lamb (Hitchcock). Axe or hatchet. I, of course, have a couple of swords in my home, but I'm weird. Pottery Shard. Length of pipe. Piece of Rebar. Brick. Pruning hook. Chainsaw (there are such things as small chainsaws). Cordless Power Drill. Awl. Virtually any tool. Glass bottle. Lamp. Can of gasoline. Length of wire. a nylon. Spade or Trowel. Rake. Hoe. Metal Bucket. A sock filled with steel washers. Chair leg. Crowbar. Certain kinds of handsaw. Jar of ball-bearings. Tire iron. Lawn mower blade (mmm-hmmm). Iron. Skillet.

Last edited:

Ms Hollands

Cow lover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lefrancophoney.com
A hammer or a rubber mallet perhaps. Or a rolling pin. Saucepan or frying pan. A lighter (maybe not a weapon as such, but handy to have for a whole swag of reasons, possibly including weapons such as moletov cocktails etc.)

vixey

C'est la vie!
Registered
Reaction score
Letter opener
Pen knife (though it wouldn't do much harm)
Scissors
Candlestick (ala Clue)
knitting needle

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
1. My Leatherman tool has a saw blade, but I would want to keep it in reserve and take a folding camp saw or a key-hole saw for fashioning other tools and weapons.

2. Small circular saw blades make good throwing/sailing objects for taking small game. Bolted to the end of a chain, they are formidable swinging defense against larger animals.

3. Long nails, screws, and bolts.

4. Lengths of chain

5. Rope.

6. Wire.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
I was going to suggest candlestick like vixey.

Don't forget items that are essentially useless but could scare the crap out of somebody from the 16th century. An iPod with a recording that speaks the "voice of God" might do the trick...

2Wheels

Anachronista
Registered
Reaction score
Antibiotics. Pain killers. A roll of duct tape. Portable water purifier (or tablets). Dictionary of Old English. Coinage. Compass. Waterproof matches. Not exactly weapons any of them, but useful to have.

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
Sarp, you're scarin' me.

I'd take my marble rolling pin. I could do major damage with that puppy. And matches and a can of hair spray. "Take that, foul fiends!" and WHOOSH....

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Drain cleaner, magnifying glass, nail gun
Butane powered aerosol

FennelGiraffe

It's green they say
Registered
Reaction score
How soon after arrival will he need the weapons? Is he going to be staying a while, or just in and out? If he isn't anticipating an immediate attack and has only one knapsack worth of space, he shouldn't bother with anything made of wood, stone, or iron. Those will be locally available.

In addition to all the pointy and/or sharp objects already suggested: darts (from a dart board). Fishing line. Kids' jacks might be usable as caltrops. Something that isn't in every household, but reasonably could be in a particular one: a modern arm-braced slingshot.

Protective gear (he can wear, not carry this): a football helmet (or at least a bike helmet), goggles, an athletic cup. Hiking boots or steel-toe boots. ETA: leather gloves.

Painkillers, antibiotics, antidiarrheals, antiseptics, bandages, vitamins. Any other medicine he can find.

Hand-crank flashlight. One of those silver space blankets. A water bottle.

Jewelry, or anything else, made of gold or silver, also gemstones.

FinbarReilly

Registered
Reaction score
Website
twosparrows.5gigs.com
Does he have five minutes before he has to leave? He can make a taser if he doesn't already have one. Also, if he's a gamer, odds are he'll four-sided dice (useful as caltrops). And if he was an old school designer or modeller, odds are he would have an Exacto knife or box cutter.

And don't forget that a deck of cards or MP3 player would be useful....

FR

Mike Martyn

Registered
Reaction score
I was going to suggest candlestick like vixey.

Don't forget items that are essentially useless but could scare the crap out of somebody from the 16th century. An iPod with a recording that speaks the "voice of God" might do the trick...

Or it might get you burned at the stake for witch craft! The local priest would NOT like you breaking in on his monopoly!

comradebunny

"It *is* the rabbitt!"
Registered
Reaction score
Things I have in my house that have not been mentioned:

awl, rotary cutter, needle nose pliers

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
trashbags to cover yourself when it rains and get clean water.

MsK

Registered
Reaction score
A large Mag-Lite flashlight.

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
also pepper spray and a taser. they wont know what hit em. :D